WHOA: Abbas says the new coalition government will recognize Israel

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Click to email this article Click to email this article Click to format this article for printing Click to format this article for printing View a list of most popular articles on our site
advertisement
TODAY'S MOST POPULAR
1. How Random Is the iPod's Shuffle?
2. Facebook Flirts With a Big-Money Deal
3. 'Gimme' Remains Part of the Game
4. Amaranth Agrees to Sell Energy Portfolio
5. Stocks Fall on Philly Fed
Personalized Home Page Setup
Put headlines on your homepage about the companies, industries and topics that interest you most.

Palestinian President Abbas Says
Government Will Recognize Israel
Associated Press
September 21, 2006 9:50 p.m.

UNITED NATIONS -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas told the U.N. General Assembly Thursday that the planned national unity government will recognize Israel.

The Hamas-led Palestinian government that won elections in January has refused to recognize Israel, end violence and honor past agreements between Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization, which Mr. Abbas heads.

Mr. Abbas told the assembly's annual ministerial meeting that he has recently sought to establish a government of national unity "that is consistent with international and Arab legitimacy and that responds to the demands of the key parties promoting Mideast peace -- recognition, ending violence and honoring past agreements.

"I would like to reaffirm that any future Palestinian government will commit to all the agreements that the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Palestinian National Authority have committed to," he said.

These include the letters of mutual recognition exchanged on Sept. 9, 1993, by the late Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and Palestinian chairman Yasser Arafat, whom Mr. Abbas called "the two great late leaders."

"These letters contain mutual recognition between Israel and the PLO, renunciation of violence, and commitment to negotiations as the path towards reaching a permanent solution that will lead to the establishment of the independent state of Palestine alongside the state of Israel," Mr. Abbas said.

Hamas's refusal to recognize Israel has led to international sanctions that have devastated the Palestinian economy. Israel and Western donors cut off hundreds of millions of dollars in funding to the Palestinians. Facing intense pressure as it has been unable to pay tens of thousands of civil servants because of the sanctions, Hamas agreed last week to form a coalition with Mr. Abbas's moderate Fatah party in hopes of lifting the boycott imposed by Western countries.

The coalition talks have stalled in recent days as the U.S. seeks assurances that the Islamic militant group will renounce violence and recognize the Jewish state.

link

Hmm am i seeing light at the end of the tunnel?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Abbas wants it - It will allow Western $$ to start flowing.

Hamas rejected it. The most they will accept is a "truce". And we have seen how Hamas handles truces.

So who is Hamas trying to represent and help. their ideology or the Palestinian people?

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
They probably represent the Iranians & Syrians, given the fact they get money from Iran, and their leader is in Damascus.

Hamas is good for the Palestinians as much as cyanide would be.

EDIT: Seems like they're increasing the amount of "subliminal" messages. (via LGF)

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
I don't think we'll ever see peace until we move Israel to North America and move Palestine to somewhere in southeast Asia or something. Need to seperate the two... and then use their land for a NATO Peace Keeping Area.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Looks like those sanctions against Hamas were working after all.

Once the government is agreed upon and can be viewed as stable, the Palestinians will finally get their money, which Hamas had denied them for so long by declaring an everlasting war on Israel.

I have hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
"Abbas says unity effort "back to zero"

Looks like Hamas would rather see the death of thousands of innocent people from starvation than say Israel has the right to exist. Sad.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Hamas wants dead Israelis. They will allow their own people to die to obtain the aide from the UN that they need to continue their war. The question is can we handle the pressure on Hamas or will we surrender and support their war effort?

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
******. Looks like pretty much anything that happens now is on Hamas's head.

Course, terrorist apologizers will still blame Israel when Palestinians starve because their government cares more about hating Israel than actually governing their own people.

Very sad.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Aisengard
******. Looks like pretty much anything that happens now is on Hamas's head.

Course, terrorist apologizers will still blame Israel when Palestinians starve because their government cares more about hating Israel than actually governing their own people.

Very sad.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
There is no apologizing for terrorism, but punishing the whole nation regardless of why many of them voted for Hamas and along with the many who didn't is downright abhorrent as well.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
And where is the movement in Israel to recognize Palestine? It's not a one-sided debate, people.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Originally posted by: conjur
And where is the movement in Israel to recognize Palestine? It's not a one-sided debate, people.

Uhm. Israel would very much like to, but since technically Palestine isn't a STATE, they can't very well recognize it can they?

If you want to criticize Israel for not recognizing some mythical state of Palestine, you should first criticize the entire world, who if you ask them about the state of Palestine, they'd reply "The State of what now?"

There is no apologizing for terrorism, but punishing the whole nation regardless of why many of them voted for Hamas and along with the many who didn't is downright abhorrent as well.

