Whos seen patriot so far?

blade

1957 - 2008<br>Elite Moderator Emeritus<br>Troll H
Oct 9, 1999
It isn't Braveheart but many seem to try and compare it with that flim, for obvious reasons. While it isn't near as good and moving as Braveheart(what flims are) it still is good. But including comedy was a poor idea as it made the flim inconsistant and took away from the tone.

We were in the theatre almost 3 hours and it didn't seem that long. Still though if they had cut about 15-20 minutes of the boring rubbish out and the comedy it would have made a more exciting and even flim. Gladiator is still the best this year to me along with On Any Given Sunday.

But Friday we have what may be the best yet, &quot;The Perfect Storm&quot;. ;)

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
there were three:

Mad Max, Road Warrior, and Beyond Thunderdome

Road Warrior is far and away the best. Is it out in DVD?

My Review of &quot;The Patriot&quot;
I saw Patriot a few nights ago. Gibson plays a widower w/large family who has retired from fighting although he fought in French and Indian War. The Revolution breaks out and Gibson finds that it is impossible to stand by and let his family get killed. He breaks out his hatchet and gun(s) and becomes Rambo.

One thing I can say is that a lot of the movie felt like it was taken from other movies. If you have seen &quot;Last of the Mohecians&quot;, &quot;Dances With Wolves&quot;, &quot;BraveHeart&quot;, or &quot;Lethal Weapon X&quot; you might find that &quot;Patriot&quot; is very little but a rip off of these movies. The story was fairly lame throughout. If anything went right, the acting was good. The staging of &quot;Patriot&quot; is sluggish which appears to be the creators attempt to make the story more powerful. They seem not to realize that 0 times anything is still 0.

A better title for &quot;Patriot&quot; might have been &quot;Lethal Hatchet&quot; or &quot;Still Have A BraveHeart&quot;. All things considered this film made me realize how much they could have blotched &quot;BraveHeart&quot; if they had worked at it. Sadly &quot;Patriot&quot; only deliviers a action-packed quasi-quality film.

If I was going to pick a best film of this year it would be...

CHICKEN RUN!

that film, although perhaps not the most &quot;mature&quot; film was a better watch than &quot;Patriot&quot; or even &quot;Gladiator&quot;. Sure both of these films are violent but they lack in ORIGINALITY. &quot;Chicken Run&quot; was hilarious and fresh, something we don't see in &quot;Lethal Hatchet&quot;. I have already hit on &quot;Patriot&quot;s lack of originality. Has anyone seen Spartacus? Hello, &quot;Gladiator&quot;'s key difference is only more blood! Acting sucked as well. I did keep my attention I must admit.

Chicken Run is a comedy based around the theme of &quot;The Great Escape&quot;. Witty, well made, and well scripted &quot;Chicken Run&quot; delivers a movie that makes me want to return to the theater. Sure you might say, &quot;o Chicken Run, thats a kids film!&quot; and perhaps it is, but kids films are good, too. &quot;Toy Story&quot; 1 and 2 I feel were better movies than both &quot;Gladiator&quot; and &quot;Patriot&quot;. Both of these Blood-Bath dramas are boring for one because the fighting that they are doing is old. Sword duels, shown again and again, no matter how many different people are fighting, get old. If violence is going to keep above water it is going to need a new face, such as the one provided by &quot;The Matrix&quot;. &quot;SW: E1&quot; lacked because we had already seen people fight with lightsabers and one more battle was only fleetingly entertaining.

If you are going to see a movie that is really good see &quot;Road Warrior&quot;. This film provides excellent action. Worth the fee of rental.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
This is how i described THE PATRIOT to my friend...when you get to about 3/4 into the movie you start noticing the never ending and quite predictable cycle of....

The British do something horrible, mel gibson fights back, the British to do something horrible, mel gibson fights back, the British do something horrible, the British again do something EVEN MORE HORRIBLE....and yep you guessed it...mel gibson fights back.

So the cycle is predictable, however, it's what the British do that so horrible each time that is the suspense of the movie. They kill somebody each time and you dunno who it is.