who was the last truly important person to die?

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
i'm not talking about b-list celebs or "the world's oldest human" who lately seems to be replaced every other week, but someone who was easily recognizable and contributed something significant to the world. only one i can think of is princess di, but i wasn't that affected by her death.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
I am fast approaching the 1 year aniversery of my grandfathers death.

I was at his side when he died.

That is the last time I "felt" that someone who was important to me had died

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Mother theresa
And more recently, Bob Hope - he put smiles on soldiers faces for decades.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Mother theresa And more recently, Bob Hope - he put smiles on soldiers faces for decades.

:eek: totally forgot about those two, you're right

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Theres talk that ronald reagan will replace FDR on the dime after he dies.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: coolred
Theres talk that ronald reagan will replace FDR on the dime after he dies.
Yeah Right, he would be better suited for a wooden nickel

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I also felt like saying mother theresa. When celebs die it doesn't really matter.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I can't think of a single person, no matter who dies life still goes on as usual.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
My cousin died this year. She was a truly important person to her family, friends, and loved ones.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Tupac... resurrection...

Soldiers at war. Whatever happened to machines fighting for us? Stupid human errors killing our own troops.

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: dcdomain
Tupac... resurrection...

Soldiers at war. Whatever happened to machines fighting for us? Stupid human errors killing our own troops.

I think a good portion of the deaths in Iraq are helicopters crashing

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: TheShiz
Carl Sagan (watch "Cosmos", if you have not seen it already)

There are important people but as sagan put it, no one of us is any more that a fraction of a blue dot in this universe.
---------------------------------
"But for us, it's different. Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves." - Pale Blue Dot