Who's getting a 1080ti?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Got the EVGA Hybrid variant of the 1080 Ti early last week and I've been pretty impressed so far. Changed up from two 980 Tis in SLI. I was very skeptical of making the change because on paper it should be a side grade but in practice it was a solid upgrade even on games with decent SLI scaling.

For example on Witcher 3 @ 4K, with my 980 Tis in SLI, everything maxed except Hairworks and AA my FPS ranged between 40-65fps. But with the 1080 Ti, I was able to turn on AA and get higher rates @ 55-70fps. Both were very playable but with the 1080 Ti it feels noticeably smoother. Plus with a single card the computer generated a lot less heat and is much quieter. In SLI the top card got pretty warm and fans spun very quickly. Lastly, no more problems with SLI profiles and weird GPU utilization issues.

So yeah, overall it was win-win-win-win. The only loser was my wallet, haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: moonbogg

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I bought one of the Founder's Edition cards and slapped a EVGA Hybrid kit on it. This past weekend, I replaced my motherboard. I just got tired of dealing with MSI's lackluster Killer Networking NIC. Anyway, during the upgrade, I decided to look into alternative places to mount the Hybrid's radiator, and even though people say it isn't "kosher", I decided to place it at the front. I left the case fan there and mounted the Noctua PF-12 fan in a pull position. Unsurprisingly, I'm seeing about 5-10C lower temperatures because its previous spot had it right behind the CPU's tower cooler.

Although, I have to admit that I still miss DVI. I really just hate how having multiple monitors with DisplayPort and/or HDMI causes Windows to completely forget where windows were and toss them on the main monitor. It's quite an annoyance to have to move everything back to the second monitor every time I either take my monitors out of sleep or turn them back on. Honestly, I've been tempted to just buy another card with DVI and sell my existing one at a slight loss. Chalk it up to poor foresight on my part.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I had the same issue with the killer NIC in my previous MSI motherboard as well, so now I am sticking with Intel NICs.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I had the same issue with the killer NIC in my previous MSI motherboard as well, so now I am sticking with Intel NICs.
My mobo has killer nic too but also Intel so I just use Intel. What problem does the killer network card have? I only used it once and that was because I accidentally plugged the Ethernet cord in the second port.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I had constant disconnects and even bsods due to killer NIC in the past.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
As for my Windows dilemma above, I did figure out a simpler fix that I feel a bit silly for not thinking about before. I stole the headless display from my NUC and installed it on the PC, and it seems to work. (The NUC needs the headless display as remote desktop just gives me a black screen when the monitor is off without the headless display.) The only downside is that I have an invisible display that -- even though I put it at the top right corner -- I still lose my mouse up there from time to time. I need to create a macro key to reset my mouse position. I'll probably just hold off and wait until the inevitable GTX 2080 to get a card with DVI... if it has one.

So, the last problem that I need to fix seems to have been introduced with the Creators Update. Now, when my monitors turn off (go to sleep), the backlight sometimes doesn't turn off. I'm not sure if the graphics drivers have any sort of control over this or anything like that. I did see that there was the new driver release yesterday, so I'll have to try that.

My mobo has killer nic too but also Intel so I just use Intel. What problem does the killer network card have? I only used it once and that was because I accidentally plugged the Ethernet cord in the second port.

I don't know if it was the cause of some of the BSODs that I've suffered, but the driver/software has had memory leaks twice so far. I didn't even notice until I wondered why my computer felt so sluggish, and I looked at Task Manager to see myself at 99% memory usage. If you want to avoid messing with it, you can usually turn off built-in devices (including NICs) in the BIOS. I could've just done that and installed a network card, but I decided against it. I can say that I have noticed far better transfer speeds when uploading files to my server. With the Killer NIC, I rarely had uniform speed. Even though my system and network could handle what I've always seen as the max on Gigabit (112MB/s), it wasn't common to see it transfer around 30-50MB/s for no apparent reason. After swapping, I usually get a consistent 112MB/s.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
As for my Windows dilemma above, I did figure out a simpler fix that I feel a bit silly for not thinking about before. I stole the headless display from my NUC and installed it on the PC, and it seems to work. (The NUC needs the headless display as remote desktop just gives me a black screen when the monitor is off without the headless display.) The only downside is that I have an invisible display that -- even though I put it at the top right corner -- I still lose my mouse up there from time to time. I need to create a macro key to reset my mouse position. I'll probably just hold off and wait until the inevitable GTX 2080 to get a card with DVI... if it has one.

So, the last problem that I need to fix seems to have been introduced with the Creators Update. Now, when my monitors turn off (go to sleep), the backlight sometimes doesn't turn off. I'm not sure if the graphics drivers have any sort of control over this or anything like that. I did see that there was the new driver release yesterday, so I'll have to try that.

