Who will I vote for a do nothing Democrat or President Trump

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
I'm tellin ya man, if you got an old laptop or spare pc, or even a VM (that's what I'm using right now). Pi hole filters out so much garbage. My android phone is the biggest culprit, even just browsing the google news feed reveals the sheer magnitude of garbage sites watching what you do. I just run pi hole on a ubuntu 18.04 server install. PM if you want more details

I have two old desktops but both are pretty power hungry for that.
Once things settle I’ll make a Microcenter run for a Pii I’m pretty interested in this project.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
Anyone else getting bombarded with #MAGA ads on AT?
I thought it might have to do with my browser history but AT is literally the only place I see these ads & baited surveys.

View attachment 18467
OP's topic makes no sense. Duh - the President is in power and should lead in this emergency. A Vice President who worked with a former President who dealt with former pandemics should be listened to for the simple reason an inexperienced person at the helm does not really know what to do. Biden is showing from past experience why the current President should be terminated from his job and he should be elected in his place. Remember - when electing a President - experience counts!

(I had to change the word experienced to inexperienced)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
OP's topic makes no sense. Duh - the President is in power and should lead in this emergency. A Vice President who worked with a former President who dealt with former pandemics should be listened to for the simple reason an experienced person at the helm does not really know what to do. Biden is showing from past experience why the current President should be terminated from his job and he should be elected in his place. Remember - when electing a President - experience counts!

Speaking of making no sense......wut?
How does what you typed relate to how I see weird MAGA ads on AT?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I'm tellin ya man, if you got an old laptop or spare pc, or even a VM (that's what I'm using right now). Pi hole filters out so much garbage. My android phone is the biggest culprit, even just browsing the google news feed reveals the sheer magnitude of garbage sites watching what you do. I just run pi hole on a ubuntu 18.04 server install. PM if you want more details

I now know what I'm doing on Wednesday when the Flirc case shows up for that 2nd unopened Pi 4 box thats sitting on my desk.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I read about this, how is the bandwidth? Does it slow stuff down?

It is just dns filtering. So non desired FQDN gets blocked from resolving into ip.

If anything it is faster cuz you are not loading ads and reporting to trackers

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
It is just dns filtering. So non desired FQDN gets blocked from resolving into ip.

If anything it is faster cuz you are not loading ads and reporting to trackers

Cool, I’m really thinking of a pi 4 simply because it’s the best value. I’m slightly concerned about needing active cooling but I’m a tech nerd. No way will I be happy buying a slower pi.....

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
pi-hole is just managing DNS requests, and filtering out garbage based on externally managed lists (provided by pi hole) it doesn't take a whole lot of power. you just have to point your router or clients at the pi-hole server IP (needs to be static set IP, either dhcp based on your MAC or just set it manually)

The initial install isn't bad, and setup was a breeze. management is thru a GUI. just gotta run it 24x7 (no sweat on a raspberry pi)

It's not handling switching or routing, just one service. although it can do dhcp if you want it to.

Browsing will likely feel faster from mobile devices using non-blocking browsers and apps, since pi-hole filters out much of the crud that comes with regular browsing.

I have no idea what this is because networking is like health care is to others :D

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
OP's topic makes no sense. Duh - the President is in power and should lead in this emergency. A Vice President who worked with a former President who dealt with former pandemics should be listened to for the simple reason an inexperienced person at the helm does not really know what to do. Biden is showing from past experience why the current President should be terminated from his job and he should be elected in his place. Remember - when electing a President - experience counts!

(I had to change the word experienced to inexperienced)

Wut?

Feb 4, 2009
I have no idea what this is because networking is like health care is to others :D

from what I understand with some help from @ch33zw1z. DNS server things block out certain ip addresses that are known to be ads or dangerous. Another machine on the network filters out those ip addresses and that blocks the ad.
One million foot view so I’m sure my explication is very basic.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
from what I understand with some help from @ch33zw1z. DNS server things block out certain ip addresses that are known to be ads or dangerous. Another machine on the network filters out those ip addresses and that blocks the ad.
One million foot view so I’m sure my explication is very basic.

That much I get. It's all that goes with it. How does it fit in with my Spectrum setup with a router and dsl modem? I can see the advantages and I briefly toyed with the most GUI friendly interfaces. Hell I once was fluent in Fortran and Basic before most people were born, but that might as well be horse and buggy.

This is <A> ----> <??????> ----> PROFIT!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That much I get. It's all that goes with it. How does it fit in with my Spectrum setup with a router and dsl modem? I can see the advantages and I briefly toyed with the most GUI friendly interfaces. Hell I once was fluent in Fortran and Basic before most people were born, but that might as well be horse and buggy.

Assuming you setup a pihole box, you will just point to that box as your dns server from your router.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
@ch33zw1z Does this look like the appropriate way to direct to a google wifi router?

Sure, that looks like what you would do for a Google WiFi device. Use the app, change the DNS servers. I would also take their suggestion of two DNS servers. In case the primary (pi hole server IP) is down, theres a backup server to look at. Otherwise, the internet will not function correctly. We rely entirely on DNS in our Internetting.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Assuming you setup a pihole box, you will just point to that box as your dns server from your router.

Pretty much. But I would suggest pointing a single device to test with before changing the entire network's DNS configuration. I used my desktop, just changed the DNS to the pi hole server IP, and watched it work on the pi hole web gui. so far i've left adblock plus disabled in firefox, and pi hole works just as well (if not better)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
How does Pi hole update?
Is it an auto update kind of thing or do you need to swap the sd card?

The blocking list is subscription that gets auto renewed. Program I assume sudo update. I don't run it myself, I am on pFBlockerNG in pFsense.