Why are Arab countries being so hypocritical?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Egypt, Jordan demand withdrawal of foreign forces from Iraq

"We want a government which will really represent the Iraqi people in all their components, and that will be the criteria by which we will judge any government which will be set up in Baghdad," he said.

vs.

Egypt and Jordan are both allies of the United States but strongly opposed the assault on Iraq, which aimed at overthrowing President Saddam Hussein and neutralising his alleged weapons of mass destruction.

They opposed getting rid of Saddam and his murderous regime and now they say they want a government that will represent the Iraqi people.

That is what the US has said it is going to do all along.

Now if the US pulled out of Iraq tomorrow, they would complain that we are leaving the Iraqi people to suffer. If the US stays to help set up the government and take care of the Iraqi people it will be accused of setting up a puppet state and raping the Iraqis.

I'm sick and tired of the hypocrites.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
They are hoping we will withdraw, leaving a vaccuum to be filled with a goverment of their choosing, not ours.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yeah, etech - I hear you, what a mess. It would almost have been better if perhaps the U.S. had not defied the U.N. and invaded Iraq because it defied the U.N....

N

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Napalm
Yeah, etech - I hear you, what a mess. It would almost have been better if perhaps the U.S. had not defied the U.N. and invaded Iraq because it defied the U.N....

N

Yes and perhaps it would have been better if your parents had not.......nevermind I don't want to go there and violate the rules of the forum. The countries there (like many people around the world and in the US) can't make up their mind. They just want to critisize the US no matter what. I'm with you etech, no matter what we do people will complain about the US b/c they are either jealous, confused, or just plain hate themselves, might as well get used to it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Well, I have come to the conclusion that ours was a kinder, gentler Pearl Harbor. Those countries know we arent going to leave. They didnt want war to begin with. Does it suprise you that they arent happy about us being there when they said they did not all along? Of course they want us our. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't, and I think we deserve it. Want to invade? Well, be ready for people to object. I would really say what I think of all this, but propriety forbids.

blackhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2000
Without a 'free press' and legalized dissent, information is tightly controlled and with the mixing of church and state, which the western style democracies separated hundreds of years ago, there is little information and its twisted to support political/religious ends.

Democracy and the free press, plus separation of church and state is what makes us so powerful and frightening to other countries who dont enjoy or understand these things. Its a threat to the security and control of the ruling elites.

Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
Well, I have come to the conclusion that ours was a kinder, gentler Pearl Harbor. Those countries know we arent going to leave. They didnt want war to begin with. Does it suprise you that they arent happy about us being there when they said they did not all along? Of course they want us our. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't, and I think we deserve it. Want to invade? Well, be ready for people to object. I would really say what I think of all this, but propriety forbids.

Ok.... all leftist crap aside...

The real reason that the Middle East hates what America is doing is because they do not not a democracy upsetting their social order, which is basically predicated on elitism and cruelty. The last thing that any of the brutal regimes want is the people getting a sniff of the candied air of liberty.

The domino theory applies here, too. Word will ultimately spread about how good it is to be free. First, it will spread to Iran, where a young population is a present threat to their totalitarian regime. One falls, then another.

The last thing that any ruler in the ME wants is progress. I find it ironic that those in this country who allegedly love their freedom so much would deny an Iraqi his.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: DevilsAdvocate
I find it ironic that those in this country who allegedly love their freedom so much would deny an Iraqi his.

I absolutely love that line. That should pretty much shut up any anti-war protestor unless he/she is a selfish bastard....oh, I've said too much and may have singled out some people, I apologize for offending you I didn't realize that your freedom is worth more than their's. Do you mind if I possibly use that in my sig for a while?

Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Staley8
Originally posted by: DevilsAdvocate I find it ironic that those in this country who allegedly love their freedom so much would deny an Iraqi his.
I absolutely love that line. That should pretty much shut up any anti-war protestor unless he/she is a selfish bastard....oh, I've said too much and may have singled out some people, I apologize for offending you I didn't realize that your freedom is worth more than their's. Do you mind if I possibly use that in my sig for a while?

Please do :)

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999

N

Our bigest mistake was going to the UN in the first place... No other country in the world besides the U.S. has ever gone to the UN before going to war.

