whoa! France votes to ban veils and burqas

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'd have no problem with passing a law that mandated faces being shown on government-issued photo ID's, but an outright ban seems like it's infringing on religious freedom and would never pass muster in the US

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Did this really happen or is this just a concern?

It actually happened from what I read. I do not recall the source but it most likely was Fox News. I believe it was with regards to Belgium and France having issues with this.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I'd have no problem with passing a law that mandated faces being shown on government-issued photo ID's, but an outright ban seems like it's infringing on religious freedom and would never pass muster in the US

Separation of church and state will get a law like this through. You can't force your religion on a state just like a state can't force it's religion on you.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
When were you last in a European country? :hmm:

Just a few months ago: March. However, any personal experiences are irrelevant anecdotal evidence. I'm relying on statistics and research, as well as work from human rights groups and journalists.

Racism, bigotry, xenophobia are extremely serious issues in Europe, especially given the continent's history of genocide of minority groups (as well as those outside the continent).

Last edited:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Oh I'm sorry, which country is currently involved in two invasions of Muslim countries?

The classic "they're doing something so it's okay for me to do something else" tactic utilized by racist apologists.

To satisfy your perverted logic: Many European countries were involved in Muslim countries (I think using invasion for Afghanistan may be questionable b/c the internationally and legally recognized government was not invaded). In addition, one of those countries (the Netherlands) also participated in a genocide against a Muslim community in Europe in the 1990s. The same country also has a horrible history of slavery against Muslims well into the mid-20th century with its embracing of Empire.

They are attacking a minority group within their own country, elsewhere in their continent, and in other countries around the world.

In addition, many other minority groups are under threat elsewhere in Europe. The Roma, for example.

However, this is more than just some tallying game to see who has the most marks.

This is more than just some tallying game. The lives of billions of people are at stake.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
The law requires women to wear head scarves in many Muslim countries. We require women not to wear them in our countries. What's the problem?

Jul 10, 2007

because we live in a fucking pussy country that's so fucking concerned about being PC all the fucking time.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
I'm Belgian and we just passed a similar law. The problem is that these kind of laws will do nothing about the core problem which is the growing islam extremist movement. We have groups like sharia4belgium who make no secret about their end goal, overthrow our democratic govt. and enact a Saudi-Arabia at the North Sea. Every week you read in the newspaper about fights in ER's because some muslim wacko doesn't want a male doc or nurse to take care of his sick wife. Jewish Belgians are harassed by young Muslims in cities like Antwerp. Women are made out for whores in certain Brussel neigbourhoods because they are not dressed "appropiate" (we are talking about knee lenght skirts). And the list goes on and on .....

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Yes, they are being weighed. And acting like the Taliban by imposing dress requirements for women is certainly not in the interests of most countries.

Yes, their governmental policies tend to be the among the worst in the world.

I'm not FOR this law COW, I'm very much against it. I think we just have a difference of opinion on how these countries should treat their "problem".

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
"Any garment?" So if I decide to vacation in the French alps during the winter I can't wear a balaclava? Hello Switzerland.

Oct 27, 2007
The law requires women to wear head scarves in many Muslim countries. We require women not to wear them in our countries. What's the problem?
So your argument is "we're no worse than some third-world theocracy shithole, therefore we're ok"?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
So your argument is "we're no worse than some third-world theocracy shithole, therefore we're ok"?

I think it's incredibly elitist and condescending to pretend that we're somehow "better" than the Muslim country's that have laws requiring head scarves for women. We're not better or worse, we're the same. So they have absolutely no reason to want to immigrate from their country to ours.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I think it's incredibly elitist and condescending to pretend that we're somehow "better" than the Muslim country's that have laws requiring head scarves for women. We're not better or worse, we're the same. So they have absolutely no reason to want to immigrate from their country to ours.

This: there is not right or wrong. It's simple a matter of how we want to live and women treated. We prefer not to treat them like vomit anymore, 'honor kill' them, restrict them from driving, wearing burkas or anything else that makes them second class status. They and our coverts can live in those countries who do.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So come Halloween the cops are going to write enough tickets to pay the national debt?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
This topic comes up every couple of weeks it seems. 1) Just a couple reminders: religion is not the same as race. You choose your religion. 2) How tolerant are muslims of other religions in countries where muslims are the majority? Oh yeah that's right they're horribly intolerant.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Hope France follows this up by cutting off their immigration from regions that bring in troublesome folks. If they need immigrants to maintain their population maybe we can set up some deal with Mexico for them.