Why are people so serious about gaming?

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Im playing CSS and everyones talking trash, inner team trash talk

Its a game, its suppose to be fun, dont get all stressed about it

I usually get below a 1 KD ration but i love the fun i get from it.

Same for sports too, in ice hockey, if were done, i dont care, im having fun!

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Different scenario, but I played EVE for almost 5 years, and it was srs bsns when things were at stake that were literally hundreds or thousands of man-hours of work to acquire.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
real men are naturally competitive, you have to be serious to play hard and trash talking is usually a part of that regardless of what your playing...can't take it then play bejweled or something. in it to win it

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
Yea, people get really worked up. I love competing but I don't get angry about it. Pickup games can really go any way, from rolling one team or the other, stalemate, whatever. Granted, I don't like playing with people who don't know what they're doing when the shooter has been out for 4 or 5 months, but I take what I can get since I don't join clans often.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It's because (men) for the most part are hardwired to be hunters and gatherers and in this day and age there is very little of that in most modern cultures. There is also the competitive aspect. It really is no different than the gladiators of old except you don't REALLY die at the end.

There is also the bigger factor that if you think about it, even 20 years ago it was the same, there were the "jocks" who played sports, and there were the "geeks" who played games. The difference is these days it's actually more widely acceptable to play games.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Half the fun of playing online multiplayer games is the shit-talking. If you can't handle it, go play something else, noob.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
It's like that in anything competitive.

^ Exactly but to expand on this I would also add people in PC games speak from behind a keyboard where they are safe from insulting others. If they spoke like that in a situation where they were actually face to face they'd end up getting the snot beat out of them. Hence the reason you see more online insults than in real life situations.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
real men are naturally competitive, you have to be serious to play hard and trash talking is usually a part of that regardless of what your playing...can't take it then play bejweled or something. in it to win it

Half the fun of playing online multiplayer games is the shit-talking. If you can't handle it, go play something else, noob.

This time say it with more feeling! Maybe jump up and down, pound your chest a little and, grunt some. That ought to do it. :rolleyes:

It's a game. Wanna make believe its real or, the score counts for something? Real men do what they came to do and leave. Standing around trash talking is for adolescent losers no matter what their age.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
People get pretty serious about any hobby.

have you ever golfed with "serious" golfers or played softball with "serious" softball players?

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012

+1

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
This time say it with more feeling! Maybe jump up and down, pound your chest a little and, grunt some. That ought to do it. :rolleyes:

It's a game. Wanna make believe its real or, the score counts for something? Real men do what they came to do and leave. Standing around trash talking is for adolescent losers no matter what their age.

Sounds like you don't win much scrub.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Sounds like you don't win much scrub.

It is pretty obvious that anyone who is so excited about winning that they talk trash and celebrate isn't very used to winning. Like so many have said for years, when you win, act like you've been there before.

X98

Mar 1, 2012
i wanna win cuzz i like to show all them n00bs how big mah cawk is and that im a big mean motha f****r.......

yo

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Meh, not just for games.

Why are people so serious about sports?

Ever saw mobs of "supporters" on the streets rioting after a national sport team is defeated or even when they win? Different teams fans meeting on the street and trash talking or physically attacking each others, sometimes resulting in deaths? If it happens in person then it's also bound to happen with words (at the very least) in on-line gaming.

Yeah, the world of men is serious stuff bro.

It's also related to crowd psychology, in social psychology. Generally, you have people in actual physical crowds acting psychologically differently than if they would have been alone, and people at home physically alone whom act as if they were in an actual physical crowd when they play on-line games with live voice communication, which unconsciously implies the physical presence of individuals and forms a virtual collective/crowd psychology.

I had an interesting class about that subject years ago (that was back in 2005) when I took a Social Science Program during a semester in college, it was fascinating.

Last edited:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
It is pretty obvious that anyone who is so excited about winning that they talk trash and celebrate isn't very used to winning. Like so many have said for years, when you win, act like you've been there before.

Trash talking does not equates "excited about winning", scrub. It's about calling out the shitty players and making them feel bad.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
So Magnus and I took you off your game and made you feel bad? I have to admit that making you feel "bad" causes me no joy. Your crying is somewhat amusing though. I hope you grow out of this immaturity.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
So Magnus and I took you off your game and made you feel bad? I have to admit that making you feel "bad" causes me no joy. Your crying is somewhat amusing though. I hope you grow out of this immaturity.

Hey now, it's his God-given right to talk shit. If you don't like it, get yourself a different God.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Hey now, it's his God-given right to talk shit. If you don't like it, get yourself a different God.

Guess you told us! :D

I don't want sigurros81 to lose out on his fun though so, I'll do my best every so often to log on to his server and lose so he has something to feel better about. :)