Who's the best now ATI!!!!!!

Visa2

Jun 22, 2002
The ati got us the best card in the market again ,this is a very big blow for Nvidia again and for all
this nvidia harcorefans I like that.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
For all consumers it is good news, well apart from anybody who paid for a 4600 in the last month or so.

Packy

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
*sigh* someone is always going to edge out someone else... that's the basis of healthy growth in the video card (or ANY) market. I'm not a fanboy of either card maker, I just get what suits me at the time. Originally I had a Matrox Millennium II, then a TNT, then a GF2, then a Radeon 7500 and now a GF4 ti. It just depends what has the best price/performance ratio for me at the time.

I honestly don't care who is the best :) I agree with AnAndAustin, it's a win-win situation for consumers... okay, and it's fun to see benchmarking records broken ;)

kpb

Oct 18, 2001
I think that is going to be ATI's biggest weakness. The 9700 is just to frigging expensive even if it is the fastest and best card arounds. Look at the volume of the 4200 or 4400 compaired to the 4600 for the geforce 4's. Most people just will not spend 400 dollars or even 300 dollars on a video card. With the release date of the mid end 9500 card rumored to be around the release of the nv30 it should be just in time compeate or judging from previous track records get beat by nvidia. Sure ati will have the fastest card around till then but I still expect more geforce 4 4200 and 4400's to be sold especially with no competition for them from ati.

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
It's definitly a win win situation, in more ways then you can imagine...

I started building PCs when the Radeon 64ddr VIVO first came out (I'm a young pup, just turned 19).

I'm currently running a GF3 vannilla in my system.

I'm certainly not brand partial, I use the fastest card I can afford at any given time. The best part of the new card ATI put out is that it completely spanks the GF4 4600 by as much as 250% in some benchmarks.

The reason that is great is in response to try and gain back the hardcore gaming community Nvidia will have to release something that can spank the 9700 in a similar fashion. The result? A fast moving progression in video technology, meaning lower prices, more selection, and more and more speed.

It's a good time to be a gamer:)

lifeguard1999

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2000
Nope. The 4600 is still the fastest card for the next ~30 days. ATI is still in 2nd place ... until the 9700 ships.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Nope. The 4600 is still the fastest card for the next ~30 days. ATI is still in 2nd place ... until the 9700 ships

Or until the NV30 ships ;).The ATi 9700 is an awesome card and I really hope they get the drivers sorted,one thing for sure is both Nvidia & ATI will be in the top dog position,ATi brings out a faster card then Nvidia then it all starts over again,this is progress so the term "best" is short lived nowadays.

:)

Xtasy

Banned
Nov 23, 2001
Nice job ATI, all they need to do is to ship it out soon and give it plenty of life as the best b4 it needs to justify itself against nv30. From what i remember, i heard that nv30 has no performance reduction from aa ne more.

OatMan

Aug 2, 2001
wow this is fun:)

kbp said

I think that is going to be ATI's biggest weakness. The 9700 is just to frigging expensive even if it is the fastest and best card arounds. Look at the volume of the 4200 or 4400 compaired to the 4600 for the geforce 4's. Most people just will not spend 400 dollars or even 300 dollars on a video card. With the release date of the mid end 9500 card rumored to be around the release of the nv30 it should be just in time compeate or judging from previous track records get beat by nvidia. Sure ati will have the fastest card around till then but I still expect more geforce 4 4200 and 4400's to be sold especially with no competition for them from ati.

Step back and look at the big picture.

The R8500 forced nVidia to release GF3TI 200 and 500

R8500LE forced nVidia to release GF4TI4200 and 4400 (Decent 4200 overclock = 4600 at half the price;)

Now the R9000 and R9000pro means that nVidia has to do better than a glorified gf2 (aka GF4MX)

This is why competent competition is good. Whether the 9700 is better than the GF4 or NV30 is beside the point. W/o ATI we would be stuck with a $500 GF3 right now and not a sub $200 GF4TI4200 that can overclock reliably to 4600 levels. And I doubt games would be looking at 128bit color and lighting effects to implement sooner rather than later.

