Who teaches sales people these tactics?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Our house is on a cul-de-sac and I like to sit out on the front porch when I get home to unwind, listen to the radio while reading the newspaper and drinking a Coke or a beer. Yesterday right after my wife arrived home from work and was standing on the porch talking to me an ADT van pulls into the circle and this guy gets out with a sign and some literature. He might as well have had Salesman in neon over his head. He stands at the end of my driveway asking permission to come up and I said no not interested thanks. He then says "I'm not selling anything". I hear this all the time be it this guy or the idiots that call on the phone. This particular guys idea of not selling something was the fact that ADT will install all the equipment "free". Of course once this stuff is installed there is a $30.00 per month monitoring fee. The guy was amiable enough to take my good natured ribbing about the fact that he was in fact selling something, the something being the monitoring service where ADT obviously makes all their money. I can only assume that some people are dumb enough to fall for this stuff or the sales guys would not do it. This guy at least was good enough to recognize a firm no and content to leave us with some brochures as he headed off to "not sell something" to our neighbors.

Donuts

Mar 22, 2000
You did very well keeping your temper, I would have fired a warning shot. I know they need to make a living but I hate that crap!

RDMustang1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2001
my friend is a sales-guy... he tries to throw his pitch at me every once in a while.. I just throw him out :)