Who uses plastic supporters (in addition to metal standoffs) when installing a motherboard, and how?

AL77

Apr 11, 2000
When I recently built a system based around the Asus p3v4x, I noticed that there was no place on the case (Antec KS-282) to install plastic spacers/supporters (those plastic pieces that stretch/spring out in a square hole on the case) to correspond with the non-standoff (i.e. in the middle, near places of stress) holes on the mboard, nor were any plastic supports included with the case. There were only the holes pre-cut in the case to install the usual metal/brass standoffs used to screw in the mboard. I used 3 standoffs on either side of the mboard for a total of 6.

Now, I noticed when I was installing various pci cards, there was a little flex in the board. Also, when inserting the IDE cables on the board, which is of course a tight fit, there was a little more flex then what I'd like to see. I recall reading somewhere that too much pressure on the mboard can damage the connections (data paths?).

Although the initial cpu and memory modules can be installed outside the case, if I were to add more memory and replace the cpu in the future, this would definitely put stress on the board in the middle as the standoffs are affixed on the edges. I note this because the CPU and memory were very tight fits into their respective slots, and if I should upgrade (note slot 1), would it be wise to take the mboard out of the case first? What do you guys do?

My old Micron P166 came with many plastic supporters that would support the mboard in areas of stress in addition to the usual metal standoffs. It is somewhat peculiar that older cases had these supports and new cases do not, as a Pentium was a ZIF socket chip, and SIMM's weren't installed using the straight-down force of DIMM's.

How important is it to utilize the plastic supporters in order to better support the board when installing memory/cpu, etc? Are these even used anymore (as the case in question only had metal standoff cutouts)?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, especially those of you that build systems on a regular basis, or for a living. Do you use these plastic supports? Are the mboards of today susceptible to damage from mild flexing or was this a problem of the past? Am I being overly paranoid? :)

Regards and thanks,
Al

Edit: changed some things

veryape

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
My recent case came with those standoffs and i recently took a defective motherboard back and accidentally left the standoffs on the board. My new motherboard is the Aopen AK72 which is huge and i don't have the standoffs and have installed and removed many parts and do not like that flexing you are talking about. That could break traces i believe. If i can get my hands on some i am going to put them in as soon as possible as this does not feel safe. I suggest the same for you. I'm not trying to scare ytou but i have been worried about this for two months myself.

AL77

Apr 11, 2000
Thanks for the response veryape. Anyone else have any comments (especially system builders)?

Gunner

Nov 18, 1999
I always try to put standoffs if holes are available in the mouunting bracket and plastic (nylon) supporters if not; the more the better, but a good board will take a lot of flex/stress movement with no problems as long as you don't try severely bending the thing.

The normal flexing of card, memory chip and cable insertion I wouldn't be concerned with. Just be sure they are aligned properly with the sockets/slots before applying downward pressure. Use caution of course, but the boards, traces and component connections are far tougher than you think.

Radarman

Oct 10, 1999
I have built up about 5 systems now, with out any problems encountered. I always use the plastic supporters in all motherboard holes provided for them, I also use the little red insulating washers under the motherboard mounting screws. Ron ( Radarman )

RentaCow

Oct 10, 1999
Don't worry about the flexing. That's perfectly normal and within design parameters (assuming you installed all the standoffs that had provisions for installation).

I've been working with PCB's all my life (and recently have a job in the EE field), and I've never had any problems at all with minor flexing (like the ones you describe).

Gunner is absolutely correct. PCB's are virtually invincible, allot tougher than you think. Also most people think water hurts electronic components. That isn't entirely correct. Most components are built so that you can wash them in a regular dishwasher (meant for dishes) without harm (in fact that is one of the step in PCB soldering and assembly), besides the obvious exceptions such as CMOS backup batteries and things. Make sure the water is de-ionized though (since inpure water will leave conductive salts/corrosives on the board).