So yes NV30 will beat ATI9700. ATI will counter with R10000 on the .13 process. NV will make a better MX. ATI will bring out R400 and R300 will be new bargain card. And all of this will probably happen before there are more than a small number of DX9 games!

This is I think the "good news" anandaustin and others are referring to. If nothing else I can get a GF4 TI cheaper sooner now:) or wait for whatever - but I got a choice. Thanks to both nVidia and ATI - keep pushing!

-BTW the credit for this idea goes to someone from another thread I think at rage3d, but I couldn't find it to give propper credit where its due... but i digest.

Akebona

Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: OatMan

kbp said

R8500LE forced nVidia to release GF4TI4200 and 4400 (Decent 4200 overclock = 4600 at half the price;)

Now the R9000 and R9000pro means that nVidia has to do better than a glorified gf2 (aka GF4MX)

This is why competent competition is good. Whether the 9700 is better than the GF4 or NV30 is beside the point. W/o ATI we would be stuck with a $500 GF3 right now and not a sub $200 GF4TI4200 that can overclock reliably to 4600 levels. And I doubt games would be looking at 128bit color and lighting effects to implement sooner rather than later.

So yes NV30 will beat ATI9700. ATI will counter with R10000 on the .13 process. NV will make a better MX. ATI will bring out R400 and R300 will be new bargain card. And all of this will probably happen before there are more than a small number of DX9 games!

This is I think the "good news" anandaustin and others are referring to. If nothing else I can get a GF4 TI cheaper sooner now:) or wait for whatever - but I got a choice. Thanks to both nVidia and ATI - keep pushing!

Great Post, I agree. One thing I'm waiting for is the new Detonator drivers. They've done it every single time ATI has done a major release, granted it might not be as good compared to the other releases as Anandtech has said. (referring to the new drivers out performing the the R300) I'm an avid Nvidia fan, but I'm glad to see them have some competition, its just awesome for the consumers b/c we're looking at great performance at a cheaper price. I hope this turns out to be like the Intel/AMD war which drove down CPU prices dramatically. Remember the days where a new CPU would cost you about 1200 bux?? Now they debut at around 700, and give it a few weeks and it drops. And thats just the high end ones, the rest are around the 200-300 range.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
this is a very big blow for Nvidia again and for all
this nvidia harcorefans I like that.
Hahah...poor little boy.

Maybe you didn't read til the end of anand's article where he mentions (hell he even bolds it for you) that nVidia's next part should be faster than this anyway.

Bottom line: if you're lookin for a new card cause you have something crappy now, get a new ATI. If you already have a Geforce4 Ti (hell or even a Geforce3), wait for nVidia's next part since your current card is plenty fast for games in the next 6 months or more.

ceZium

Jun 29, 2002
There will always be companies one upping eachother, no big deal. Just buy which brand you like best, that's what matters.

Gog

Feb 1, 2002
Today my stool is green, tomorrow brown... the same with Videocards. Although I do think that ATi will be on the upswing this year because of them being the first ones out the door with such an impressive directx9 card. True the NV30 will be a .13 directx9 card, but Ati is planning to respond with a .13 varient of the 9700 by then. I truely think that the ball is in ATi's court this year when it comes to the high end... it may be a different story thou when it comes to the mid end.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ceZium
There will always be companies one upping eachother, no big deal. Just buy which brand you like best, that's what matters.

thats right, companies' products will always edge out one another, but thats what makes the consumer market so interesting :p

nardvark

Jul 3, 2002
it's not really an issue of holding the fastest graphics card forever, ATI knows that isn't possible. I'm sure they're quite aware of the length of time they'll have before the NV30 blows the 9700 away. I doubt they're expecting to make a large chunk of cash off this right away either. What ATI has earned themselves with the 9700 isn't a large volume of high-end sales, it's a healthy dose of respect.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a large hole in their marketing plan where they could capitalize on the new recognition and sell crates and crates of $150-$200 cards.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
does this mean ill be able to afford a GF4 sometime in the near future with price cuts to compete with the ATI's new card? :)

PING

Oct 9, 1999
dakata24, that's affirmative. I, for one, is waiting for the $100 geforce 4 ti 4200 this Thanksgiving. I just have to outsmart the other anandtech shopper.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
The 9700 is just to frigging expensive even if it is the fastest and best card arounds

i think u can say the same about all video cards when they r first released. even cpu's r like that. u pay if u want to be the first with the technology.

