Who's Top Dog in EQ 2 SLI?

runatyr

May 17, 2006
All:

I know opinions are like a certain part of the body...everyone has one.
But what I am looking for is rpetty specific.

Which SLI configuration better support everquest 2 and it's graphics?

2 ATI X1900 xtx's with Crossfireor

or

2 NVIDIA's 7900 gtx's in SLI

Again.....
It's EQ2's performance that is the most important consideration.

I have scoured as many places as i know on the net but not found anything compelling data wise to support one purchase over the other.

Help a fellow techie out and please suggest.

Thanks,

-Runatyr

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Yeah, I don't know of any site that has reviewed CF vs. SLI for EQ2 either. However, there is a lot more to consider than just the cards. In case you weren't aware, you can't run Crossfire in just any motherboard, and certainly not in any SLI motherboard. So is this a completely new build from the ground-up (new CPU, PSU, monitor, etc)?

runatyr

May 17, 2006
Fortunately.. i am building from the ground up... so motherboard... cpu ....etc.. are all new....

-Runatyr

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Here is one from last gen ( 1800XT, 7800GTX ). Don't think I have seen one on the current gen yet.

My personal experiance with resepct to EQ2:

I went from a 7800GT, to 7800GT SLI, to X1900XT.

SLI didn't make a very big impact over the single 7800GT. It dosn't seem like EQ2 benefits from dual cards as much as other games. I cant recall it enhancing my play experience at all * didnt allow me any extra eyecandy*.

The X1900XT however has been great. Performance still is about equal, however I am able to run my texture quality at maximum. I wasnt able to do this on the Gts most likely due to the 256mb frame buffer. I am also able to run 16X HQAF which the nvidia card(s) couldnt * and still can't* do. Honestly, I can't notice this feature most of the time in fast paced games, however it does make the textures look noticeably better in EQ2.

What I dont like about the ATI specific to EQ2 is mostly software/driver related. For instance, I like to switch between windowed and fullscreen alot, to change what I am listening to, check ogaming etc. On the ATI, this always seems to screw the gamma up. Switching between modes will make turn one mode dark. When this happens you have to open up the in game options and reset the gamma slider a bit to return to normal. The game also "slideshows" when you first mouse out of the screen to the taskbar or another open window. Minor bitches, but it isn't perfect.

Honestly, I would look at other games you play to help make the decision. EQ2 played about equally as good * or as bad depending on how you look at it* on both cards.

**- Edit CPU and RAM are also very important in this game. Don't skimp there if EQ2 is a priority.