Why are Obama supporters ashamed of his middle name?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Yet people seem to be ashamed of Hussein
Great strawman argument :roll: What "people" are we talking about here? The only ones I see making a big deal out of Obama's middle name are right wing spinners who want to make people associate Obama with Islam in order to confuse voters.

You are a trolling scumbag, and everyone sees through your lies.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pandaren
Great strawman argument :roll: What "people" are we talking about here? The only ones I see making a big deal out of Obama's middle name are right wing spinners who want to make people associate Obama with Islam in order to confuse voters.

You are a trolling scumbag, and everyone sees through your lies.
Actually, racist Democrats (read: Hillary supporters) are quite keen to use it as well.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
One of my best friends is named Hussein (edit: well actually Hossein, which is the Iranian version of the name).

As already noted, the OP is using straw man. Obama supporters are not ashamed of Obama's middle name, we're ashamed of the ignorant Americans like the OP who think it is a pejorative, and pass around BHO as a kind of code-phrase for the like-minded.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
One of my best friends is named Hussein (edit: well actually Hossein, which is the Iranian version of the name).

As already noted, the OP is using straw man. Obama supporters are not ashamed of Obama's middle name, we're ashamed of the ignorant Americans like the OP who think it is a pejorative, and pass around BHO as a kind of code-phrase for the like-minded.
I could care less what Obamabots think of me. Y'all obviously don't care what his middle name is (and neither do I). You're afraid that by bringing up his middle name that he would lose votes. He would never have gotten the votes of the people who mind his middle name in the first place.

Funny how none of you responded to the link (article) I posted. I thought it was spot on.

The same Obamabots who thought that his association with Wright is no big deal and doesn't speak volume of his so called "judgment".

For the record, I never voted for Bush. I don't buy into the Obama hype that he is some sort of "leader" who rises above all politicians. We have all seen what harm can be done to a country when one party controls legislative + executive. If that makes me a scumbag or asshole for not agreeing with Obama then so be it. Obamabots are increasingly becoming like neocons, you're with us or against us. :roll:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: mshan

- Only way for McCain '08 and Hillary '12 to be competitive with Obama is to continually ding his potential pool of voters with stuff like Reverend Wright, cling to, Hussein, he's a muslim, a black man can't win...
he IS a muslim. ;)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: mshan

- Only way for McCain '08 and Hillary '12 to be competitive with Obama is to continually ding his potential pool of voters with stuff like Reverend Wright, cling to, Hussein, he's a muslim, a black man can't win...
he IS a muslim. ;)
thanks for the link.

it confirms to me that the very carefully worded speech that bush gave at the knesset was probably written by karl christian rove or one of his lackeys with just enough verbiage in it to point the finger at obama but with the same lame built-in plausible denaibility loophole that falls back on the "well, we didn't mention him by name, did we?" excuse.

i guess if you use a net that is big and "plausibly deniable" enough you're bound to catch the few fish that are stupid enough get caught.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the speech hit Obama on one point and Carter on a dozen... clearly it must have been directed towards Obama. lol.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
the speech hit Obama on one point and Carter on a dozen... clearly it must have been directed towards Obama. lol.
i absolutely agree with your "logic" simply for the fact that it doesn't hurt carter one bit but has the potential to hurt obama alot because it's obama that's running for president and not carter.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
People hated Hillary Clinton because originally she didn't take her husband's last name (I personally don't give a crap). The right started calling her Hillary Rodham Clinton. No one here thought it mattered.

Yet people seem to be ashamed of Hussein, Obama's middle name. If Obama is the messiah that Obamabots believe he is, shouldn't he be able to transcend such "distractions"?

Case in point, this guy at my old school's name was Hussein. No one thought anything of it. It's just a name.

So why are Obama supporters ashamed of his name, Hussein?

Click me!
When the blowhards on the right start calling Mitt Romney "Willard" then this thread will have some merit.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
What was Gore's middle name, or Kerry's? What about Dole's? Nobody knows or cares. W is only known as W since ~99 to not be labeled as "junior" or "Bush the 2nd."

Now those idiots who run around shouting barack HUSSIEN obama, or type "BHO" in every Obama reference are basically advertising:

1.) I am white
2.) I am a deliberate asshole, and prolly a bit racist
3.) I am a troll
4.) I need to reinforce the weakness of my argument/candidate with xenophobic fear mongering because I can't do it alone based on its merits or intellectual strength
5.) I am a DBag
6.) I can't eat spicy food because it gives me heartburn and burns my ass when I poo.

Say it if you want. We will just remind you in turn of points 1-5.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Hafen
What was Gore's middle name, or Kerry's? What about Dole's? Nobody knows or cares. W is only known as W since ~99 to not be labeled as "junior" or "Bush the 2nd."

Now those idiots who run around shouting barack HUSSIEN obama, or type "BHO" in every Obama reference are basically advertising:

1.) I am white
3.) I am a troll
4.) I need to reinforce the weakness of my argument/candidate with xenophobic fear mongering because I can't do it alone based on its merits or intellectual strength
5.) I am a DBag
6.) I can't eat spicy food because it gives me heartburn and burns my ass when I poo.

