Why are lawns such a PITA?

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
I swear, I can never get my lawn to be green, I areate, I fertilize, I reduce water pressure for less evap, I increase time. I try every year and this is what happens

IMG_1385.JPGIMG_1784.JPGIMG_4184.JPG

Thoughts guys? Its only around mid 70s here in Utah

Nov 8, 2012
I remember reading up on the history of lawns and that it was something to the tune of a sign of wealth? I never understand the whole lawn shit either, and I can't keep up with my lawn either.

I hired out a service to handle that shit for me, because with my last lawn it just got to the point where weeds and other grasses were beating out the grass that the lawn was made of.

Salt in a spreader. That'll give it a uniform color, and make it *much* easier to maintain.

Heh, I figured it was a troll, just curious of what exactly it does.... I mean obviously salt consumes water, but I have no idea how it works as far as mixing with the soil...

Google didn't disappoint.

1589324477664.png

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Go artificial. Piss off people like you that will be jealous and piss off the environmental fundies cause it's fake.

Other than that, I feel your pain. I like running lawn equipment every weekend to piss off my neighbors.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The easiest is to not stress over it, don't live in a HOA and just let it do it's thing. :p

I'm summer I'll mow my lawn, and I might pull out some weeds if I'm bored, and I might spread seeds to overseed it, and that's about it. I don't spend too much time on it.

When the weather warms up I might actually rake it. I don't always get around to it and it just never gets done. But if I rake it early it will start to grow better.

Starting to wonder if summer just got cancelled this year though, there is no end in sight for winter. most of the snow is gone now but it's just so cold.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Dump it. The best maintenance decision you can make is shit canning your lawn. I did it a few years back and now spend two days a year on yard work.

Nov 8, 2012
Not true at all. Artificial lawns are much better for the environment than a natural lawns. Owners of artificial lawns don't use fertilizers and herbicides.
Or run gas/electric mowers/edgers/blowers weekly.

Or waste water with hoses/sprinklers.

I don't know how grass helps the environment though, so maybe there is something there.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
How much work do you guys really put into your lawns anyway? I barely do anything with mine. I mow it every week or so for about 2 months of the year, and that's about it. Sometimes pull weeds or water it if I feel it's dry. At the start of the summer I do like to rake and spread more seeds, but other than that I don't really obsess over it. I have quite a lot of dandelions in mine that sprout back up in summer so I sometimes pull those out if I feel inclined and it's just something to do to spend time outside.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Or run gas/electric mowers/edgers/blowers weekly.

Or waste water with hoses/sprinklers.

I don't know how grass helps the environment though, so maybe there is something there.

Could also just pave her right over!

Never do yard-work again. :cool:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I kinda want to upgrade to an electric mower, I like the idea that it's green and no need to mess with gas. I would charge it right in my shed off solar. Electric snowblower would be cool too, I think that will eventually come. They do make some but they aren't really meant to replace a gas one. I sometimes see people selling old snowblowers for super cheap, might try to EV convert one once I have my shop built. Would make a fun project.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Because you touch yourself at night on the lawn.

Just kidding.
Its because suburban life is too easy and you need something to irritate you.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
I kinda want to upgrade to an electric mower, I like the idea that it's green and no need to mess with gas. I would charge it right in my shed off solar. Electric snowblower would be cool too, I think that will eventually come. They do make some but they aren't really meant to replace a gas one. I sometimes see people selling old snowblowers for super cheap, might try to EV convert one once I have my shop built. Would make a fun project.
I got on for free this week, the lady said the charger was broke, but I had one that worked

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had to go pretty far into my pic archives but did find some green grass. :p

Backyard usually does not look as nice though. :p

2nd pic would have been earlier in the season though. Was testing out my new chainsaw. :p

Reactions: Captante

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Had to go pretty far into my pic archives but did find some green grass. :p

Backyard usually does not look as nice though. :p

2nd pic would have been earlier in the season though. Was testing out my new chainsaw. :p
Well done, my friend, well done.