why am I unable to read a textbook for more than 5mins

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
AP US History

I honestly can't read (and comprehend) the textbook for more than 5mins.
the reason most likely is that I have no interest in it, but don't tell me I shouldn't have signed up for AP. I suffered through an entire semester of torturous stupidity in regular US history - the kind of torture that makes you want to rip your eyeballs out and run jump out the window. the only way I could transfer to another class was to transfer to AP.

I'm committed to doing well in this class and showing myself that I can handle the challenge, but how? there is absolutely endless pointless facts to remember

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
is it time to up your dosage of ritalin? J/K. I bet alot of it has to do with your surroundings. Try and read in total quiet, or turn on some soothing music, like classical or soft pop or something. Maybe that will help you concentrate a little more.

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
try this little trick. use a notecard to "underline" the line that you are reading. I find tha ti concentrate better that way...especially when reading boring stuff;)

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Pennstate
try this little trick. use a notecard to "underline" the line that you are reading. I find tha ti concentrate better that way...especially when reading boring stuff;)
Maybe I'll try that when I'm reading my MS Press books... otherwise after about 5 minutes my eyes glaze over and Im just scanning the text, remembering none of it. ;)

MournSanity

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2002
You = Me

I can't read my AP US history book for more than 5 mins either. The only time when I actually sit down and read is when I have a test the next day. FEAR is the only thing that motivates me.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
AP US History was a fun class...I played gin rummy with a friend of mine every day for two months until we were caught shuffling the cards. Then I spent the rest of the class with my nose in a book, got constant dirty looks from everyone and STILL got a B in the class and a 4 on the AP test.

CoolTech

Platinum Member
Jul 10, 2000
Originally posted by: hypersonic5
You = Me

I can't read my AP US history book for more than 5 mins either. The only time when I actually sit down and read is when I have a test the next day. FEAR is the only thing that motivates me.

classic truth right there :)

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
alzheimer's pennstate?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Weird. I love all forms of modern history. Would it help if you thought of it less as facts to memorize than as a story to read?

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
Maybe I'll try that when I'm reading my MS Press books... otherwise after about 5 minutes my eyes glaze over and Im just scanning the text, remembering none of it. ;)
I know exactly what you mean. a lot of times when I'm reading, I'll suddenly stop and look over what I was just reading and realize that it sounds completely new. then I back up and realize I stopped paying attention a few pages ago.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well since your in High School look at the back of each chapter and read the summary and questions pertaining to that section first before reading the chapter. You don't have to enjoy it, but if you go into it with an idea of what to look for you'll get more out of it. Highlighters rock

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Mutilator

Yeah, I get that eye glazing when trying to read my managerial accounting text. :)

wkabel23

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2003
What's the name of the book?

My brother takes AP US Hist. and I've seen his book and It seemed pretty readable compared to some college text books and my bro's AP World History book.

His book is The American Pageant.

MournSanity

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: dpopiz
alzheimer's pennstate?

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA!

Sorry.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

I wonder if he'll say it again in 13 more minutes.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Don't take AP European History. 10 times more things to cover.

wkabel23

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052
Don't take AP European History. 10 times more things to cover.

AP Euro isn't that bad if you have a good teacher. I was fortunate enough to have one :)

falias

Golden Member
May 13, 2001
Originally posted by: wkabel23
What's the name of the book?

My brother takes AP US Hist. and I've seen his book and It seemed pretty readable compared to some college text books and my bro's AP World History book.

His book is The American Pageant.

That's what I have, boring content wise, but fairly easy to read and comprehend.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Yeah, if you can't comprehend it for more than 5 minutes it means any number of things:

1) the text is far too dense and thick for your brain to digest that quickly

2) you are reading in a non-study-condusive environment

3) you have severe ADD

Considering you haven't said you have this problem with every other textbook that pretty much rules out the third option. (I've met kids who couldn't read books they enjoyed, hell even comic books, for more than a minute without meds though) Just take it really slow. You'll get it.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Try going to a place with a lot of distractions. That way you'll try to concentrate on reading the book. If there are no distractions and everything is perfect for studying, you'll try to slack off. That's just how it is. Or maybe I just like doing things inspite of something more than I like doing them because of something.