Whole Foods employees 'having nightmares' over stressful work environment

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
What is Wegmans doing that is completely different from all these other stores?
Maybe they only open stores in areas where the labour pool only has a small percentage of spoiled snowflakes with a strong sense of entitlement?

-KeithP

Reactions: FeuerFrei

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Personally if I ran a company I would be more fair in how I pay my employees and there would be more profit sharing. Low skill jobs would start at minimum wage but there would be a raise ladder to climb over the years and you would be able to make more. So to use a grocery store as an example, someone who has been there for say 5+ years and doing a good job would probably make like 22/hour or something. There would be a cap, but everyone would also collectively get a raise once a year if the company is doing well. Or maybe instead of a raise, a nice bonus. Even that is low to live on with costs of living always going up, but it's still better than 14.

A corporation *CAN* afford that, easily. They just don't want to because if they don't make more profit than the year before then they consider it a failure. That whole system is just ridiculous and not sustainable, you can't ALWAYS make more than the year before. But they do, they find ways. Usually at employee and customer expenses. Crap employee pay/conditions, and crap products. Products in general now days are made way cheaper and cheaper than before and are lower quality. It's not the customers that benefit from the fact that it's cheaper to produce them that way. Some products cost less than they used to be, but they also don't last as long. I would rather pay 2 grand for an appliance and have it last 20+ years and be designed so it's easier to repair if it does break, than to pay $600 for one that breaks after 5 years and is impossible to repair.

There's this little thing called shareholders and needing to do what's best for the shareholders.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
What could possibly be stressful about selling free range, hormone-free pasta to people who are effectively brain-dead?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I had nightmares after Kosovo.

I had nightmares when my dad got Lou Gherigs.

Never had nightmares about work.

Weird.

Nov 20, 2009
Well, compared to my company work environment they might be onto something. Try working with 'there's plenty of work' while at the same time being in a business unit under constant threat of workforce reductions. And then mating that to a center overseas that is not affected by such threats.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well, compared to my company work environment they might be onto something. Try working with 'there's plenty of work' while at the same time being in a business unit under constant threat of workforce reductions. And then mating that to a center overseas that is not affected by such threats.

That seems to be the passive stress of most jobs now. You don't know from one day to the next if you'll even still have a job. I thought of jumping ship since my company is constantly doing restructuring and I hate the uncertainty and the feeling of lacking job security. But really it's probably like that everywhere. Capitalism. Every company is doing everything they can to cut costs and when they do cut costs, it's not enough, so the next year, more layoffs.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I've got big respect for retail jobs because you're on your feet all day. It's draining.
Yea, and dealing face to face with customers. I worked retail, and serviced POS systems, the shit you see is unreal.

As a service rep, I've had customers literally yelling at me for not helping them. Cash register parts strewn across the counter, obvious vendor badge. Verbally telling them this, and still heads explode.

I'm very polite and courteous to retail employees, and my kids get to see that first hand...

Couple that environment with an employer piling on workloads that are unrealistic, it's a wonder amyone survives.

And on top of that, unforgiving in terms of sick time, child care situations such as sick time, paid time off, vacation time....seriously man....retail is tough

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've got big respect for retail jobs because you're on your feet all day. It's draining.

Yep and generally it's a very busy environment, you're constantly running around on your feet and don't really get a break outside of your official 15 minute break, if you even get that. Same with fast food, that is even worse as every second counts. Like having to rush the food out the drive thru window within 30 seconds so you can move to next order. All day and on your feet. I guess it will keep you in shape that's for sure! You could not pay me enough to work those types of jobs tbh. I've been lucky that I never had to work them. In high school my first summer job was cleaning and I just took the same job every summer, and in college my summer job was IT. If I had to, I'd do the cleaning type job again, or any job where you don't really have to interact with customers. Those types of jobs it's more about getting the job done, than having to get it done fast, so you can work a bit more at your own pace.

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
Yea, and dealing face to face with customers. I worked retail, and serviced POS systems, the shit you see is unreal.

As a service rep, I've had customers literally yelling at me for not helping them. Cash register parts strewn across the counter, obvious vendor badge. Verbally telling them this, and still heads explode.

I'm very polite and courteous to retail employees, and my kids get to see that first hand...

Couple that environment with an employer piling on workloads that are unrealistic, it's a wonder amyone survives.

And on top of that, unforgiving in terms of sick time, child care situations such as sick time, paid time off, vacation time....seriously man....retail is tough
So the system is working as designed?

Great use of the POS acronym and noun in the same sentence :D

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
That wasn't really where I was going with that. I was talking about our military adventurism around the world. The preponderance of military is middle class downward. If the rich kids didn't get exceptions and deferments, I think you'd see less world action(which is typically against brown people).

People are whining that Trump's making us less relevant on the world stage. Fucking great! We should be like Switzerland. 80% of Americans probably couldn't point to it on a map, but when you need something exceptional, you call the Swiss, and they do shit right. They'll also fuck you up if you hostilely cross their border. They aren't sitting around in garbage dumps, eating flies cause no one cares about what they think of Iraq. Their lives are pretty good. Keep your head down, mind your own business, and be exceptional is a good way to live.
The Swiss also have mandatory conscription through either military or civil service, which to me is more functional and powerful than any welfare system.