Whos played might and magic 1 lately?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe im retarded but i just picked up the M&M pack(1-6) from GOG and started into M&M 1 last week, about half way through now.

Reminds me alot of some of the commodore 64 games i played when i was young, like Phantasie 1, 2 and 3.

Looking forward to working my way through the series and watching the graphics advance.

I've played alot of them before but not all the way through and it was so long ago i dont remember anything.

i kinda LOL everytime i fire up M&M 1 on a i7 SLI 460 system.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
skip 'em all go straight to 6. 6 was TEH AOWSUUUMMMM! someone should remake it in real 3D.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
skip 'em all go straight to 6. 6 was TEH AOWSUUUMMMM! someone should remake it in real 3D.

oh i will get there, going to play them in order though and then buy 7 and 8 that didnt come in the pack. I've only ever played bits and pieces in the past.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah I think 6, 7 and 8 are the best. The early ones were fine but not so special. We were easier to please back then.

Also, 9 was garbage.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I personally liked 3 the best. The graphics are too dated on 1 and 2 for me to get into them though.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I played Might and Magic 2 on my Sega Genesis, it was pretty fun. I liked how big the world felt. It was pretty fun always wondering what kind of chest was going to show up after winning a battle, finding the hidden pass-through walls, finding the areas of the map where Cuisenarts (sp?) battled you (huge experience!). That game had pretty good atmosphere considering the simple graphics and zero character developement.

I really, really liked Might and Magic 6 up until it went sci fi out of the blue. I wasted countless hours on that game. I never finished it but I got pretty well to the very end.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Reminds me a lot of one particular Commodore 64 game I played when I was young: Might and Magic I.

i never played M&M on the commodore, actually i never knew it existed on commodore till you mentioned it, always played on PC.

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
i never played M&M on the commodore, actually i never knew it existed on commodore till you mentioned it, always played on PC.

It was originally an Apple II game. The PC version actually has what looks to be machine translated 6502 code as part of its logic.

ikachu

Jan 19, 2011
M&M3 was pretty revolutionary when it came out; I think I spent the most time playing IV and V though.

Hmm one random thing I remember not liking about IV and V is that I pretty much spent all my money training levels for my characters and still could never afford to max them out.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
M&M3 was pretty revolutionary when it came out; I think I spent the most time playing IV and V though.

Hmm one random thing I remember not liking about IV and V is that I pretty much spent all my money training levels for my characters and still could never afford to max them out.

Might and Magics 3-5 were like that. You had to take advantage of the banks and interest to make enough money to keep training as the costs rose tremendously and there is a finite amount of monsters and loot if you destroy all of the creature spawners.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
In MM3, one of the better ways around this was to start buying cheap basic items in Fountain Head and enchanting them to sell back for profit. This eats up gems, though, so worked best if you stockpile them in the bank and siphon off the interest for this technique.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
Might and Magic 3 was really hard for me to get into. I put a week or two of serious effort a few years back into it, but after the numerous puzzles I found and couldn't solve, I moved on pretty quickly.

I have a LOT of love for MM6 though. I think I will buy MM7 from GOG soon and play it again.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Three was pretty awesome back in the day. I started playing 6 but that game took freaking forever to finish.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006

I was all about WoX as well. IV never had issues with training, it just got exponentially bigger in later levels of V. Not to the point where you couldn't clear all the content or anything, but still a bit annoying. Still prefer them to any of them.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
3 was the first one I played and loved it. Never did finish it though. Those damn crystal things...