Just thrice in the whole history of the organisation, has anyone bothered at all to ask for the UN Security Council's consent for military action. Each time, it was the US that asked for and was granted such consent. The UN was left out of whatever else happened. Generally speaking, the adherence of the world to International Law is a myth people remember about only when it is convenient. Strong nations have always made their decisions based on their interests or whatever they thought was in their interests. The Soviet Union never once brought its plans to the UN Security Council. Just remember Afghanistan.

found here.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Posted by DevilsAdvocate:

Excellent point, Chris.

Nice post, fan-boy. The teenage, brain-dead, right-wing-wanna-be, pansy-@ssed, never-been-in-a-war, rah-rah-rah contingent makes me laugh.

Of course, there is no mention of the fact that the U.S. invaded Iraq on the basis that their WMD posed a "direct and imminent threat" to the U.S. Where are those WMS???

N

Jul 1, 2000
Posted by DevilsAdvocate: Excellent point, Chris.
Nice post, fan-boy. The teenage, brain-dead, right-wing-wanna-be, pansy-@ssed, never-been-in-a-war, rah-rah-rah contingent makes me laugh. Of course, there is no mention of the fact that the U.S. invaded Iraq on the basis that their WMD posed a "direct and imminent threat" to the U.S. Where are those WMS??? N

I was just complimenting Chris on a well reasoned, thoughtful post.
rolleye.gif

Jul 1, 2000
Yeah, etech - I hear you, what a mess. It would almost have been better if perhaps the U.S. had not defied the U.N. and invaded Iraq because it defied the U.N.... N

What in the blue hell does that sentence mean? I have read it several times, and it makes no sense.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Chris A

N

Our bigest mistake was going to the UN in the first place... No other country in the world besides the U.S. has ever gone to the UN before going to war.

Follow the crowd...the UN brings legitimacy in the world's eyes. The US has a reputation of violent overthrow and ruthless forwarding of its own self interests above all others; we should want the approval of the international community regarding this war more than ANY OTHER COUNTRY ever has, for that reason.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
DevilsAdvocate:

Read the sentence and think sarcasm - this may help you figure it out...

N

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, etech - I hear you, what a mess. It would almost have been better if perhaps the U.S. had not defied the U.N. and invaded Iraq because it defied the U.N.... N

What in the blue hell does that sentence mean? I have read it several times, and it makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense. We defy the UN by invading Iraq, and our reasoning for invading Iraq was...defying the UN. As etech says, I'm sick and tired of the hypocrites.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Makes perfect sense. We defy the UN by invading Iraq, and our reasoning for invading Iraq was...defying the UN. As etech says, I'm sick and tired of the hypocrites.

Praise the Lord and pass the JDAMs.

Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by: konichiwa
Originally posted by: Napalm Yeah, etech - I hear you, what a mess. It would almost have been better if perhaps the U.S. had not defied the U.N. and invaded Iraq because it defied the U.N.... N

Actually - if our reason was to defy the UN for the sake of defiance, why did we spend months lobbying nations for support?

I did try to read it as though it were meant sarcastically. Had the sentence been better worded, I may have understood it better the first time. Thanks, Konichiwa for clarifying it for me.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Chris A

N

Follow the crowd...the UN brings legitimacy in the world's eyes. The US has a reputation of violent overthrow and ruthless forwarding of its own self interests above all others; we should want the approval of the international community regarding this war more than ANY OTHER COUNTRY ever has, for that reason.

Yes, the enemies of the US have done very well in spreading their lies about the USs intentions. The problem is that sort of misinformation is what will keep the hate and terror alive in the world.

Are you proud that you are doing your part to keep the hate alive?

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Napalm Yeah, etech - I hear you, what a mess. It would almost have been better if perhaps the U.S. had not defied the U.N. and invaded Iraq because it defied the U.N.... N

Actually - if our reason was to defy the UN for the sake of defiance, why did we spend months lobbying nations for support?

And you are still reading it wrong. He didn't suggest that we are defying the UN out of spite or bellicosity, but that our reason for attacking Iraq (and defying the UN by doing so) was that Iraq was defying the UN themselves.