Why are gas prices in Canada so high?

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
I've heard that Alberta has enough oil to supply the world for 50 years, yet Canadians still pay more for gas than Americans. Is there any reason for this?

If you look at any other place that has lots of oil such as venezuela, they pay sh!t for gas

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I dunno man but it's getting pretty bad right now.. right now where I am from it's been over $1.10/L (or close to it) for quite some time now. That is really NOT freaking cheap.....

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: CraigRT
I dunno man but it's getting pretty bad right now.. right now where I am from it's been over $1.10/L (or close to it) for quite some time now. That is really NOT freaking cheap.....

Ya, it's almost $4/gallon. Not a very good price considering how much oil we have.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How much is maple syrup in Canada ?

It's $25 a gallon here in Ohio for locally produced.

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Tom
How much is maple syrup in Canada ?

It's $25 a gallon here in Ohio for locally produced.

Lol, I don't think I ever bought a gallon of maple syrup before

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Yes, Canada does have the second largest oil reserve in the world. However, it is very costly to extract and refine the product.

Damn union labor:p

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: dartworth
Yes, Canada does have the second largest oil reserve in the world. However, it is very costly to extract and refine the product.

tell me about it, I have a few buddies out west making very good money working for oil companies

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: jfall

tell me about it, I have a few buddies out west making very good money working for oil companies

yes, much money is to be made...

I am looking into going up there this fall. I have been told it is a one year commitment. I still have to get all the details before I commit to it however...

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000

I am looking into going up there this fall. I have been told it is a one year commitment. I still have to get all the details before I commit to it however...

It's very hard work, especially if you are starting at the bottom of the chain like doing seismic. You pretty much have to live out of hotel rooms or camps and eat only foods you can buy at gas stations. You have to work 12-18 hour days, sometimes 15-20 days in a row. You make all your money from working over time. Two of my buddies went, they have been there for about 6 months and are actually coming home today. They made a lot of money and can also draw the maximum unemployment all summer if they want

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Part of free trade is we agreed to pay commodity prices and not keep the cost low IE Venezuala, the rest is tax which is a % so the higher the commidty the more tax we pay as well if gas was 50 cents a gallon we'd pay 7 cents in tax at a buck we pay 14 cents in tax.
So for the oil producing provinces we pay the same at the pump but because we do see the tax benefit of producing we get breaks on other taxes because our provincial budget is flush with cash.
We don't pay as much as Europe but more than the States part of all that tax is to pay for the infastructure of a huge country with a low population geographically dispersed.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

exactly what kind of work?

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

Oil companies here out west don't pay that high of a salary unless you are in a specialized field, with a degree. A lot of the staff is IT. Lots of engineers such as myself, but the biggest bonus is profit sharing bonuses. When my company does well, so do I in terms of bonus.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I am a union pipefitter. Our international has a open call for fitters starting this fall.

I have been told it will be a camp job which does cut down on expenses. I was also told you get one week off every six weeks.

I am waiting on my packet with all the info.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
You can make a llot of money if you are willing to be a GL and go remote read Fort MacMurray where the tar sands projects are welders, machinists, heavey equipment operators / mechanics do VERY well. General labour does pretty good too if you are a saver. A guy who lives here but commutes week in week out gets a 3500 liing allowance.
Thats on top of his wage but rent for a room in somebodies basement costs him 2000 a month.
200 billion $ to be invested there by 2010, just swimming in money
We also have lots of conventional oil and that is where most of it comes today Tar sands oil is vialbe at $30 a barreel providing NG doesn't go too high, regular oils stocks in Canada are viable from $15 to $20 a barrel

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: desy
You can make a llot of money if you are willing to be a GL and go remote read Fort MacMurray where the tar sands projects are welders, machinists, heavey equipment operators / mechanics do VERY well. General labour does pretty good too if you are a saver. A guy who lives here but commutes week in week out gets a 3500 liing allowance.
Thats on top of his wage but rent for a room in somebodies basement costs him 2000 a month.
200 billion $ to be invested there by 2010, just swimming in money
We also have lots of conventional oil and that is where most of it comes today Tar sands oil is vialbe at $30 a barreel providing NG doesn't go too high, regular oils stocks in Canada are viable from $15 to $20 a barrel

Fort McMurray is a bore. I've been there on a contract basis over a dozen times over the last year and a half. I had my accomodations paid for by my company, but I wouldn't like to live there on a permanant basis. I reside in Calgary where the economy is booming and the housing market is going higher and higher on a monthly basis. My 2000sq/ft home which I purchased 5 years ago for 200k is now worth nearly 400k. Houses here are getting ridiculously expensive.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I have a lot of friends in Calgary going there for a wedding this summer, wifes family.
House prices jumped 25% just last yr alone and my buddy says you can't even get a new built if you wanted to!
My counterpart in Calgary bought a Condo couple yrs back but they haven't gone up like single homes and he is interested now that he's married but worried that he is priced out of the market now.
I'd hate to have to move there now! It was such a nice place when it was about 600K

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
must be price gouging by the big canadian oil companies

you better get parlament (or whatever its called) to hold some hearing and investigate the price gouging by the big evil canadian oil companies

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
It's because we sell it all to you Americans :p, BTW gas is $1.19/L here so thats $3.96/G US so you guys should stop complaining about gas prices getting over $3/G because they have been over a $1/L here for almost a year.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I've noticed gas is a lot cheaper here in the US than it is in Europe or even China. we have it better than we think...