whoa! France votes to ban veils and burqas

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/07/14/france-moves-toward-a-burqa-ban/

Calling full face veils “a new form of enslavement,” the lower house of the French parliament voted 335 to 1 to ban any garment which obstructs the face.
"No one can, in the public space, wear clothing intended to hide the face," the draft bill said.
It is the latest move from a handful of European countries, including Spain and Belgium, seeking to ban veils worn by some Muslim women. If passed by the Senate in September as predicted, the bill could impose fines of about $191 (150 euros) and a citizenship course for offenders. Those who force women to wear face veils, may face a harsher punishment of a year in prison and a $38,000 (30,000 euro) fine.
More than 200 opposition members refused to vote, demonstrating their opposition to both face veils and the ban.
Of the estimated 5 million Muslims in France, only about 1,900 wear full-face veils, such as the burqa and the niqab.

Wow. I was under the impression that their governments were bending over backwards to accommodate religious beliefs. Personally, I'm surprised by this; then again, I haven't been paying a ton of attention to the issues in France.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
nope, they are as reviled there as they are here.

I knew that - but I thought everyone over there was afraid of even mildly offending any Muslims in an official capacity. Here too. i.e. don't show Muhammed on SouthPark! Don't let anyone publish any more cartoons with Muhammed in them; free speech be damned.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I knew that - but I thought everyone over there was afraid of even mildly offending any Muslims in an official capacity. Here too. i.e. don't show Muhammed on SouthPark! Don't let anyone publish any more cartoons with Muhammed in them; free speech be damned.
I know what you're saying. I was surprised too. For anyone paying attention, the Muslim faith is gaining an enormous foothold in many European nations. That's fine, but they're getting very vocal and putting a lot of pressure on governments to adopt their way of life. Sharia law, etc. That's wrong. I'm glad to see at least one European nation standing up to them and saying no.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I know what you're saying. I was surprised too. For anyone paying attention, the Muslim faith is gaining an enormous foothold in many European nations. That's fine, but they're getting very vocal and putting a lot of pressure on governments to adopt their way of life. Sharia law, etc. That's wrong. I'm glad to see at least one European nation standing up to them and saying no.

I was trying to explain that to my co-worker today who brought it up. I don't agree with banning clothing or head wear. Fuck them for telling people what they can and cannot wear. They should just tell the Muslim population to fuck off they're not adopting any Islamic law into their nation. If the Muslim population has a problem with it, they're more than welcome to move somewhere else.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I was trying to explain that to my co-worker today who brought it up. I don't agree with banning clothing or head wear. Fuck them for telling people what they can and cannot wear.
Yeah, I see your point and agree with it to a degree. But when I read about Muslim women refusing to lift a veil for an ID picture, I have to side with this ruling.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
france and most other european countries are horribly racist. It's government funded racism

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, I see your point and agree with it to a degree. But when I read about Muslim women refusing to lift a veil for an ID picture, I have to side with this ruling.

Sure, but that's one case and they should just not issue the ID if she won't allow them to take her picture. If not having an a photo id is against the law then i guess she'll pay the consequences for it. Like I said I think things would be better handled if they just told the Muslim population to shut the fuck up and deal with the fact they aren't going to adopt Sharia Law or any other Islamic views/practices into their law.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
france and most other european countries are horribly racist. It's government funded racism

Islam is a race?

Anyways, I read that some countries over there are having issues with men dressing like women and covering their faces then committing crimes. Many felt this was a good enough reason to bring this up.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Sure, but that's one case and they should just not issue the ID if she won't allow them to take her picture. If not having an a photo id is against the law then i guess she'll pay the consequences for it. Like I said I think things would be better handled if they just told the Muslim population to shut the fuck up and deal with the fact they aren't going to adopt Sharia Law or any other Islamic views/practices into their law.
You've convinced me - seriously. Makes good sense.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
You've convinced me - seriously. Makes good sense.

It sucks that they're reverting to telling people what they can and cannot wear. It also sucks that they feel threatened by their migrant population. I think these European countries need to make it perfectly clear to the migrant populations that they will not be adopting their cultures and laws into their government and if the migrants want to live there they need to just accept the fact or they can fuck off. Europe is a very different place than here in the States. Everyone clamors about racism, xenophobia, etc here in the States, but I think we're close to the top of the list when it comes to acceptance of race and culture.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
As I've said 100x to those scared of some Muslim take over the more we come into contact with Muslims the more we will understand the ideas inoculated by Qur'an, Hadith, and Sira, is that a state of permanent war must exist between Believer and Unbeliever, between Muslim and Infidel and inhabitants of the West can no longer pretend Jihad does not exist - shown by open warfare, by terrorism, by economic boycotts and so forth if they are not sufficiently submissive to Muslim demands - Europe will fight back and win easy just like they've had to do before which is not taught anymore. Gotta keep repeating history. Oh well. Good start, next would be banning those hateful books like we did Mein Kampf.

Last edited:

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
How will their law enforcement be able to identify people who commit crimes if they're wearing veils/ski-masks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

LOL what a fool. Islam is a fascist religion not a race. Are you really this ignorant?