Who wants 4x normal BOINC credit?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Of course, it's not as easy as just attaching to a BOINC project! This is old-skool manual distributed computing. First, you need one or more fast machines, preferably quad-cores. Edit: A 64-bit OS is better, but John says 32-bit is OK too. They also need at least 2GB of RAM (unless you want to work even harder at this.)

Next, go to the PrimeGrid message board and PM either Project Scientist John or Lennart. Tell them you want to join the PPSE (Proth Prime Search Extended) sieve. They'll send you a link to another board where you sign up, download the app and the 1GB+ data file, sign up for a range, and start crunching!

If you're wondering how all this came about...well, it's sort of my fault. I joined the project less than a week ago, but once I started I noticed how the work was similar to the Twin Prime Search Sieve I'd worked on a couple of months back. So I tried reworking that application for this sieve (yes, that is the app, on my site), and it turned out to run six times as fast as what they'd been using! Well, this threw the manual BOINC credit they were giving for the sieve completely out of whack. Initially I thought they'd renormalize it quickly, but they began by not changing it at all, and (Edit:) now for the next 20 trillion P's they're ratcheting it down to 4x normal.

So get your work while it's hot - this is a limited-time offer! :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
This sounds very interesting. You write: "64-bit OS". I assume that includes not only the 64-bit windows versions but also Linux of different flavours?

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Yep, I'm typing this from a 64-bit Ubuntu system. There are instructions around the PrimeGrid site for dual-booting with Wubi.

(Technically, if you're stuck with it, a 32-bit system is 75% as good as a 64-bit system, but 64-bits is definitely better.)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for the info. Well this sounds good. I may give it try ... if I get the time this wek end to set things up.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Ken g6
...download the app and the 1GB+ data file, sign up for a range, and start crunching!
:shocked:
I guess that leaves me out.

Thanks for the info though.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Spacehead
Originally posted by: Ken g6
...download the app and the 1GB+ data file, sign up for a range, and start crunching!
:shocked:

Thanks for the info though.
:( It's only 1/4GB 7-zipped. You could try wget with the -c option over a period of time. It would only take 14 hours or so on dial-up. :p

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Spacehead
Why?

Even if you lack a unmetered/broadband connection yourself you could always have a friend for example download it for you and then transfer it over to your PC on a flash memory stick or such.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Bump! :thumbsup:

The 5x credit work is almost half-taken! :Q Don't get left behind!