Why are DVD's always released on Tuesdays?

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Everything comes out on Tuesdays it seems. DVD's, CD's, movies in theatre, games, etc.. No fvcking clue why though.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
My theory would be so they can work out all the shipping and distributing stuff the week before and stock the shelves on Mon.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: kami333
My theory would be so they can work out all the shipping and distributing stuff the week before and stock the shelves on Mon.
Yup.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Everything comes out on Tuesdays it seems. DVD's, CD's, movies in theatre, games, etc.. No fvcking clue why though.

Movies usually come out on Friday but sometimes Wednesday. I've seen a lot of games come out on Mondays.

Also, not all DVDs come out on Tuesday, American Wedding came out on a Friday.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Best Buy and Wal*Mart.

Both utilize a warehouse of their own which distributes stock to stores. Because of the immense amount of merchandise they purchase from most DVD distributors, they have been able to in essence leverage their buying power to restrict other merchants from displaying DVDs when they are received, to allow them time to receive the shipment from the distributor at their warehouse and ship it out to the individual stores.

Most stores, especially smaller stores, have DVDs in before Tuesday but are restricted by contract from displaying them for sale before their specificed "street date". Where I work (EB), some very popular DVDs we started receiving over a week before we were allowed to sell them. LOTR TT standard comes to mind.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: TerryMathews
Best Buy and Wal*Mart.

Both utilize a warehouse of their own which distributes stock to stores. Because of the immense amount of merchandise they purchase from most DVD distributors, they have been able to in essence leverage their buying power to restrict other merchants from displaying DVDs when they are received, to allow them time to receive the shipment from the distributor at their warehouse and ship it out to the individual stores.

Most stores, especially smaller stores, have DVDs in before Tuesday but are restricted by contract from displaying them for sale before their specificed "street date". Where I work (EB), some very popular DVDs we started receiving over a week before we were allowed to sell them. LOTR TT standard comes to mind.

Wow, cool. Thanks for the info.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Best Buy and Wal*Mart.

Wow, cool. Thanks for the info.

Doesn't explain why its released Tuesday though....

I remember a guy telling me why, but i was not interested at the time.....

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Best Buy and Wal*Mart.

That has absolutely nothing to do with why DVD's and CD's are released on Tuesday.

"For years, the vast majority of albums, and then CDs, have been released on Tuesdays to put them on an equal footing with agencies that track sales and rentals, said News features editor Mike Pearson, who writes a syndicated video column. Those numbers are released Mondays. When prerecorded videos appeared, the industry decided to release most of them on Tuesdays, too - most, but not all. "

Dunno if thats true, but something off a website from an article. There could really not be a "Reason", that it just happen to become an industry standard back in the album days, and it stuck.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20040217.html

According to features editor Mike Pearson, albums are released on Tuesdays because sales figures for albums are released on Mondays. While films are ranked according to weekend sales figures, the billboard charts are determined according to weekly sales. Thus, in order to maximize their sales potential, albums have to be released immediately after the posting of the previous week's sales figures

The same applies for DVDs I'm sure.

GhettoFob

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2001
I always thought it was to attract people to go to the stores during the week who otherwise wouldn't go until the weekend. But what do I know. :eek:

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by: GhettoFob
I always thought it was to attract people to go to the stores during the week who otherwise wouldn't go until the weekend. But what do I know. :eek:

this question has been asked on ATOT before and I thought this was the answer. Something like Tuesday used to be the slowest day of sales, so they release them then to increase traffic.

Turkey22

Nov 28, 2001
Actually it wasnt that long ago when they were released on Thursdays. I used to work in a video store and we used to get them the week before. So as employees we got to take them home and preview them. One of my favorite things about that job, that and testing games people said were broken. I remember this one was a wwII fps for playstation, and the problem was once you got to level 8 or so the textures dissapeared and you couldnt get to the next level. Was a fun game til you got stuck.