• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Whole system keeps freezing... what is the issue?

Integraoligist

Apr 6, 2008
System Specs:
MOBO: MSI 970AG46
CPU: AMD FX8300
Graphics: MSI Radeon R7 260x
RAM:Kingston HyperX Fury Red 32GB
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB
DVD Burner: Asus DRW24B1ST
Power: Thermaltake TR500
Monitors: 2 Planar PLL2210W

Hi all,
Have a 2.5 year old tower, had Windows 7 on it then did the free 10 upgrade... has always randomly froze up with no reason. Sometimes when I'm working, sometimes just overnight with nothing open... just whenever.

In the past couple weeks it's freezing constantly. So I always assumed this was a 7 to 10 upgrade issue so I went ahead and formatted the entire system and installed an OEM copy of 10 Pro from scratch.

This did not fix the problem. It's still freezing all the time. I disconnected each piece of hardware to see if I could locate the cause, but it still froze. I disconnected the Ethernet cable, and I was able to get 3 days of sitting without it freezing. So I assumed that it was either the network cable or the LAN port because 3 minutes after I plugged the ethernet back in, boom, it froze.

I changed out the ethernet cable, still froze... I just upgraded the Router then it's plugged directly into, still froze... I just received a USB Network adapter, I plug it in to the USB port, I put the ethernet cable into the adapter, still freezes.

I went to all the USB items and the net network adapter in device manager and turned OFF power management... I even disabled the onboard LAN interface... nope, still froze.

I put system maintenance on the machine to see if a piece of hardware is overheating... nope, all within spec.

I did a memory test to see if it was a RAM stick... all passed fine.

Any ideas on what else I can do would be helpfull.

Thanks all!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
How many sticks of ram? Could they be bad or did you only test one? Sounds like a hardware issue if you already clean installed Windows. Try to run memtest for each stick separately.

Are you running an SSD? It's possible that it may be going bad.

Integraoligist

Apr 6, 2008
4 sticks of RAM, I ran memtest on all of them, I even removed all of them and installed 1 at a time and tested... all came back fine.

No SSD, just a Western Digital 1tb 7200rpm drive.

I thought this was a hardware issue as well, I thought it had something to do with the LAN port on the mobo because it has never froze while the ethernet is unplugged. So I bought the USB Ethernet adapter to bypass it completely. A few minutes after I connect the ethernet cable to the new adapter, it freezes again.

So the only thing I can come up with now is either a mobo problem or a CPU problem... I have no idea.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Could you try another CPU? Or try your CPU in another board? If it's freezing randomly like that it has to be either CPU or something on the mobo.

I've had random mobo issues come up without figuring out what exactly it is and am thinking swapping my board out.

If it's not the ram or hard drive, it's definitely the CPU or motherboard. Or maybe something wrong in the power supply but you would see other issues if that was the case.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS