Whoa. Former Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson dead of a heart attack.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Former Atlanta Mayor Maynard Jackson dies

Maynard Holbrook Jackson, Jr., a three-term mayor of Atlanta and one of its most charismatic civic leaders, died in Washington Sunday night of a heart attack. He was 65.

Bunnie Jackson-Ransom, his ex-wife, said she had few details. She was boarding a plane back to Atlanta from the Rainbow/PUSH convention in Chicago.

She said the couple's son called her of the news.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson announced Jackson's death to a stunned Chicago audience.

A great-grandson of Cobb County slaves, Jackson was launched from Atlanta's black aristocracy, graduated from Morehouse College at 18 years old and was elected in 1973 the first black mayor of a major Southern city.

:(

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Nothing more exciting than GA state politics, that is if you are from GA, otherwise you may find it a bit confusing.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: glen
Nothing more exciting than GA state politics, that is if you are from GA, otherwise you may find it a bit confusing.
Well, Maynard and his career went beyond the Georgia borders in many ways. I guess most here are too young to know who he was. :(

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Second post today that you've mentioned something I haven't heard of. ;)
Yeah, well......you live in Utah......under a big rock.......so no surprises there, eh? :p

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Well, Maynard and his career went beyond the Georgia borders in many ways. I guess most here are too young to know who he was. :(

What did Neal Boortz have to say about it today?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Fausto1

What did Neal Boortz have to say about it today?
Nothing yet that I could find. The story broke about 5 minutes before I posted the link.

He may have something to say about it tomorrow as Maynard is a big part of modern Atlanta history and development.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

He has been called the GrandDaddy of Affirmative Action. He was the first Black Mayor of Atlanta, he helped bring the Olympics to Atlanta and on and on, better check again that he had no influence outside of Georgia.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

He has been called the GrandDaddy of Affirmative Action. He was the first Black Mayor of Atlanta, he helped bring the Olympics to Atlanta and on and on, better check again that he had no influence outside of Georgia.

"Better check again" what it is that I wrote.
It refers to GA politics, not Maynard Jackson.