I don't know if it was the cause of some of the BSODs that I've suffered, but the driver/software has had memory leaks twice so far. I didn't even notice until I wondered why my computer felt so sluggish, and I looked at Task Manager to see myself at 99% memory usage. If you want to avoid messing with it, you can usually turn off built-in devices (including NICs) in the BIOS. I could've just done that and installed a network card, but I decided against it. I can say that I have noticed far better transfer speeds when uploading files to my server. With the Killer NIC, I rarely had uniform speed. Even though my system and network could handle what I've always seen as the max on Gigabit (112MB/s), it wasn't common to see it transfer around 30-50MB/s for no apparent reason. After swapping, I usually get a consistent 112MB/s.
That's good to know, I haven't ran into issues with the killer card or software wasting my memory. I think the bios may have an option to turn off just the killer nic..I think.

I may have seen that option there. I upgraded to the f20 bios and gigabyte didn't mention if you don't have a newer 7700 series processor you don't need this bios because it ups the voltage core from 1.20 to 1.35. They also make it a pain in the butt to downgrade the bios too.

I had to use a custom script to downgrade my bios back to the last known good version which was f8 I think. After the downgrade I noticed my Mac address was wiped out so I had to use a hex editor and open the bios file, put in my Mac address and reflash. So I remember seeing options for turning off the network cards there in the bios section of networking.

You can also disable the killer card in windows. Will keep this in mind for my next mobo. If coffee lake requires a new socket then that's when I'll get a new mobo but for now it's fine.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Sup...

lLvPvAv.jpg

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks man! The 1080 ti is a beast. Pushes my 3440x1440 ultrawide nicely. The old Sandy Bridge is getting a little long in the tooth. I have my eyes on the new 7820x.
Yeah it is, I got my 1080Ti recently as well but I game at 1440P . The 4.8Ghz sandy is no slouch though and can easily hang with the big boys most of the time.

Oct 13, 2014
plus.google.com
Keeping 980ti till next gen
Yeah ahh... about that

Was hoping the next "2070" or whatever would have been about as powerful for less coin...
Driving X34 so moar powa was needed lol.
FTW3 would have looked sweet in there but pre-order delays and time to check out reviews I changed to the MSI, most people say the ftw3 is quite loud. This thing is silent and coming from full loop 980ti it had to be. Haven't tinkered with clocks too much yet but currently sits 1950-2000mhz @ 60-70c depending on the game/load. Will see how far it goes later, just enjoying right now.
39aac656ddebb2a226300193392c23e2.jpg
406640778a5b50e74c685e6db7ab7e37.jpg

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
...most people say the ftw3 is quite loud.

My FTW3 is very quiet...much quieter and cooler than my 1080 ti SC. I ran a Superposition stress test today. With a custom fan curve, a little overclock (2012MHz) after thirty minutes the max temp was 69* and the highest the fans ran were 68%. At that speed the card is virtually silent.

cdJZqzT.png

That MSI looks great in your setup. I have heard they are also very quiet.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That does look nice. I was about to get the msi but I really wanted to get the ftw3. Too bad they didn't ship until late. My strix oc is pretty quiet too. Fans don't come on until 55-60 and I haven't seen it go higher than 67 or so when benching or gaming.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
cool cool, I'll run some benchies when I'm back home next week...according to gamers nexus strix is the quietest, but they are priced too high (for me) in Australia
Honestly I think all the noise I hear is my CPU AIO kicking in. The corsair fans on the radiator sound like jet engines.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I ended up buying a FTW3 to replace my Founder's Edition + Hybrid kit. My first solution to use a headless display worked for the most part. Of course, I kept losing my cursor, but I put up with that; however, what I wouldn't put up with is when my computer decided to toss all windows onto the headless display! So, I purchased an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter, but it had a problem with sleep where it kept waking the monitor up, which resulted in a no-signal display, and then the monitor would go back to sleep. This just kept repeating over and over until the monitor was woken up by user intervention... or turned off manually. I really wanted to get an official Hybrid card, which has DVI, but as I sat there contemplating it last week, the card supply seems to have dried up.

Anyway, the FTW3 card is working pretty well. I haven't been able to hear any noise from it over my headphones, and I haven't adjusted the fan curve or anything like that. (I did see the Gamers Nexus video where they discussed its fan curve being overly aggressive.) At this point, I'm debating what to do with my original card. I may just toss it in the VR machine as I only use a single monitor on that PC anyway, or I've considered selling it, which may be a hassle.

EDIT:

Hm, I may have to do some work in my case. If the GPU is working quite a bit (high utilization), the card reaches some pretty steamy temps of around 83-84C pretty easily. (It'll just gradually rise.) I've already got 3 intake fans in my Fractal Design Define R5, so I added two more exhaust fans to see if that would help. I let Overwatch sit on the main menu, which sits there at 300 FPS the entire time letting the GPU crank out frames as fast as possible, and it still hits 83-84C.

