Why America is in trouble.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: RichardE
Except this happens in every country, whether its an empire or not and has always happened since the time of the countries founding.

Sorry, but that's horse shit. It's an election year in my country and here the media covers policy, not the drivel that comes from American media.

American media is publishing what people want to buy.

What do you expect when US television is dominated by reality shows?

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
Originally posted by: techs
It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
Almost no one talks about the POLICIES of the presidential candidates.
Its all about Obama's pastor or McCains age, etc....
What about the war? the deficit? our jobs going to China and India? our environment? our energy policy? our educational system? etc, etc.

Oh wait, Hilary just got a new haircut!
And Obama is wearing an American flag pin!
And McCain, well, no ones really paying attention to him. What did his wife do today?

Well, there's no official candidate of either party, and the two contending Democrats have essentially the same platform. What policy differences are there to discuss?

CHANGE, we need CHANGE. We must have CHANGE in the white house. We must CHANGE the leadership in D.C.

That's great that you're for CHANGE, but tell us what you are going to CHANGE, and how you propose to do so and not break this country.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: RichardE
Except this happens in every country, whether its an empire or not and has always happened since the time of the countries founding.

Sorry, but that's horse shit. It's an election year in my country and here the media covers policy, not the drivel that comes from American media.

American media is publishing what people want to buy.

Maybe, maybe not.

Personally, I see the media covering a lot of policy. It often makes me cringe too. In short, it rarely seems that they know what the h3ll they are talking about. It's worthless. A little info in the hands of an untrained person is often a dangerous thing. IMO, most schooled in journalism are woefully unprepared to analyze complex legislation, whether the topic be taxation, health care or foreign policy. Whatever.

We end with people having nice writing skills, but not actually knowing what the heck they're writing about.

Things are very complex these day; really requires a team and a lot of time IMO. And if you're realy interested in the *full picture* just take the intiative to look for it. It exists; think tanks and policy centers exist for a reason.

Fern