why are motorcycles legal on public roads?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by brainhulk, Dec 11, 2012.

1. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Lifer

Oh, glad to see you've reconsidered your previous views on seatbelts then.

2. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

Man, them bacon bits for breakfast be bangin'!

3. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

The risk vs reward of riding a motorcycle is acceptable to me. Wearing a seatbelt is the law but I would do it anyway because the risk vs reward is so miniscule as to be imperceptible... pussy. :p

4. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Lifer

You used to insist on seatbelt laws being that you believed you had the right to not look at dead bodies on the road or some such thing. Who's afraid of death now bitch?

5. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

I still insist on seatbelt laws and I'm for helmet laws for motorcyclists. The numbers back me up too. The minor inconvenience is worth the infringement on your freedom. But don't try to sell me on making motorcycles illegal. I'm not for pussying up 'Merica to that extent.

This idea that anyone who is for any sort of mandatory safety law is for every safety law is utter nonsense.

Oh, and good luck persuading the AMA, BMW, Ducati, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Harley Davidson, Honda, and Yamaha that motorcycles should be illegal on public roads in their biggest market on the planet though.

Seriously... good luck with that.

6. WackyDan

WackyDan Diamond Member

I do all the time. I can buy a ton of groceries while riding...Lots of space in my side bags and top case.

7. Jeff7

Jeff7 Lifer

:p

Or else simply make the organ donor an opt-out program, rather than opt-in. (Credit to Freakonomics)

#57 Jeff7, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  8. Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon Lifer

yup i've grocery shopped with my bike as well. i love it :D

9. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

Yup. Jumped the shark faster than any other show I've seen.

10. CZroe

CZroe Lifer

No one thought it was weird when Peter Parker delivered pizza on his scooter. One of the first things I did on my Ninja 250 was shop at the grocery store AND pick up two $5 pizzas from Little Ceasar's. All I had was a tank bag and some bungee cords. I then proceeded to go without a car for three years doing all of my shopping with it and sometimes a backpack . It helps to remove useless packaging sometimes.

11. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

Mandatory SUVs?

12. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO Lifer

:D

13. applesj4924usa

because they're fun?

14. Ben90

Ben90 Platinum Member

Lol, I actually don't have to legally wear a seatbelt because I crashed my motorcycle and broke my collar bone in 4 places. The screws and plate stick out a bit.

15. Timorous

Timorous Senior member

Maybe instead of saying motorcyclists should grow a brain because other people are morons you should just say that the morons should not be allowed to drive. Besides, those morons are a danger to all other road users and not just motorcyclists so why not remove them from the road if they are not capable of driving in a safe manner.

16. JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda Lifer

I think we should ban having sex on a moving motorcycle.......

17. EMPshockwave82

EMPshockwave82 Diamond Member

The driving test is too easy. Driving laws too lenient. Penalties for not obeying driving laws too weak. It's socially acceptable to eat, drink soft drinks, talk on the phone, speed, refrain from using turn signals, among many other things that take your mind off of what you are doing.

Personally I think the person on the motorcycle (that isn't acting like an idiot) is safer than the average driver. Why would banning something be the choice instead of making it safer for other drivers?

18. CZroe

CZroe Lifer

More on motorcycle grocery shopping:
    I need to wear my Looxcie and take my tank bag in next time just to show how much a little bag can carry. I have a few tricks other motorcyclists might appreciate. Yes, there's wasted time trying to size things (employees get suspicious when they see you putting unpaid merch in the bag) and opening/disposing of packages after checking out is tedious, but it works out.

I remember going to Fry's Electronics and getting two 12-packs of Coke Zero ($2 each!) along with a The Dark Knight Collector's Edition, an Antec rolling base for a PC chassis, and other stuff. I actually ran out of space: Of course, I didn't want to open or crush the Collector's Edition BD box that was on clearance for less than the normal edition (specifically because it took up too much shelf space). After breaking the 12-packs down into three 6-packs and some loose cans, strapping the Antec caster-roller thingie on top, and stuffing my jacket pockets, I still had two cans of Coke Zero that I couldn't fit anywhere. I drank one and gave the other to an appreciative passer-by. The BatPod was unscathed and I didn't even have to break out my TimBuk2 Hidden Backpack (folds into wallet-size).

Did I mention that my Alienware M11x notebook was inside the tankbag at the time and that it all held on with nothing more than a few magnets?

I've also carried huge bags of dogfood and cat litter inside my over-sized jacket. ;)

#68 CZroe, Dec 13, 2012
  19. SViper

SViper Senior member

Have you been anywhere outside of the US? Try telling this to Europeans who are paying over $2.00 a LITER in gas.

It's about risk mitigation. Like someone else said, you *will* die. Happens to everyone. Will you live in fear for the rest of your life? I'm sure that you participate in activities (read: driving a car) where you have a moderate risk of injury or death.

Also according to the Hurt report:

I don't drink when I ride. I just tremendously reduced my risk of a fatal motorcycle accident.

I always have my helmet on when I get on the bike, even if it's a 1/2 mile drive down to the grocery store.

Is my risk of death higher because I ride a motorcycle? Of course. Am I willing to take that risk for doing something I love? Yes.

20. CZroe

CZroe Lifer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7IireBsC3Q

Dr. Pepper.

#70 CZroe, Dec 13, 2012