Why are gas prices in Canada so high?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Firsttime
It's because we sell it all to you Americans :p, BTW gas is $1.19/L here so thats $3.96/G US so you guys should stop complaining about gas prices getting over $3/G because they have been over a $1/L here for almost a year.

Yeah but we're more important than Canadians, we deserve cheaper gas prices!

<-- From Alaska where we litteraly have a city with a refinery in it's back yard, yet it's gas is much higher than the national average.

zanieladie

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2003
I just wish that the prices here in the US would come down. Paid $3.94 here today (5 cents off Tuesdays) and that was a BARGAIN!

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Taxes would be the biggest reason its so high...

Starting conditions for a rig pig is:

Wage = 15-17$/hr plus overtime
You work 7 days straight, 12 hour days. The most common way I've heard is three weeks on, one week off. During the winter you'll spend hours cleaning the rig then breaking all of the ice off of it. In the summer you'll spend hours cleaning the rig.
Usually you live on a camp, or a hotel room. Paid for by the company, or they just give you something like $150/day and you find your own living arrangements (this can be very profitable)
Lots of really dirty blue collar boys doing crack before their shifts
Very dangerous if your a clutzy person, losing fingers and arms is very common

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet
Originally posted by: Firsttime
It's because we sell it all to you Americans :p, BTW gas is $1.19/L here so thats $3.96/G US so you guys should stop complaining about gas prices getting over $3/G because they have been over a $1/L here for almost a year.

Yeah but we're more important than Canadians, we deserve cheaper gas prices!

<-- From Alaska where we litteraly have a city with a refinery in it's back yard, yet it's gas is much higher than the national average.

You keep thinking that ;). It makes no sense to me I have lived within an hour of a refinery almost my whole life and it's done nothing for me, after college I am moving to Qatar :D.