Why 80s and 90s classic point-and-click adventures were not released for video game consoles?

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010
One thing that I cannot help noticing is that, with a few exceptions, the classic Lucas Arts and Sierra point-and-click adventures (of late 80s and early 90s) were never released for the main video game platforms. NES had two versions of Maniac Mansion (both released in 1988). The original King's Quest was released for the Sega Master System in 1989, and King's Quest V was released for the NES in 1990. And The Secret of Monkey Island had a port for the Sega CD in 1993 (and so did The Adventures of Willy Beamish). And Loom got a TurboGrafx-16 port in 1992. Apart from that, I do not see those classic adventure games being released for any main video game platform.

I wonder what would be the reasons for that. Those games had some good graphics, but the backgrounds were mostly static. Plus, most of them used 256 colors, which could be easily matched by the SNES and Genesis.

Censorship. Nintendo required Maniac Mansion and King's Quest V to be modified in order to comply with its internal policy. This may have discouraged other ports of adventure games to Nintendo video game platforms. However, it would not explain why Lucas Arts and Sierra would not port those games to Sega consoles (as Sega was more permissive in terms of content). Lucas Arts and Sierra were both U.S. based companies, and were not traditional third party Nintendo manufacturers (such as Capcom or Square), so this would not prevent them from porting their games to Sega consoles.

Size. Some of the classic adventure games had a large size which would be difficult to fit in a video game cartridge. I remember Monkey Island 2 and Indiana Jones being close to some 10 MB (Megabytes) when installed, and Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max would be more towards 15 MB. SNES and Genesis cartridges were, with a few exceptions, limited to 32 Megabits (which are 4 MB). But ROM was very expensive, and the first 32 Megabit cart came only in 1994; in 1992, they were limited to 16 Megabits, and in 1993, to 24 Megabits. That could explain why Sega CD and TurboGrafx-16, which supported CD-ROMs, got most of the adventure game ports. Said that, classic adventure games could perhaps be squeezed into ROM carts. I remember that games that had PC and console versions occupied far more space on the PC, so Monkey Island 2 and Indiana Jones would certainly take far less than 80 Megabits in a ROM cart. Maniac Mansion was a 2 Megabit cart for the NES; I wonder whether Monkey Island could have fit into an 8 Megabit cart.

Interface. Point-and-click adventure games are perfect for a mouse and keyboard combo, in front of a computer. The interface is not ideal for playing with a game controller in front of a TV. Still, it is perfectly possible to play. In addition to this, both Nintendo and Sega released mouse peripherals to their 16-bit consoles, so adventure games could have used those.

Sales. Early adventure games were not exactly a huge hit, I suppose. But Maniac Mansion for NES had some 250,000 carts manufactured, and apparently it was only the first batch. While it was not a million seller on the NES, it is not bad at all, and certainly justifies more ports. I may be wrong, but I think the first Lucas Arts adventure to sell a million copies was Full Throttle, in 1995; so console ports could have helped to beef up sales.

Lack of interest. It may also just be that Lucas Arts and Sierra were not really interested in exploring other markets apart from computers. That might justify why those companies were mainly confined to making computer games for the majority of their existence. Or perhaps there were not enough developers that could work on porting those games.

Anybody know the reason, or could at least guess?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
PERCEIVED lack of interest.
Japan thought American players would not like Super Mario Bros. 2 so they didnt give it to us, at first. Eventually we got it on the SNES Super Mario All Stars.
Ditto half the Final Fantasy games.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
There were some point-click adventures for NES but they didn't sell that well. I think the most popular one was Shadowgate, which was originally on Mac. It also had a port to the Atari ST.

The big issue with consoles is that there was no keyboard, so inputting text commands was not going to happen. Most of the early adventure games required text commands.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'd love to get the first Leisure Suit Larry on Switch, that would be a blast to play.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah probably not on second thought with the hookers and the racist jokes.

I remember hearing about one of the games from a kid in junior high. He was talking about how if you wear a condom for too long, some guy shows up and Lorena Bobbitts poor Larry. That probably wouldn't fly.

(if you don't wear it at the right time, you rot to death or something)

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I remember hearing about one of the games from a kid in junior high. He was talking about how if you wear a condom for too long, some guy shows up and Lorena Bobbitts poor Larry. That probably wouldn't fly.

(if you don't wear it at the right time, you rot to death or something)

If you bang the hooker without your lubber on your prick explodes.

Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If you bang the hooker without your lubber on your prick explodes.

yup. that game was hilarious. I loved all those Sierra games. The "Age checks" for games like Leisure Suit Larry were pretty dumb, but not completely ineffective in an era before functional internet.

Anyway, NES did have Manic Mansion, which was pretty much these games, and also awesome.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
They put Myst on practically every CD console. I have it for Saturn and 3DO. PlayStation also. Maybe even CD-I.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
There were some point-click adventures for NES but they didn't sell that well. I think the most popular one was Shadowgate, which was originally on Mac. It also had a port to the Atari ST.

Gamefaqs list has 7 point and click games on the NES, including Uninvited and Deja Vu which use the same engine as Shadowgate.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Gamefaqs list has 7 point and click games on the NES, including Uninvited and Deja Vu which use the same engine as Shadowgate.

Oh yeah, Deja Vu was really good. I actually finished that one. Uninvited was also kinda popular.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
PERCEIVED lack of interest.
Japan thought American players would not like Super Mario Bros. 2 so they didnt give it to us, at first. Eventually we got it on the SNES Super Mario All Stars.
Ditto half the Final Fantasy games.
Nintendo's "game master," Howard Phillips (an American), was almost singularly responsible for the decision not to bring Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) to NES. At least we got some other FDS games, such as Zelda and Metroid.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The NTSC NES Maniac Mansion did not receive two versions in North America. The rumor was started by people who wrongly assumed they were playing a censored version after finding that they couldn't put the hamster in the microwave. The real reason they can't nuke the hamster is because they were using the wrong character, not because it was a censored version. The game only lets certain characters behave that way. There are several other examples of the NES version being censored but the only NES version with less censorship than the version we all got is the pre-release beta version from a leaked prototype. Obviously, they submitted a less-censored version to Nintendo for review before Nintendo insisted on changes and it would've been on a prototype cartridge much like the one leaked.

Anyway, I think the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective series counts as a point and click adventure game ported to multiple consoles (I have it for TurboGrafx-CD and Sega CD). There are a lot of menu-based adventure games that were ported from PC, like Snatcher and J.B.Harold Murder Club. Don't forget the Dungeon Master series was on NEC, Nintendo, and Sega consoles.

This is a 2-way street anyway. There were an awful lot of console point and clicks back then that didn't get ported to PC, like Sega CD Jurassic Park.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
While not really point-and-click, there was that game, The Immortal? which was more of a puzzle/skill combine/dungeon crawler type game. I loved that game, probably because it looked amazing for what the NES could do at the time and the mechanics were different than typical console games of the time.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
While not really point-and-click, there was that game, The Immortal? which was more of a puzzle/skill combine/dungeon crawler type game. I loved that game, probably because it looked amazing for what the NES could do at the time and the mechanics were different than typical console games of the time.
Fun fact: That game doesn't work on modern TVs that still have analog inputs:

The game uses a value for black that is actually "blacker than black" in the resulting video signal which TVs see as a sync pulse. Some TVs are OK with the few games which do that but The Immortal also uses something called "emphasis bits" to darken the screen more. Using the wrong value for black AND using the emphasis bits end up causing the issue on otherwise-tolerant televisions.

I actually patched the ROM to fix this and may have the only working copy in existence. :)

Video was my early realization of the problem.

Last edited: