Who would win in a fight...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0
the shark for sure. tiny sharks have already been eating people in waist high water. i'm sure a larger shark would eat a polar bear in that type of water as well.

uhhh....bears are a lot stronger for their size than people....14 year old girls don't count.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: purbeast0
the shark for sure. tiny sharks have already been eating people in waist high water. i'm sure a larger shark would eat a polar bear in that type of water as well.

uhhh....bears are a lot stronger for their size than people....14 year old girls don't count.

and larger sharks are a lot stronger than tiny sharks :)

all i'm saying is that if a large shark bit the leg of a polar bear in waste high water it would probably completely rip the leg off or disable the bear so much that the bear woudn't even be able to use the leg. that would already be game/set/match.

Promethply

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
How asinine is this!

/I kid

BTW, a .338 Winchester Magnum caliber hunting rifle will bag you any type of bear -- they taste pretty good (pork-like).

Meanwhile, you want to use a 20mm Sniper rifle to kill that great white, and I'd be disappointed because its flesh taste pretty much like any other, well, fish :p

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: JoeKing
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
pfft this argument has nothing on the couger vs. bear argument.

BTW couger would definatly win.

You're on crack and you've obviously no idea just how big a grizly is.

Grizzley can't do jack crap if it can't catch the couger! The couger has speed and agility, it'll wear the bear down.

Though I was really thinking more of black bears in my orginal argument, now that I think of it a couger could probably take a grizzley also!

:confused:

A cougar doesn't have the brains to know to run the bear down. And why would a cougar be running away if it knew it was going to fight the bear?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Yea. A cougar would be a joke. It would leap at the bear, maybe get a bite in, but then the bear would grab it and rip it in half.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

Grizzley can't do jack crap if it can't catch the couger! The couger has speed and agility, it'll wear the bear down.

Though I was really thinking more of black bears in my orginal argument, now that I think of it a couger could probably take a grizzley also!

A bear could outrun a cougar very easily. Bears can chase down horses. There was a story here of a guy who killed a cougar with a knife. Now, guy + knife will get demolished by any bear.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: silverpig

A bear could outrun a cougar very easily. Bears can chase down horses. There was a story here of a guy who killed a cougar with a knife. Now, guy + knife will get demolished by any bear.

The cougar could easily outrun the bear. Bears are fast, but cats are faster.

The cougar could never beat the bear in a fight, though. Cougars are mountain lions, they are small compared to real lions. A cougar weighs between 80-250 lbs. The grizzly weights up to 1500 lbs. The bear wouldn't even bother chasing it. All that work for such a small meal? It's better off eating a deer.

The fight would never happen. The cougar would run away from the bear, and the bear wouldn't bother chasing it.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: Excelsior
This is a waste of time.

and yet here you are, posting on a computer hardware analysis website's forum about how pointless it is to talk about something meaningless in the Off Topic section. Yer dumb.

Relax man, I never insulted you, so why insult me?

And I promise you, I am certainly not as dumb as you.

Not saying you are dumb or anything...but yeah.

Sorry, bit drunk last night. I was just messing around so no hard feelings.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

The cougar could easily outrun the bear. Bears are fast, but cats are faster.

The cougar could never beat the bear in a fight, though. Cougars are mountain lions, they are small compared to real lions. A cougar weighs between 80-250 lbs. The grizzly weights up to 1500 lbs. The bear wouldn't even bother chasing it. All that work for such a small meal? It's better off eating a deer.

The fight would never happen. The cougar would run away from the bear, and the bear wouldn't bother chasing it.

These are staged fights though...they have to happen.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Promethply
How asinine is this!

/I kid

BTW, a .338 Winchester Magnum caliber hunting rifle will bag you any type of bear -- they taste pretty good (pork-like).

Meanwhile, you want to use a 20mm Sniper rifle to kill that great white, and I'd be disappointed because its flesh taste pretty much like any other, well, fish :p

But only because the bullet must go thru water first. Take a shark out of its element, shoot it and look at it as it will die in minutes

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001

Looks like you haven't read "Winnetou" :p
If to kill a cougar a man armed with a knife is needed, to kill a bear is enough to have a frying pan :p

CtK

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
the shark would trick the polar bear with a Coke and then kill it while it was drinking!!

Promethply

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Calin

But only because the bullet must go thru water first. Take a shark out of its element, shoot it and look at it as it will die in minutes

LOL, you don't have to shoot the shark if you take it out of its element (as in shark-fishing), where it'll eventually die after being caught (it uses gills instead of lungs for respiration).

Skiddex

Golden Member
May 17, 2001
well this is obvoius. because polar bears are totally sweet and sharks suck, the polar bear wins hands down for three main reasons:

1) polar bears are mammals
2) polar bears fight ALL the time.
3) The purpose of the polar bear is to flip out and kill sharks.

/thread

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
First off, where is the fight taking place??? If the shark is in the North Pole, it's going to be freezing. Great Whites typically aren't found that far North and usually are in warmer waters. If the fight is that far North, the Polar Bear will kill the shark with no problems just because the shark will be a lot slower do to climate.

If it's in the warmer south, the shark has more of a chance, but probably wouldn't be able to bite through the bear's tough skin and extremely thick fur. Ultimately, I think the bear could grab the shark and pull it backwards as long as it's only 8-10 feet long. Any bigger and the bear's toast.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
More in south, the bear would be slower because of extreme overheating (polar bears are overheating even in the late polar autumn, as their winter fur is completely grown, but the weather is still warm)

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
Whoever strikes first would probably win.

If any of the bear's limps were bitten by the shark, it would result in substantial loss of flesh and blood. However, the shark is made of cartilage and could be seriously injured if it were struck by a bear claw. (The cartilage of the shark has been used as a con against the shark in dolphin vs shark debates.)

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
I still can't believe you guys are voting for the shark. It's a one trick pony! *stop* Bears are INCREDIBLY stong, are covered with layers of fat and fur, and have extremely power jaw with very long teeth. A bear can pretty much eat whatever the fvck it wants to, be it a tire, something metal, or rubbery shark skin.

I just don't think many of realize how massive a grizzly is. Think of it this way, a great white doesn't weigh much more than a grizzly if at all. And yet a girzzly has *gasp!* appendages tipped with huge claws.

EDIT: Another thing, a bear is muh more intelligent and doesn't have the inclination to swim away when it gets bumped on the nose. It's not strictly driven by primitive instinct like a shark; if it's threatened it will attack and become unbelievably ferocious. IT has a killer instinct.

Yongsta

Mar 6, 2005
Wasn't there a TV show about this subject, animals fighting? I think I remember seeing an episode Shark vs Alligator.