At this point, I've only got two things I might try. First, my PC is in a room downstairs where that area has no dedicated thermostat, which means that room will heat up yet there's no cooling compensation. Combine that with the fact that there's a mini fridge in the room near the PC, it's not exactly the best environment for cooling. Although, I never had this problem with my 1080. It was just a normal EVGA 1080 SC, and it hit maybe around 70C. I'm thinking about swapping the case fans to some more aggressive Noctua fans to increase air flow.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
plus.google.com
My FTW3 is very quiet...much quieter and cooler than my 1080 ti SC. I ran a Superposition stress test today. With a custom fan curve, a little overclock (2012MHz) after thirty minutes the max temp was 69* and the highest the fans ran were 68%. At that speed the card is virtually silent.

cdJZqzT.png

That MSI looks great in your setup. I have heard they are also very quiet.
So, I was able to get higher clocks in this bench but 24/7 stable in other's, firestrike in particular, and games I had to leave it here. I'm not into the whole benching thing just gaming. Lower temps allow it to hold 2050, the small amount of throttling/fluctuating makes virtually no difference in games. btw nice rig

https://goo.gl/photos/cFfGP5n6FvGs9VWs9

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
plus.google.com
I ended up buying a FTW3

Hm, I may have to do some work in my case. If the GPU is working quite a bit (high utilization), the card reaches some pretty steamy temps of around 83-84C pretty easily. (It'll just gradually rise.) I've already got 3 intake fans in my Fractal Design Define R5, so I added two more exhaust fans to see if that would help. I let Overwatch sit on the main menu, which sits there at 300 FPS the entire time letting the GPU crank out frames as fast as possible, and it still hits 83-84C.

At this point, I've only got two things I might try. First, my PC is in a room downstairs where that area has no dedicated thermostat, which means that room will heat up yet there's no cooling compensation. Combine that with the fact that there's a mini fridge in the room near the PC, it's not exactly the best environment for cooling. Although, I never had this problem with my 1080. It was just a normal EVGA 1080 SC, and it hit maybe around 70C. I'm thinking about swapping the case fans to some more aggressive Noctua fans to increase air flow.

Are all three fans working, some people had only two and the fix was completely uninstall precisionx, delete folders, then reinstall. Someone else rma the card because of two fans only

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Are all three fans working, some people had only two and the fix was completely uninstall precisionx, delete folders, then reinstall. Someone else rma the card because of two fans only

Hm, I haven't heard of that, but I'll check that out tonight. Do they have to visibly inspect the card, or does it reflect the inoperable fan in Precision OCX?

I was actually able to sort of mitigate the heat problems by gating my framerate in Overwatch. I originally had it unlimited (300 FPS), which wasn't an issue on the main menu, and in game, it would usually hit around 220+. So, I just set it to monitor limited (144Hz), and it usually sticks around 155 FPS. It does eventually heat up, but I don't think I've seen it cross 80C yet.

Oct 13, 2014
plus.google.com
Hm, I haven't heard of that, but I'll check that out tonight. Do they have to visibly inspect the card, or does it reflect the inoperable fan in Precision OCX?

I was actually able to sort of mitigate the heat problems by gating my framerate in Overwatch. I originally had it unlimited (300 FPS), which wasn't an issue on the main menu, and in game, it would usually hit around 220+. So, I just set it to monitor limited (144Hz), and it usually sticks around 155 FPS. It does eventually heat up, but I don't think I've seen it cross 80C yet.
Well I'm not sure exactly, just remember skim reading it somewhere. If all fans are working in precision I'd assume they're all working physically. From what I've read about the ftw3 I'd ramp up fan 3 (power fan?) higher since most of the heat pipes are in that fin stack, apparently the gpu fan (1?) runs the highest on auto. If you are already running manually then forget about that.

80 does seem high for that card, maybe it is just your ambient or case flow

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Well I'm not sure exactly, just remember skim reading it somewhere. If all fans are working in precision I'd assume they're all working physically. From what I've read about the ftw3 I'd ramp up fan 3 (power fan?) higher since most of the heat pipes are in that fin stack, apparently the gpu fan (1?) runs the highest on auto. If you are already running manually then forget about that.

80 does seem high for that card, maybe it is just your ambient or case flow

I just checked and when the card is running at 75C, there's only a single fan on (the left-most one). I went into Precision OCX, and checked the Fan tab. I noticed that Enable Automatic Fan Control was disabled, so I enabled that. Now, I have the first two fans working, but the third fan still doesn't turn on, and that's interesting since I think Gamers Nexus said the VRM fan (the third one) was a bit too aggressive?