Why are only people 40 years old and older a protected classes?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

Age discrimination involves treating someone (an applicant or employee) less favorably because of his age.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) only forbids age discrimination against people who are age 40 or older. It does not protect workers under the age of 40, although some states do have laws that protect younger workers from age discrimination.

It is not illegal for an employer or other covered entity to favor an older worker over a younger one, even if both workers are age 40 or older.

Discrimination can occur when the victim and the person who inflicted the discrimination are both over 40.
Wow. Seriously?

Even "liberal" California doesn't protect its under 40 workers.

http://ag.ca.gov/publications/civilrights/01CRhandbook/chapter2.php

The FEHA prohibits employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including AIDS and HIV), mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), age (40 or older), or sexual orientation (21) (heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality). (22) The prohibition includes a perception that the person has any of those characteristics or that the person is associated with a person who has, or is perceived to have, any of those characteristics. Physical and mental impairment includes conditions that are disabling, potentially disabling, or perceived as disabling. (23)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
GNU/Linux is always discriminated against because it's only 20 years old. I agree it's an egregious oversight.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
It sounds like under-40s are not protected under age discrimination rules. You're not suggesting they are not protected by other rules regarding race, gender, etc are you?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
It sounds like under-40s are not protected under age discrimination rules. You're not suggesting they are not protected by other rules regarding race, gender, etc are you?
Why would other rules matter? Why carve out the under 40's?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I agree it's odd to define age discrimination as only applying to over-40 people (particularly since other categories protect ALL the options). But is this really an issue? My understanding of age discrimination is that it's largely about employers preferring younger workers, since you can generally pay them less and make them work more (among other reasons). Yes, under-40 workers do not appear to be protected from age discrimination...but do they really need to be?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
I agree it's odd to define age discrimination as only applying to over-40 people (particularly since other categories protect ALL the options). But is this really an issue? My understanding of age discrimination is that it's largely about employers preferring younger workers, since you can generally pay them less and make them work more (among other reasons). Yes, under-40 workers do not appear to be protected from age discrimination...but do they really need to be?

do whites really need protection? They aren't listed as a protected class sometimes.

do males really need protection? They aren't listed as a protected class sometimes.

not protecting them is discrimination

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So, uhh, we should make it illegal to discriminate against people who are the usual beneficiaries of discrimination...

What universe is this, anyway?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Employers tended to fire older (and therefor higher compensated) workers to hire younger (and therefor cheaper) workers. Protecting older people from such predations is a good thing.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Remember my mandatory classes. Cant mess with women, minorities, Gays, Muslims, or athiests, only people left are white men. It is all an evil joke.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
40 is not old. However, that is the age that your body starts hurting and falling apart. Your eyes quit working as good as they did. Your Hearing starts to go, you get fat and then you cant bend over cause your back hurts. You get problems like bad circulation, blood pressure, diabetes. I am reminded that there is a lady in the office that can qo twice as fast as me that is about 70.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Wait till you ger to 60 and they raise the retirement age to 75! That is what you have to look forward to. I am about 55 and I dont feel protected.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Why? Because they're hard to find out in the open anymore. The latest estimates hold that there may be less than 100 40+ year old men and women in the world today - and every day that passes we lose at least one of them... Time is running out.

\so give the human fund - today!