Who wins this EPIC battle between the old world and the new world?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Regular pepperoni versus the "old world' pepperoni on my super pepperoni pizza? The regular stuff is thin and flat. The old world stuff is thicker with the ends curled up and crispy. Which one you got? I must admit, I am kind of on the fence....

Picca.jpg

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't think one is really specifically "better" than the other, just different.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Regular pepperoni versus the "old world' pepperoni on my super pepperoni pizza? The regular stuff is thin and flat. The old world stuff is thicker with the ends curled up and crispy. Which one you got? I must admit, I am kind of on the fence....

View attachment 66058
That's called cup and char when it's done right, and it's far, far superior to gas station/cafeteria pepperoni.

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If you read the ingredients list on a lot of processed frozen anything you wouldn't take it for free.

The stuff many people eat on a daily basis is downright terrifying. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I tend to read the ingredients of everything I eat, I don't buy quite so much into the fear-mongering about "processed" food, but there are times when I'll make an adjustment. I just picked up a new bottle of sauce to try, and didn't bother reading the ingredients until after I got home. When I did I saw that it's got propylene glycol in it, and while I'm not going to throw out my current bottle, I don't think I'll be buying it again.

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah, I don't agree. Not that I'm a huge fan of Wild Mike's either, I will very occasionally buy one on sale, but I wouldn't take a DiGiorno for free.
I tried one a week ago because it was on clearance for 2.25 for a box. The bread was tasteless.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I tend to read the ingredients of everything I eat, I don't buy quite so much into the fear-mongering about "processed" food, but there are times when I'll make an adjustment. I just picked up a new bottle of sauce to try, and didn't bother reading the ingredients until after I got home. When I did I saw that it's got propylene glycol in it, and while I'm not going to throw out my current bottle, I don't think I'll be buying it again.

"Processed" covers a lot of ground .... for example organic whole-grain bread is "processed food" technically as is tofu. (maybe "manufactured" food is more precise?)

What I'm referring to is pure garbage-food like Wild Mikes pizza for example.

Go check out the ingredients/nutrition labels on most of the stuff in the Family Dollar/Dollar Tree or Walmart frozen food section and focus on the prepared stuff.... it's shocking.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"Processed" covers a lot of ground .... for example organic whole-grain bread is "processed food" technically as is tofu. (maybe "manufactured" food is more precise?)

What I'm referring to is pure garbage-food like Wild Mikes pizza for example.

Go check out the ingredients/nutrition labels on most of the stuff in the Family Dollar/Dollar Tree or Walmart frozen food section and focus on the prepared stuff.... it's shocking.
Doesn't seem too heinous to me? This is their pepperoni pizza ingredient list.

UNBLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR), WATER, CHEESE BLEND: LOW MOISTURE MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), PROVOLONE CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES, MAY ALSO CONTAIN NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR), ROMANO CHEESE FROM COW’S MILK (PASTEURIZED MILK, CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), PARMESAN CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART-SKIM COW’S MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), TOMATO PASTE, UNCURED PEPPERONI (PORK, BEEF, SEA SALT, MAY CONTAIN 2% OR LESS OF CANE SUGAR, DEXTROSE, CULTURED CELERY JUICE, CHERRY POWDER, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVORS AND COLOR (INCLUDING CELERY POWDER, MUSTARD, AND EXTRACTIVES AND/OR OLEORESIN OF PAPRIKA), WATER, LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVORING), SHORTENING FLAKES (PALM OIL, NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR, BETA-CAROTENE), CANOLA OIL, SUGAR, SALT, GARLIC, MALT (MALTED BARLEY, WHEAT FLOUR, DEXTROSE), YEAST, CORN STARCH, SPICES.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Doesn't seem too heinous to me? This is their pepperoni pizza ingredient list.

UNBLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR), WATER, CHEESE BLEND: LOW MOISTURE MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), PROVOLONE CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES, MAY ALSO CONTAIN NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR), ROMANO CHEESE FROM COW’S MILK (PASTEURIZED MILK, CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), PARMESAN CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART-SKIM COW’S MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), TOMATO PASTE, UNCURED PEPPERONI (PORK, BEEF, SEA SALT, MAY CONTAIN 2% OR LESS OF CANE SUGAR, DEXTROSE, CULTURED CELERY JUICE, CHERRY POWDER, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVORS AND COLOR (INCLUDING CELERY POWDER, MUSTARD, AND EXTRACTIVES AND/OR OLEORESIN OF PAPRIKA), WATER, LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVORING), SHORTENING FLAKES (PALM OIL, NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR, BETA-CAROTENE), CANOLA OIL, SUGAR, SALT, GARLIC, MALT (MALTED BARLEY, WHEAT FLOUR, DEXTROSE), YEAST, CORN STARCH, SPICES.

Actually that's a lot better then I was expecting in terms of artificial ingredients!

How's the nutrition label looking?

EDIT: 17-20g's protein per serving but loaded with saturated fat, sodium and empty carbs. (this is for 1/3 of the pie)

Interesting that water is the #2 ingredient in this pizza too.... o_O

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That's a fantastically cheap price for such a large pizza. I wonder how old they were.
Safeway was clearancing the items that don't sell. Plenty of competition in my area. They clearanced Santa Fe Organic Peanut Butter a month or two ago. The regular price($8+) at Safeway for that peanut butter was way above Whole Foods' pricing right now(~$6).

Didn't taste old or anything. Just bland. It was the four cheese.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Safeway was clearancing the items that don't sell. Plenty of competition in my area. They clearanced Santa Fe Organic Peanut Butter a month or two ago. The regular price($8+) at Safeway for that peanut butter was way above Whole Foods' pricing right now(~$6).

Didn't taste old or anything. Just bland. It was the four cheese.
Most freezer pizza is pretty bland, but Wild Mike's at least comes with a seasoning packet. I recall the sauce being better than DiGiorno sauce, which basically tastes the same as the "tomato sauce" in a can of Spaghetti-Os. I typically put some garlic peri-peri sauce on my frozen pizzas to jazz them up a bit.

They're $7.69 on sale at Safeway here at the moment, that's what made me think maybe those ones were pushing their expiry date or something, I've never seen clearances prices like you're talking about at the Safeways in this vicinity.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Actually that's a lot better then I was expecting in terms of artificial ingredients!

How's the nutrition label looking?

EDIT: 17-20g's protein per serving but loaded with saturated fat, sodium and empty carbs. (this is for 1/3 of the pie)

Interesting that water is the #2 ingredient in this pizza too.... o_O
They do brand themselves as having "no artificial anything"!
The only nutrition details I normally concern myself with are protein and total calories, seems to be working quite a treat for me health-wise, the only thing that's ever out of the "good" range is alkaline phosphate being just barely on the "low" side. I expect water might be #2 because it's in the dough, and probably more in the sauce?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
They do brand themselves as having "no artificial anything"!
The only nutrition details I normally concern myself with are protein and total calories, seems to be working quite a treat for me health-wise, the only thing that's ever out of the "good" range is alkaline phosphate being just barely on the "low" side. I expect water might be #2 because it's in the dough, and probably more in the sauce?

Maybe.... it could be the second ingredient on every frozen pizza for how often I've checked! (that's one food I never buy)

I'm majorly lactose-intolerant and nearly every frozen pie has cheese on it.

I never used to worry much about my diet either.... and I'm paying the price for it now! Good news is that in the words of my MD I'm "still young enough to turn things around" BUT it would be way better not to have too! If I'd modified my diet sooner it would be easier that's all I'm saying.

;)

I strongly suggest phasing out ALL added sugar and avoiding empty carbs at all costs BEFORE it becomes an issue not after. (like me!)

Last edited: