Discussion Who's looking forward to Sekiro? And the lore aspect of Soulsborne.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I really admire FROM software and their ability to hide so many amazing stories in their games. I understand that is the main point of a single player game, but they don't really care if we find about the side characters or not.
I went through my first playthrough of Bloodborne without ever talking to the little girl in the window before the Father Gascoigne fight. I figured them all for useless time wasters but I'm amazed at how the story elements to these side characters have so much more depth to them.
Solaire in DS1, whom I had no idea was such a crowd favorite. (I only started my first playthrough of DS1 this year after my amazement at Bloodborne.) But he has such a beautiful story to him.
Anri in DS3, Gehrman in Bloodborne, heck, even The Nameless King has so much lore to him.

And I love how FROM never throws this stuff in your face and does absolutely no hand holding. I think they are easily one of the best developers around, alongwith CDProjekt of course.

So how many of you are looking forward to Sekiro?
There seems to be a lot of parrying/riposte which made my life hell is DS3 but made it easier in BB. Looks like there's gonna be a lot of "git gud" in the future for all of us.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
When I first saw the trailer I thought it looked pretty sweet. But the more I saw of it the less I started to think that it looked as good. It just looks kind of clunky, but granted I haven't seen any gameplay footage in a very long time so I am gonna check out more recent stuff. I've never played DS or BB and am not really interested in either of them though, I didn't even know this game had any relation to it.

When I saw Sekiro was coming out this month at first I thought they were talking about Ghosts of Tsushima, but then I saw it was coming out for other platforms and quickly realized it was the other samurai game.

Ghosts of Tsushima is the samurai game that really intrigues me.

EDIT:

Just read up a bit more on recent takes on it and it does seem interesting. I won't get it at launch since I'll be on vacation, but if it's getting good praise I might pick it up a couple weeks after launch. I'll wait to see the comparisons between PS4 Pro and X1X to see which console to get it on too, if I do.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Since Bloodborne is hands down my favorite game in the last thirty years, yeah I'm dying for Sekiro.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I've never played DS or BB and am not really interested in either of them though

It's funny, when I got my PS4 back in December 2016 I didn't really have any interest in Bloodborne and didn't expect to like it at all. But I bought it because it got good reviews, was really cheap (I paid $18 for it at Walmart), and because the PS4 exclusive lineup was pretty barren at the time. So after blazing through The Last of Us and Uncharted 1-4 I started playing it because there was nothing left to play on the system for me. First two hours I hated it because I couldn't make any progression and I'd usually die in the third or fourth fight I encountered, but I still thought the combat was pretty cool. But by five hours in the game I never expected to like and only bought because it was a default choice was feeling like a masterpiece. So even if it doesn't interest you it might still be worth renting, borrowing from a friend, or buying when it drops to $8 on PSN. A game I never expected to play for more than an hour or two ended up being the best thing I had played in 30 years. I thought the game looked stupid and that I'd never enjoy it since I wasn't a glutton for punishment playing hardcore games. But the control and combat are so great in the game. It's not difficult because it's cheap or requires you to be perfect. It's difficult because it requires you to be patient, observant, and come up with good strategies. And also because there is no real ranged combat to save you.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I'm interested, but I'll probably wait until Black Friday. I have played and enjoyed Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne, so I feel confident in FromSoftware's abilities, but I just have so many damn games to play as it is.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've never finished bloodborne, I'd have to start it over at this point because I forgot where I left off. I also never got too far in Nero either. But something about the movement and gameplay of this one seems like it will be still difficult but at the same time easier than Nero/Bloodborne.

I do want to get Sekiru but am waiting to see which console plays/looks better.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I've never finished bloodborne, I'd have to start it over at this point because I forgot where I left off. I also never got too far in Nero either. But something about the movement and gameplay of this one seems like it will be still difficult but at the same time easier than Nero/Bloodborne.

I do want to get Sekiru but am waiting to see which console plays/looks better.

They actually say that this game has a much more severe impact to the game world depending on the number of times you die. I think it is a stupid mechanic to be honest, because the thrill about these games is not knowing what's around the next corner and whether or not it can one shot you. This is why walking around narrow cliffs piss me off knowing that there'll be a pesky npc shoving me to my death.

But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. And as someone else mentioned, I have full faith in FROM and Miyazaki.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
With The Outer Wilds not coming to Steam for the first year, I'm suddenly more interested in getting Sekiro at release. Hmm.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
They actually say that this game has a much more severe impact to the game world depending on the number of times you die. I think it is a stupid mechanic to be honest, because the thrill about these games is not knowing what's around the next corner and whether or not it can one shot you. This is why walking around narrow cliffs piss me off knowing that there'll be a pesky npc shoving me to my death.

But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. And as someone else mentioned, I have full faith in FROM and Miyazaki.
Yea the dragonrot. I already got it once early in the game but I was able to cure it. I'm at the very first boss now. Not mini bosses, since I have the first 4 prayer beads to enhance physical attributes.

This annoys me too because I've already died twice to the boss. There is an NPC that gives a quest right after the boss fight so if I end up with dragonrot again I'll have to go find another way to cure it.

Also with the bosses it's not like the minibosses where you can run away after ressurrecting to rest and reset the area.