Why are PC games cheaper than console games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Meh I ussually end up selling my PC's hardware while its still worth something and end up getting new PC hardware for a good price.

I sold my Opteron 160, 2GB DDR1, x1900XT, NF4 mobo and bought a Q6600, 8800GT, Intel P35 Mobo, and 4GB of RAM. It ended up being about $300 out of pocket. I had the original equipment for about 2 years? and now have a significantly faster rig. I have done something similar everytime I change out parts... All you have to do it time it right. Sell while your current HW is worth something look around in the Hot Deals forum for a few days and pick up the new equipment.

Then buy all the $30-40 brand new games I want instead of a $60 game or two. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Not only all that. Building and OCing PC's is a hobby of mine that is fun and enjoyable in its self.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I got a lot of my 360 games for $19.99 and $29.99 brand new (I don't buy used games). I also got BioShock and The Darkness for $49.99 (yeah, that's right, BOTH for $49.99). You just gotta wait for a good sale. Hell I just got the VERY new CoD4 for the 360 for $39.99. That is one of the newest and HOTTEST titles out now for the PC and console. And guess what, my platform only cost me $480 (XBox 360 Elite). And that is what I paid for it when it first came out. It's now down to $450, and there are even cheaper 360 models that can play it just as well.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: TheKub
To everyone that is throwing away their consoles every 3-5 years where do you live and can I go through your garbage? I still have my old 8 and 16 bit consoles that I hookup and play occasionally.
Thats cool but most of those 8 bit and 16 bit systems have emulators which run on your computer.

(Not condoning piracy or anything.)

Exactly. All my old consoles (older than the Dreamcast) have been put away, and the MUCH more practical emulation has taken their place.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: TheKub
To everyone that is throwing away their consoles every 3-5 years where do you live and can I go through your garbage? I still have my old 8 and 16 bit consoles that I hookup and play occasionally.
Palm Springs, California ... and No! :p
:cool:

Most people don't keep their ancient consoles ... in fact, it is a feature of some consoles to also play it's predecessor's games .. and i can certainly play all the older console games i own on PC emulators

... that's *why* it's only fit for the trash or recycler.
rose.gif
Oh really? How is that Dreamcast emulator working out for you? Or that PS1, PS2 and XBox? Oh, you mean those COOL Atari 2600 games? Yeah, those are REAL fun. :roll: The fact is, PC emulation will only go so far. The Dreamcast was released in 1998, and there are no good emulators for it, and most likely will never be any. Emulators are great, but like I said, they will only take you so far. Hell N64 emulation ain't that great. The best emulators will do is SNES/Genesis/NeoGeo and older. Newer console emulation is just spotty. SONY is basically doing that (software emulation) on their new PS3 80GB, and have only reached ~87% backwards compatibility on their own games. So no, it's not as easy as just, "um, I'll just use an emulator on my PC."