Whos Wifi am I picking up???

Kennyc

May 4, 2004
I just got a wireless card and I hooked it up and just for the hell of it I tried to see if I could get service without the router just straight from some one elses signal (heard to much that it was easy): )

I picked connect and I used default settings and picked use any available network in settings. this is what I get
ip address 192.168.0.104
subnetmask 255.255.255.0
other ip address is 192.168.0.1

I want to let the person know I am picking up his signal but I have no idea how to do it I think its my neighbor he owns a computer store and he is a good guy I really would like to let him know if it is
can signals go far like miles far?? I am new to this and just wondering too if I do my system will someone else pick up my signal??

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Good job shutting down the people that are trying to help you genius. I think what he means is: are you surrounded by other buildings that could potentially have wifi or are your house and this computer shop the only buildings for miles?

jcrapps

May 16, 2004
I get WIFI signals from my neighbors. Just use it! THat's what I do. If you're so worried about taking his signal, then knock on his door and let him know that his network is not secure. No, the conventional signal CANNOT go for miles. It can be measured in feet. Don't know for sure.

azkiwi

Oct 1, 2000
This is an increasingly common scenario - most likely it is your most immediate neighbor, just walls away.

The ip is a standard home network adress. Unless you are hacking his network and reading his files, be quiet and be happy. If you become overburdened with guilt, stop using it. Either way is unlikely to make much difference to him.

Kennyc

May 4, 2004
I am surrounded by homes probably about 100-150ft apart and there are about 6 of them
he could have just asked what kind of neighborhood I live in instead of where I live like he would know my area even if I did tell him devil side was talking Sorry the question made no sense to me

If I knew it was him I would tell him but the point of the thread is how to find out whos it is I have lots of neighbors he is the only one I could think of that it would possibly be of the top of my head.

I was thinking of just using it that saves me 35.00 a month
Can they see you on there and could they connect to your computer if they wanted to? I have remote assistance turned off?

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Are we not overlooking that this might be a security risk for the owner of the wifi signal? Especially if it is a business.
Being a b@stard and stealing the guy's bandwidth is one thing but not letting him know when more malicious people could do damage is another.
Or is it not too dangerous? I don't have any experience with wireless networks...

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
If he logged onto his router and looked at the DHCP list, he would see a computer there thats not his. Then using the IP he could look at your files, if you have any shared.

Kennyc

May 4, 2004
still no one has answered me how to find out whos it is
I am a cocky bastard too : ) not my fault they cant take a joke

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
walk around outside with your signal meter running. walk around until you start getting "warmer"

that's the only way to find out.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Start opening his files, see if there is a name there. Hopefully he works for the FBI or something. ;)

spidey07's answer is the best. ;)

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
I'd probably get something beside windows signal meter. Go get Netstumbler if your card is supported (most are these days). Tri-angulate and narrow it down. Should be pretty easy. Oh yeah, don't be a f'n degenerate like jcrapps. It's theft, regardless of the intelligence of the signal originator. Sounds like your trying to do the right thing. Stealing this guys internet connection would most certainly be the wrong thing for a myriad of reasons, not just ethics.

jbritt1234

Aug 20, 2002
You could try sending messages with net send.

First try pinging around and see if you can find active IP's. Probably the numbers directly under that one. If you don't get a reply on anything, try again later. The computer's probably off.

At the command prompt type "net send 192.168.0.101 Your network is not secure" (don't use the quotes)
Spam them a bit with some messages, they will figure it out hopefully.

Kennyc

May 4, 2004
I can ping the address but I dont really know what to do once I do it
I try to connect to the address through IE and it asks for a login oh well I guess Ill just leave it alone.
Just thought I would try to do something right for the first time : )

jbritt1234

Aug 20, 2002
Originally posted by: jbritt1234
At the command prompt type "net send 192.168.0.101 Your network is not secure" (don't use the quotes)
Spam them a bit with some messages, they will figure it out hopefully.

Did you try this?

Kennyc

May 4, 2004
I did try it it says the service name is invalid Its bugging me now I cant find out