Why am I getting better gas milage after moving to a new city?

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I used to live in Winnipeg, MB and I was getting 25MPG.

I now live in Kelowna, BC and I am getting 32MPG.

I was thinking it might be because Kelowna was at a lower elevation than Winnipeg, but I just checked and that's not the case.

Then I was thinking it could be because I'm in the mountains that I'm constantly going down hills, but thought that might be offset by needing to go back up those same hills.

Why would I be getting better milage?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Better roads/less friction? I have no idea. :p

Actually, you get better gas millage with higher friction (least amount of slippage).

Flat planes give best over all gas millage (since you always have to go back up the hill). If the area is less windy then the first that will also give you better millage. As others said, less stop and go traffic with longer distances will give you better millage. Lower average speeds will affect gas millage as well.

brownboi512

Feb 18, 2006
colder air maybe? the colder air allows for better compression in the pistons using the same amount of gas, so you get more bang for the buck. just a theory.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Not necessarily for better compression, but colder air is more oxygen-dense. Then again, to burn the extra oxygen you need extra fuel. :confused:

Mar 11, 2004
That's a pretty significant increase, over 25%, so there has to be something. When you moved did you maybe take a bunch of stuff out of the vehicle that you had been lugging around before? Maybe traffic flows significantly better and you have less stops? Is there any speed difference (an increase or decrease could be using different gearing of the transmission). Did you maybe get a tune-up recently, or even just check your tires air pressure?

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Driving style affects it significantly. During the summer in high school, when I didn't commute on the freeway, my average MPG was 75% of normal. Of course, I was still burning a lot less fuel overall, but still.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Now your engine is cold with solution.

Realistically though, it's probably the traffic patterns or your driving speed.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I think your vehicle was carboned up and during your long drive you probably burnt something off that was keeping your car from running efficiently.