That sums it up nicely.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

1.) I am white
3.) I am a troll
5.) I am a DBag

I use BHO because referring to Obama as BO is just weird :(

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

1.) I am white
3.) I am a troll
5.) I am a DBag

I love my BO :heart: lol

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

1.) I am white
3.) I am a troll
5.) I am a DBag

Back when it mattered, for me, Hillary was HRC, John Edwards was JRE, Bill Richardson was BR, and Barack Obama was BO. Once in a blue moon, Ron Paul was RP.

I'm not sure why I'm ashamed of William Blaine Richardson's middle name...or his actual first name for that matter. I don't even know what Ron Paul's middle name is, but I bet I'd be ashamed of it :(

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by: cumhail
...But what you argue in support of is political expediency; and that is something I cannot accept.
It's ironic that you use the term "political expediency" here and harp on it, because this is precisely one of the terms and stratagems being used by the manipulators spreading this lie.

You call it "political expediency"; I call it realism and not falling for obvious baiting in an idiotic manner. Instead of looking at this and comparing it in a grandiose manner with 20/20 speculative hindsight to historical events, let's look at the details here.

Obama's accused of being a Muslim, by liars with a specific intent, and the ignorant, willfully or otherwise.

Your ideal intellectualized response would be something like "My religion does not matter here, it is perfectly fine to be a Muslim running for POTUS". This is an idiotic response IMO. It is besides the fact, and misses the most important fact that the accusation is a lie intended to deceive and manipulate, and that those sources should not be trusted instead.

This point is also one of emphasis. You might start with "No, I'm a Christian, but however, even if I was a Muslim, that'd be just fine", but here, for the intended audience, saying the second part is diminishing the first and getting into a specific debate for which the minds are deeply prejudiced and already entrenched, again missing the opportunity to hit back against the more important element of the manufactured lies, and simply adds greater confusion to the message and facts in an entirely unintended manner. An intellectual argument is not going to convert bigots on this point, especially when that argument comes from the perceived enemy. It is willfully ignorant to think so, and literally playing into the hands of the liars propagating this position.

This position also fantasizes that religion does not actually matter when that point can only be held by a fraction of intellectualized idealists or atheists who don't really understand religion as the vast majority of religious adherents do. It does not really answer the question intelligently to the less than brilliant who are falling for this lie in the first place -- it merely confuses and antagonizes them further. Moreover, who are you to say that Obama should say that his religious identity doesn't matter to him and it'd be just as well if he was in fact a Muslim?

Being intelligent calls for intelligent behavior considering the practical realities as well as the ideals, not ignorant disregard for practical realities and playing into the hands of the liars and ignorant.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
I don't have a problem with his middle name either. I have a problem with the fact that some seem to think it's off-limits to use it even in initial format. But whatever, it just shows the immaturity of his supporters IMO.
Yeah, it's the Obama supporters who are immature spamming P&N with BHO and Hussein references. :roll:

Originally posted by: Pandaren

You (and the rest of your ilk) are trolling scumbags, and everyone sees through your lies.
:thumbsup: Added a little to your statement. :)

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006

1.) I am white
3.) I am a troll
5.) I am a DBag

Excellently stated... this happened to me a few months ago while visiting a site in the South. Somehow the discussion came up, and some woman goes "yeah but look at his name - Barrack HUSSEIN Obama!", with a double emphasis on his middle name.

When she said that, I instantly thought "you're an idiot", because she was implying that because of his middle name he was somehow a terrorist.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Simple answer to the OP. Over 30% of our country still believes Saddam attacked us on 9/11. So Obama supporters would rather not advertise or continually repeat Obama's middle name because trying to explain to the third of our country that appears to be mentally retarded that Obama isn't the same person as Saddam would be a difficult and expensive endeavor.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Simple answer to the OP. Over 30% of our country still believes Saddam attacked us on 9/11. So Obama supporters would rather not advertise or continually repeat Obama's middle name because trying to explain to the third of our country that appears to be mentally retarded that Obama isn't the same person as Saddam would be a difficult and expensive endeavor.
In a way it makes me wish you had to take an IQ / reasoning test before voting. Anybody who believes the earth is 6,000 years old, that the sun revolves around the earth, or that the world is flat, shouldn't be allowed to vote.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
He should embrace his islamic heritage.

The earth is at least 6,000 years old. So if you believe it is 30 zillion years old it is still 6,000 years old.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Administrator
Oct 9, 1999

1.) I am white
3.) I am a troll
5.) I am a DBag

QFT with thanks! :thumbsup:

Those who match point #4 are automatically included under #2 and #3, as well.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

1.) I am white
3.) I am a troll
5.) I am a DBag

LMFAO :) Nice.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

1.) I am white
3.) I am a troll
5.) I am a DBag

Nicely put and agreed on all points :)

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: piasabird
He should embrace his islamic heritage.

The earth is at least 6,000 years old. So if you believe it is 30 zillion years old it is still 6,000 years old.
This is probably the most twisted logic I've ever encountered. I'm 24, that means I'm also 23, 22, 21, ..., 3, 2, 1? People who believe the earth to be 6,000 years old do not also believe it to be "30 zillion years old" and vice versa.

ASK THE COMMUNITY