Jayczar

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2001
well I sincerely hope that juat because ATI has a faster card
around the corner that nobody is stupid enough to yank out
their GF4 ti and go plunk down $400. The Nvidia cards are
still crazy fast, hell the 8500 is still a great card.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: OatMan

kbp said

-BTW the credit for this idea goes to someone from another thread I think at rage3d, but I couldn't find it to give propper credit where its due... but i digest.

uh...Nvidia was planning to release a speed bump of the Gf3 anyway. This was because they use 6 month cycles for their cards. 6 months between a new revision or card. have been for years. nvidia could never have pulled the Ti500 out of their ass in 3 months...going from just specs to actual store product. It doesn't happen like that. Also Nvidia had announced the Ti4400/4200 before the 8500LE even shipped. Basically the idea was to get a midrange card to replace the Gf3 Ti cards. Ths was the 4200/4400. Plus...if nvidia hadn't released the Ti4200/4400 the GF3 Ti cards would be the mid/low end and still beat the 8500. the reason nvidia released the Gf4 Ti 4400/4200 is because of the Gf4MX. The GF4MX would underperform compared to the Gf3 when the GF4 is supposed to be newer than the Gf3 and the average consumer knows numbers and 4 is greater than 3! So the consumer sould say "that new GF4 is slower than the slow version of ATI's Card and slower then the older card from nvidia too!" Even when we who keep up with changing technology would laugh at such a statement knowing the specs on each one.

Tung

Platinum Member
Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Packy
*sigh* someone is always going to edge out someone else... that's the basis of healthy growth in the video card (or ANY) market. I'm not a fanboy of either card maker, I just get what suits me at the time. Originally I had a Matrox Millennium II, then a TNT, then a GF2, then a Radeon 7500 and now a GF4 ti. It just depends what has the best price/performance ratio for me at the time.

I honestly don't care who is the best :) I agree with AnAndAustin, it's a win-win situation for consumers... okay, and it's fun to see benchmarking records broken ;)

agrees :)

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
The most important thing is that ATI has shown that it can hold it's own. Nvidia really kicked the 3d graphics market's ass when it came into being, and we're lucky that ATI didn't go the way of 3DFX, because that very well could have happened. We could have had a market situation where Nvidia comes out with the fastest cards and ATI never being able to come up with anything comparable - and that would have been bad for all of us. I really don't care who's on top right now as long as there are at least 2 companies out there that can make the fastest card at any given time. It would be better to have 3 companies, but Matrox hasn't shown that it can compete with ATI or Nvidia, may next time for Matrox.

daywalker

Feb 1, 2002
With all do respect people, we covered all this in a previous thread with more than 120 posts... enough is enough dont you think?

Besides all we have to do now, is wait until the card is out in the stores.... THEN we can again debate our hearts out...

Goodniight

m1ke101

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
I really don't understand why some of you ppl are so attached to your cards. i'll buy whatevers the fastest/gives me the best performance, i don't care if its ati or nvidia. it shouldn't even matter, and you fanboys are just sad, seriously, go get a life instead of claiming one card is superior to the other.

had to get that out, its just sad watching people argue and say stuff like

Who's the best now ATI!!!!!!

MANKOU

Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: PING
dakata24, that's affirmative. I, for one, is waiting for the $100 geforce 4 ti 4200 this Thanksgiving. I just have to outsmart the other anandtech shopper.

I don't think so. You see, nVidia would have nothing to gain from something like that.
The most possible scenario is to release the next generation of video cards (expensive and budget) and make the older models obsolete (you could find some cards around at good prices, but this would be just an effort to give away what's left in the warehouses.
Remember what happened with those GF3s (not "Ti"): nobody buys them, but they still cost too much.