Why are so few pursuing engineering degrees?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
The number of engineering graduates increased every year between 1976 and 1985 (perhaps the moon landing in 1969 stimulated interest in engineering?). Since then, the number has declined every year, except for 1995.

Conversely, lawyer's and MBAs are proliferating.

We need to reverse this trend in the US to prevent a shortage of engineers in the future.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Riprorin
The number of engineering graduates increased every year between 1976 and 1985 (perhaps the moon landing in 1969 stimulated interest in engineering?). Since then, the number has declined every year, except for 1995.

We need to reverse this trend in the US to prevent a shortage of engineers in the future.

a country with made up mostly of lawyers and MBA's. That'll be interesting. survival of the fittest.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
What kind of engineers are you referring too? CE? EE? Or some other type of Engineer?

I don't blame them, they keep outsourcing the few jobs that are available here.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
It's a hard major. Today, people want money, but they dont seem to want to work for it. I am not saying law is easy, but science tends to scare people.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
no no it's fine the way it is... that way those of us who are engineers get more money and better jobs ;)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Could be because the computer has largely replaced a lot of them. An engineer and a computer now can probably do the work 10 engineers could 20 years ago...and for way way less money.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
I'm a chemist myself, but wish I had done ChemE instead. My degree hasn't hurt me though.

I'm going to encourage my kids towards engineering. They're both good in math so you never know.

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Because salaries are bad when compared to other professions that require so many years of study & effort. It's cheap to import people, and foreigners settle for lower wages. If you don't count the top 30 engineering schools, 98% of engineering students are foreigners.

(the 98% figure is an obvious exageration)

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Because salaries are bad when compared to other professions that require so many years of study & effort. It's cheap to import people, and foreigners settle for lower wages. If you don't count the top 30 engineering schools, 98% of engineering students are foreigners.

(the 98% figure is an obvious exageration)

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Also, so few people pursue graduate degrees in engineering. Our engineering graduate schools are roughly 50% domestic students, 50% international students. If it weren't for international students, we'd be in big trouble.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
I was in Computer Science and was capitulating computer engineering. I got sick of computers. If I ever go back to school for a science degree, I will get one in aerospace engineering.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
well at my school, CE and EE are competitive majors, meaning that there are more applicants than there are slots in the program. only about 25-30% get in, at least for CE... not sure about EE.

BladeWalker

Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: ScottyB
I was in Computer Science and was capitulating computer engineering. I got sick of computers. If I ever go back to school for a science degree, I will get one in aerospace engineering.

Aerospace is not doing so hot lately. I'm an ME with aerospace background and I'm out of a job.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I don't know what you're talking about. So many damned EE's and CE's at my school. I'm having a hell of a time getting classes so I can finish my EE degree:|

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Riprorin

The thing is, there might not be a shortage any more. Business cycles used to not affect engineers jobwise, but now it does.