Why are Canadians so patriotic and happy aboot (:P) promoting their country?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Someone mentioned Newfoundlanders still thinking their Irish above and I thought of this:

I think the "aboot" thing may be said by those Newfoundlanders still thinking their Irish because that's how Irish people speak (a little)...maybe....

Edit - It was Denilfloss who mentioned that...btw

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
But how do you all know you never say 'aboot' - have you ever notice how awful one sounds when one listens to a tape recording of oneself speaking, we all sound heaps different than what we think we do.

Its the same thing down under, where all us Aussies go on about New Zealanders saying 'Fash 'n chaps'instead of fish 'n chips. But they all deny it because to then 'fash 'n chaps' sounds like 'fish 'n chips'.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
"I never have said it "aboot", and have never ever heard any Canadian say that."

RSI,

Time for you to go live in St. John's for a while or listen a bit more closely to Gordon Pinsent the next time you see him on television. NOWHEREMOM was from Newfoundland and she did say aboot. It is more prominent in the small coastal villages that in the capital though, but very noticeable in Port-Aux-Basques and Stephensville.

Being from Quebec City, I can tell you that there's more to Canada than Montreal. ;)

Livin' La Vida Loca (Ricky Martin)

claiomh

May 31, 2000
yeah really americans and canucks are cool.

nice people in canada A

but after a lil incubation
speculation
and (anthony keidis voice) CAALIIIFFOOORRRNIIICCAATTIIOOONNNNNN

that the ole golddigger state should 49 itself away and leave canada + usA A it's own country.

crikey!