WHS system drive seems dead. What to do next?

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
My WHS system drive seems dead. Over the past few months, I've noticed that motherboard sometimes couldnt detect the drive on boot (it requires a reset or two before it can see it), but today the DATA partition of the drive is not accessible at all. I am able to boot, but the system is unstable and crashes every 5 mins. The system drive is a OCZ Vertex SSD that I picked up hoping it would be less prone to failures (mechanical).

Is there a quick fix that doesn't involve hooking up all my disks to another system to retrieve data? (something I really dont want to do with 20 TB of data sitting there).

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Hmm... 20TB data can not be on a SSD.

So try to explain better the Drive system of the server.

:cool:

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
Hmm... 20TB data can not be on a SSD.
So try to explain better the Drive system of the server.
:cool:

What do you mean explain the drive system of the server? WHS is installed on the SSD, but the data is on other drives pooled by the system. WHS installs itself on two partitions on the system drive: SYS partition and a DATA partition that contains the location of all the data.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
I have no idea how to fix this except to rebuild the array. I also thought it wasn't recommended to use SSDs as system drives in WHS as its constantly writing to it?

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
What do you mean explain the drive system of the server? WHS is installed on the SSD, but the data is on other drives pooled by the system. WHS installs itself on two partitions on the system drive: SYS partition and a DATA partition that contains the location of all the data.

If the SSD is dying/dead you're looking at reinstalling to a new system drive and getting it to recognize the existing data on your "pooled" drives.You might want to take a look at these posts to help you formulate a plan of attack:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2220987&highlight=

WHS 2011 Storage Architecture

Installing WHS 2011 on SSD or SATA Hard Drives smaller than 160GB