Who's buying a 6 core Coffee Lake CPU? (Poll Inside)

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

You buying a 6 core Coffee Lake?

• Yeah, I shall grab me that 6 core 12 thread i7 chip.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Yeah, I shall grab me that 6 core 6 thread i5 chip.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • No thanks Intel. I'm not interested.

Votes: 120 62.2%

• Total voters

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
"Good" Wifi is a bit of an oxymoron. Stick to wired, if at all physically possible.
If this is how an oxymoron looks like, I'll take it. Wire only takes me a bit higher towards the 500Mbps cap. The only reason I still hook as many devices as possible is to keep radio chatter to minimum. Having said that, the 2.4Ghz band is a blood bath in urban environment, I would definitely stay wired if that were the only option.

3EdlEQJ.png

I would not make a mITX build without (good) WiFi unless it was meant as some kind of server.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Built in wifi on an atx board, even a matx board is just a waste of resources 99% of the time.

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
I have to agree with that anytime that I see a back plate that has holes for antennas I cringe a bit. Even with the new standards and speeds coming out it still to me is not an optimal solution.

I actually prefer power line adapters to wifi, with more and more 4k content coming out won't be long before folks wonder why things are so slow. Can you imagine in say one household having 3 or 4 people watching 4k content over wifi, what bandwidth would take even with hvec encoding. Or having say 3 tv's watching 4k Netflix at the same time?

give me my 5k network switches for good price, I am almost to the point where powerline is showing it's slowness. I use the newer standards, and if I try to say play a 1080 MKV over my network using Kodi with SCP with powerline I see a slowdown, that I can only attribute to powerline. granted my power might be crap, but not willing to wire my room just for an occasional local movie. I would probably move the system or the files to something better.

Oct 19, 2007
One must be stark raving mad to not make that move :p

Or, in a more normal approach; you'll notice the benefits of such a true upgrade, and quite notably IMHO.

I'm sure you're right. I just use it as a toy nowadays (games and media), but it was an expensive build at the time (for me) and up until now the annual release of Intel quad-cores were disappointing.

To be 100% honest - I think my motives in putting that on the forum was to get a response like yours and use it to convince myself that "it's time".

I'm pretty sure it worked.

Thanks!

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm sure you're right. I just use it as a toy nowadays (games and media), but it was an expensive build at the time (for me) and up until now the annual release of Intel quad-cores were disappointing.

To be 100% honest - I think my motives in putting that on the forum was to get a response like yours and use it to convince myself that "it's time".

I'm pretty sure it worked.

Thanks!
Just using Cinebench as an example, a decent Gulftown score is about 11.11 OCed, as seen here:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-cinebench-r11-5-score.2443441/#post-37637562

A stock 7800X (As close to representative of CFL hexacore as can be found now) scores 15.04 at stock as seen here:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1155...core-i9-7900x-i7-7820x-and-i7-7800x-tested/15

Taking into account the expected serious OC headroom, the difference between the two becomes gigantic.

Last edited:
Reactions: SangamonTaylor

Donts00tmesanta

Feb 11, 2008
Gonna stick with an ivy bridge or haswell i7 for 2 years see what happens next year with ryzen gen 2 and next gen intel

Mar 10, 2006
Gonna stick with an ivy bridge or haswell i7 for 2 years see what happens next year with ryzen gen 2 and next gen intel

Ryzen Gen 2 is just a clock bumped version of this year's Ryzens, and next year's Intel should just be more cores.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
So for those getting Coffee Lake which ram are you going to pair it with?

I already have the G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (F4-3200C15D-16GVK) for many months now. I bought those waiting for Ryzen only to find out that they wouldn't work at 3200Mhz with the first AGESAs. I've seen them listed as working now, but all AMD did, is make me wait long enough for Coffee to arrive, which will potentially make them lose a sale, but I'll see what I'll do at the end.

Fun fact, I bought them at 148euros and they have shot up to 187 euros now. They even went above 200 at some point.

I do hope they are instantly compatible with Coffeelake however, since they are essentially "Intel" ram, with XMPs and all.

ezodagrom

Mar 4, 2009
Was planning on saving money to get the i7 8700K around early Q2 next year (most likely when I would be able to afford it and all the other parts I'm gonna need), but since my sister's PC is needing an upgrade even more badly than mine (she has a Core 2 Duo, I have a Phenom II X4), I'm gonna temporarily upgrade to the i5 8400 once I can afford it (by the end of the year, maybe?) while giving my current CPU to my sis, then I'll save up for the 8700K or something better (depending on what releases in the 2nd half of next year) and give the i5 to my sis.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I already have the G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (F4-3200C15D-16GVK) for many months now. I bought those waiting for Ryzen only to find out that they wouldn't work at 3200Mhz with the first AGESAs. I've seen them listed as working now, but all AMD did, is make me wait long enough for Coffee to arrive, which will potentially make them lose a sale, but I'll see what I'll do at the end.

Fun fact, I bought them at 148euros and they have shot up to 187 euros now. They even went above 200 at some point.

I do hope they are instantly compatible with Coffeelake however, since they are essentially "Intel" ram, with XMPs and all.

RAM prices are projected to continue increasing into 2018, unfortunately.

As far as RAM compatibility, your RAM should work at 3200 with newer UEFIs on Ryzen. Worst case 2933 on budget boards. I would expect XMP timings on the Coffee Lake boards as they have the same setup as Kaby Lake/Skylake for memory.

Reactions: psolord

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I think that 3200 for CFL is rather on the low side. It'll work fine but you can get more and it is actually helpful. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you can simply XMP 4000+ then price comes into effect though :/

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I won't do anything less than 4133 CAS-16.

I don't think that G.Skill has that in my colour (gunmetal gray with black insets). Also, I'd like such a kit as long as I can XMP it (or manually set it); I don't mind tinkering with the CPU stuff but getting RAM to work is a pain if necessary.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Well, I was planning on waiting until next year to build something but my brother is interested in my 7700k box so... I may be picking up an 8700k after all.

I thought about Ryzen for a second but I rarely do any heavy lifting other than gaming and the 8700k will be the best gaming CPU out there so unless clockspeed just isn't there (it will be) I'm looking at an 8700k and getting locked into another dead end mobo purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arachnotronic