If Hamas laid down its arms and recognized Israel, there would be peace and prosperity in the region. If Israel laid down its arms there would be no Israel, and the entire area would be one big refugee camp.

It's the truth, and pretty much unarguable.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
If you gave up your ignorant landgraber jingoisms you might realize that I didn't suggest anyone lay down any arms.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Arafat was given the chance to create a state of Palestine and walked away from the table. Even Clinton blamed him for it "I regret that in 2000 Arafat missed the opportunity to bring that nation into being and pray for the day when the dreams of the Palestinian people for a state and a better life will be realized in a just and lasting peace."
Israel is more than happy to give them a state in order to bring about peace, it is Hamas and the others who don't want peace and instead want the destruction of Israel.

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
Pfft.....
I don't know in what world you live in, but when you are not in a position of power, you can't dictate the rules of disengagement.
Perhaps you'd like to argue that if they were given full control of the West Bank, then we would have "peace in our time"; I know that I'm not far from what goes on in your mind.

Anyway, if the Arabs didn't pull the kind of crap they did back in 1948 and in 1967, then we wouldn't be in this mess, would we?

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Aisengard

Uhm. Israel would very much like to, but since technically Palestine isn't a STATE, they can't very well recognize it can they?

If you want to criticize Israel for not recognizing some mythical state of Palestine, you should first criticize the entire world, who if you ask them about the state of Palestine, they'd reply "The State of what now?"

Palestine is recognized as a state by numerous nations, just go to Middle East, Southeast Asia & Pacific, northern Africa, etc. Just because we, the U.S., don't recognize it doesn't mean its not a state. In fact, Palestine is much more of a state than some African nations that are controlled only by warlords.

If Hamas laid down its arms and recognized Israel, there would be peace and prosperity in the region. If Israel laid down its arms there would be no Israel, and the entire area would be one big refugee camp.

It's the truth, and pretty much unarguable

So typical of America today. We have an opinion, and its *pretty much unarguable*. We're right, you're wrong. Just like our president says...

Matt Lauer: The head of Amnesty International has blasted your administration for its engagement in torture. Do you have any counter-arguments?

George W. Bush: Well, I don't agree with him.

BRILLIANT DEFENSE!

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: dna
Pfft.....
I don't know in what world you live in, but when you are not in a position of power, you can't dictate the rules of disengagement.
I live in this world where might doesn't make right no matter how much others try to pretend it does.
Perhaps you'd like to argue that if they were given full control of the West Bank, then we would have "peace in our time"; I know that I'm not far from what goes on in your mind.
I argue that we might be able have peace at some point after the Zionist land grab stops. But we obviously can't have peace until after Zionists stop taking Palestinian land. But I'm guessing that in your mind you have no intrest in peace and would much rather contenue taking land, eh?
Anyway, if the Arabs didn't pull the kind of crap they did back in 1948 and in 1967, then we wouldn't be in this mess, would we?
We wouldn't have this mess if the Zionist didn't come from Europe to colonize the land back in 1885, but all those dates have passed and we need to come to a workable solution for both parties now.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Originally posted by: TheSnowman

This notion that the poor people who don't support/believe in terrorism are being unfairly punished is some sympathetic BS. It is true but irrelavent, guilt by association is the law of the world.

For example, as an American I didn't vote for our current administration and don't believe in most of the things they've done in the last many years including going to war in Iraq. But this gives me no protection from extremist terrorist and those who would like to harm americans, they would gladly blow my shite up just like the next guy. If I want to enjoy the life that America offers, this is the price I pay.

The same go's for the poor peaceful people of Palestine, Lebanon, and other areas run by fundamentalist terrorists. They always have the option to denounce their leaders and leave the country, if they choose to stay and except their protection/support they have no right to claim innocence when their leaders decisions cause bombs to rain on their heads.

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
I live in this world where might doesn't make right no matter how much others try to pretend it does.

Nobody said it did, but you gotta keep it in perspective, and adjust demands.

We wouldn't have this mess if the Zionist didn't come from Europe to colonize the land back in 1885, but all those dates have passed and we need to come to a workable solution for both parties now.

Colonize -- oh, so that's what it is when people come and buy land.... :roll:
Let's see what King Abdullah wrote:
It is made quite clear to all, both by the map drawn up by the Simpson Commission and by another compiled by the Peel Commission, that the Arabs are as prodigal in selling their land as they are in useless wailing and weeping.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
You see where the problem is? Some Arabs live in a parallel universe where they set the fact as they want. I mean, not recognizing Israel or the Moon is pretty much the same. Until the Palestinians seek for a way to coexist instead of the destruction of Israel, there will be tough times. Sad, but true.