Who the hell is Nancy Pelosi the pepsi woman to criticize about China's policies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Qianglong
So lets see, if you are in USA you start to burn, loot and beat up people on the street in the name of protest, independance, you shall be deemed as a worthy hero?

So the same mobs in tibet gets the backing from that woman called nancy pelosi? I guess she has no better things to do than talk rubbish?

You do not help your case by making poor claims like this.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
China is Evil. We should quit all trading with China. We would be better off with factories in Mexico.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: piasabird
China is Evil. We should quit all trading with China. We would be better off with factories in Mexico.

China is no more evil than the US was evil in their past history.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
We are all the same, all bent on claiming how different and superior we are.

Exactly. What the US is doing in guantanamo is as bad as what the Germans did in WWII. Human experimentation, torture, and mass genocide are equivolent to isolation without lawyers. Relativism ftl. Some things actually are worse than others. China != Germany, but it's not the US by a long shot either.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Exactly. What the US is doing in guantanamo is as bad as what the Germans did in WWII. Human experimentation, torture, and mass genocide are equivolent to isolation without lawyers. Relativism ftl. Some things actually are worse than others. China != Germany, but it's not the US by a long shot either.

Can you honestly say that the US didn't commit mass genocide, human experimentation, etc. throughout its history? Just because there were less ways of protesting against it in the past doesn't absolve much of the darker history of the US.

I'm not saying that China is good by an means but I do feel that many countries are getting a free pass for atrocities of their past that were deemed "necessary" for their respective advancements.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk

A little bit off with regards to scale there with your comparison.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Craig234

It's interesting to see nationalism on the rise in China,

the chinese have been nationalist for centuries.

it really hit me just how nationalist the average person might be in china when talking to a girl from shanghai. i made a statement along the lines of 'china can't keep up double digit economic growth forever,' and she tore into me like she was personally insulted.

I was listening to an interview with a leading person who fights for freeing political detainees in China, and he said what has him most worried today is the rise of nationalism.

I think it's largely just a symptom of increasing power, the 'power tends to corrupt' maxim. The US was once humble and respectful of others in a way that's unrecognizable today, too.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
I was listening to an interview with a leading person who fights for freeing political detainees in China, and he said what has him most worried today is the rise of nationalism.

I think it's largely just a symptom of increasing power, the 'power tends to corrupt' maxim. The US was once humble and respectful of others in a way that's unrecognizable today, too.

Nationalism seems to be a double edged sword. There are varying examples of it being beneficial and detrimental. I'd say Japanese nationalism in the modern era has helped them become the country that it is today where there's a strong tie between working hard and pride for the country. There are plenty of bad examples out there too.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The myth of Chinese nationalism is somewhat a myth. All the rapid growth in China has come at a huge social and environmental costs kept bottle up by a dictatorial government. Because Tibet is so small, it has no mainland support.
But sooner or later, the Chinese people and their government will come into opposition.

But in foreign terms, the end of the Singapore lease was domestically very popular as one of the few issues that united the nation. With rising Chinese economic power, its inevitable that world and regional power will follow. And while the national game of America is somewhat football, the national game there is more in the way of go, and in go, power can be as well asserted by surrounding.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Lemon law
But in foreign terms, the end of the Singapore lease was domestically very popular as one of the few issues that united the nation. With rising Chinese economic power, its inevitable that world and regional power will follow. And while the national game of America is somewhat football, the national game there is more in the way of go, and in go, power can be as well asserted by surrounding.

whats that? :confused: