'Who the hell cares about the budget?': Trump tears into critics of mounting federal spending and debt under his watch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well. If the reports out of Davos are accurate Trump has decided to consider cutting social spending in his second term.

"Tax cuts for me and ss/medical cuts plus a huge deficit for thee" does have a certain ring to it.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well. If the reports out of Davos are accurate Trump has decided to consider cutting social spending in his second term.

"Tax cuts for me and ss/medical cuts plus a huge deficit for thee" does have a certain ring to it.

I’m genuinely unsure as to why people take things Trump says as being at all indicative of what he is planning on doing or even what he is considering doing.

Reactions: Pohemi

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I’m genuinely unsure as to why people take things Trump says as being at all indicative of what he is planning on doing or even what he is considering doing.

Well a competent person would have sidestepped that question rather than handing out ammunition for the Dem field to use on him instead of letting them focus on each other.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We poked our heads out a bit for the Tea Party, saw how that worked out, and went back into hiding.

But when has it not been when Republicans are in office for the last 40 years? Actually I will admit that under GHWB they actually attempted some fiscal conservatism but then clearly decided they like the Reagan model of blowing up the deficit better.

Generally speaking though it's totally obvious that Republicans don't care about fiscal conservatism. If someone's a true fiscal conservative then the best case scenario for them is a Democratic president with a Republican Congress forever. Then you'll see some fiscal conservatism - not because Republicans believe in it but because they think it would be to their political advantage to sabotage the Democratic president.

Reactions: Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is on audio? Sounds like another perfect soundbite for a dem ad this year. Trump in 2016: "I'll balance the budget!" Trump in 2020: "Who cares about the budget." I'm dead serious. We need to have a whole series of these.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
This is on audio? Sounds like another perfect soundbite for a dem ad this year. Trump in 2016: "I'll balance the budget!" Trump in 2020: "Who cares about the budget." I'm dead serious. We need to have a whole series of these.
Yep, keep them simple so the general public can understand, that's how the Repubs do it.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
But when has it not been when Republicans are in office for the last 40 years? Actually I will admit that under GHWB they actually attempted some fiscal conservatism but then clearly decided they like the Reagan model of blowing up the deficit better.

Generally speaking though it's totally obvious that Republicans don't care about fiscal conservatism. If someone's a true fiscal conservative then the best case scenario for them is a Democratic president with a Republican Congress forever. Then you'll see some fiscal conservatism - not because Republicans believe in it but because they think it would be to their political advantage to sabotage the Democratic president.

That's pretty much the point that I was trying to make. Neither party cares one bit about the deficit. I may have to vote blue this election just hoping that we do get the scenario you describe.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yep, keep them simple so the general public can understand, that's how the Repubs do it.

Yes, exactly, but with one crucial difference. These ads will not be misleading because Trump and members of the GOP do actually lie, and constantly. The point that is being made to voters is correct and crucial. It's time that voters learn that they can't trust the republican party, that every time a republican opens his or her mouth there is good reason to distrust what they say.

We can't win debating policy because they always lie about the effect of dem policies and their arguments are simpler and easier to digest than the arguments defending the policy. So we need to go after the core issue, which is just that they don't tell the truth. Once voters are primed to distrust them, then the policy argument can be made, and when they lie about the policy, the dem candidate can just say, see, he's lying about this just like he always does, and the voters will understand.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It's funny that people believed that Trump, of all people, would willingly pay off debt.
Now that statement is comedy Gold! The powers that be on these forums should automatically give you 100 likes!! One question for Donny hows the national debt payoff going?? lol

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Everyone on this forum knows that when things are going good with your employment you make your payments and then some extra to pay down the principle (debt). If you know that is true then why wouldn't you pay down the national debt while the economy is good and why wouldn't you expect it from your elected officials?

Holy crap I sound like a republican.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's pretty much the point that I was trying to make. Neither party cares one bit about the deficit. I may have to vote blue this election just hoping that we do get the scenario you describe.

Both sides bullshit. The GOP cuts taxes for the Rich, borrows the money to make up the difference from the Rich, and pays them interest forever. It's called winning at class warfare & owning the government of the people.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Both sides bullshit. The GOP cuts taxes for the Rich, borrows the money to make up the difference from the Rich, and pays them interest forever. It's called winning at class warfare & owning the government of the people.

It would be really interesting to see how many times you've said "both sides". :)

I'll admit that in recent times the left has been a more fiscally responsible party. That doesn't mean that they are fiscally responsible. Balancing a budget hasn't been a priority for anyone recently...

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It would be really interesting to see how many times you've said "both sides". :)

I'll admit that in recent times the left has been a more fiscally responsible party. That doesn't mean that they are fiscally responsible. Balancing a budget hasn't been a priority for anyone recently...
The liberals can't be fiscally responsible because you've believed they can't be fiscally responsible your whole life and if it turned out that they can be fiscally responsible well then won't you look silly.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Yes, exactly, but with one crucial difference. These ads will not be misleading because Trump and members of the GOP do actually lie, and constantly. The point that is being made to voters is correct and crucial. It's time that voters learn that they can't trust the republican party, that every time a republican opens his or her mouth there is good reason to distrust what they say.

We can't win debating policy because they always lie about the effect of dem policies and their arguments are simpler and easier to digest than the arguments defending the policy. So we need to go after the core issue, which is just that they don't tell the truth. Once voters are primed to distrust them, then the policy argument can be made, and when they lie about the policy, the dem candidate can just say, see, he's lying about this just like he always does, and the voters will understand.

This is absolutely true. Democrats can't win by talking about policy alone instead they should start to hammer on the Republicans lies. Start to run adds that simply show what the Republican candidate said and compare it to what they did. Hammer as many examples of it as possible. Keep on them for their lies. At every chance talk about how Republicans are not trustworthy because they don't even try to keep their word. Make banners that says 'Who paid for the wall?', 'Is the National debt paid off yet?', 'Do we have congressional Terms limits yet?', and 'How is that better Iran deal going?', 'Is Hillary behind bars yet?' When it comes to Trump this should be easy pickings, you can take just about anything he said and show people he lied to them.