Why are Ford hybrid vehicles getting better (EPA) mileage than Toyota hybrids? UPDATE

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Fords engines are newer in general. Toyota doesn't even have direct injection in their normal non Lexus cars.

Could be one factor anyway. Ford probably games the epa milage better. Real world I know the last fusion doesn't get anywhere near its hybrid rating

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
because they are probably using the old 2 cycle epa testing, instead of the new 5 cycle testing rating.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
HybridSquirrel said:
because they are probably using the old 2 cycle epa testing, instead of the new 5 cycle testing rating.

wouldn't Toyota be doing the same thing?

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Smaller engine (2.0l vs 2.5l), better aerodynamics (but not by much), li-ion vs ni-mh battery.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
I love this place. Honest question about why one company is doing better than another results in the first two answers being "Ford's faking the results" and "Ford must be using a different test".

Christ guys, seriously? This is the garage, not off topic.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
What I am amused by is the purely biased assumption that something must be fishy if Ford's cars get better mileage. Do you think that one company's engineers are inherently better than the other company's?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Same tests. The C-Max competes against the Prius V and it's getting better mileage. No conspiracy, it's just better. However, in 1-2 years the next gen prius will be released (priuschat.com front page now I think has something on it). The standard hatchback is supposed to get 20% better mileage. I imagine that would also affect the V. 20% better on it would bring it basically where the C-max is.

I don't think lion makes any substantial difference in anything but capacity per weight at this point; I've not heard (not saying it's not the case) It's anymore actual efficient/less energy loss than nickel--I bet it's not. Toyota's engineer says they'll still use nickel based in some cars and it works great in hybrids.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
wouldn't Toyota be doing the same thing?

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

not necessarily, though I don't know. I just picked up an F-150 eco boost from a ford dealership, and the monroney tag says "EPA estimates based on 2 cycle testing"....

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
They were allowed for some models, until 2012, to do the 2 cycle test and then use a formula from the EPA to extrapolate what the 5 cycle test results would be. No one is faking anything. All mfgs did this with some models until the new testing regime was fully in force.

Dec 30, 2004
I love this place. Honest question about why one company is doing better than another results in the first two answers being "Ford's faking the results" and "Ford must be using a different test".

Christ guys, seriously? This is the garage, not off topic.
reputation is a bitch.
What I am amused by is the purely biased assumption that something must be fishy if Ford's cars get better mileage. *Do you think that one company's engineers are inherently better than the other company's?

Nobody has a problem trusting Toyota because Toyota is perceived as reliable. Ford has an uphill battle in this.

Last edited:

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
look on fuelly.com at the numbers the cmax is putting out. my estimate, based on the few they got in there, is that it's going to be getting in the range of 40-45, where the prius is getting 49. I'm averaging 46.5 so far in my prius, but I beat the thing.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Prius V with 193 people reporting is getting 42.4
C-Max with 10 people reporting is getting 39.9
Going by fuelly.com

Pretty much neck and neck given the limted amount of people reporting on the C-max so far. Not too bad since the Ford has 50 more HP than the toyota too.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
not necessarily, though I don't know. I just picked up an F-150 eco boost from a ford dealership, and the monroney tag says "EPA estimates based on 2 cycle testing"....
Damn, the new F-150 is getting close to the same gas mileage as my LS :eek:

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Going by fuelly.com

Pretty much neck and neck given the limted amount of people reporting on the C-max so far. Not too bad since the Ford has 50 more HP than the toyota too.

BOLDED for the important piece - Seriously folks - the C-MAX is more than a full second to 60mph and the 1/4 miles faster than the V. Its interior materials are far superior, it has a decent level of driving enjoyment unlike the appliance like V - and lets not forget how F'in ugly the V is.

Its like comparing a Focus against the Corolla. A lot of drivers will forego 2-4mpg for driving enjoyment. The C-Max fills that void like no other as does the Fusion.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Going by fuelly.com

Yeah, I guess the prius v is more comparable to the cmax. Be interesting once those cmax's are broken in how they will do. When I was shopping around I didn't feel the need to get the prius v as the gain in space didn't seem justifiable to the loss of MPG. It wasn't like I was getting it for anything more than getting from point A to B with the kids in the back.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
So what mileage are you getting out of it when you hand calculate?

the EPA estimate is 22mpg highway....I got 13mpg on my drive to SLC from Denver this weekend. No where near the estimate...

The old 2 cycle testing was simple highway/city so it made cars look like they got more gas mileage than they actually did. Another good example is the new Impreza...it gets no where near the rated MPG on the highway, because they advertise the old 2 cycle test rating.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
reputation is a bitch.

Nobody has a problem trusting Toyota because Toyota is perceived as reliable. Ford has an uphill battle in this.

I think the opposite. I am interested in the C-MAX. You couldn't pay me to drive a Toyota. They have a horrible reputation after the unintended acceleration fiasco.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I think the opposite. I am interested in the C-MAX. You couldn't pay me to drive a Toyota. They have a horrible reputation after the unintended acceleration fiasco.

...that wasn't their fault in the slightest.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Disclaimer: I'm a Ford shareholder and a Toyota owner.

Ford is currently making better hybrids. They've taken their sweet ass time to ramp up their product line. They spent a lot on R&D. They weren't the first mover, so they got to learn from the stumbles and successes of the others.

I own Ford stock because Mulally came in and made one common sense decision: You have to make cars that people actually want to drive. It's been a slow climb back, but Ford really is doing that. They've had fewer misses in the market over the past decade or so because they seem to be taking their time and making sure the product is a good one (segment, price, value) before releasing it.

That said, Ford just came to market with something they had a lot of time to design and build. Toyota's going to do the same exact thing and come out with even better hybrids/plug-ins the next round.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000

Didn't the escape just get recalled like 2-3 times at launch. I like ford and they are making some good cars lately but I don't think they have near the reputation Toyota does even after the bogus acceleration fiasco

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Fords engines are newer in general. Toyota doesn't even have direct injection in their normal non Lexus cars.

Could be one factor anyway. Ford probably games the epa milage better. Real world I know the last fusion doesn't get anywhere near its hybrid rating

I'd like to see data on that.