Who started world war I?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Hitler started the second one, who started the first one? What was it all about? Can someone just sort of generalise and simplify what happened?

I looked at the wikipedia article but its pretty in depth, i just need a generalisation. Was it the "kaiser"? Someone told me the "kaiser" started it, who was that?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: michaelsslave
franz ferdinand didnt start it, the guy who killed franz did

It was more than just the killing of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. That was more of the spark that blew up the powder keg.

Oct 4, 2004
It says right there on the Wiki page in the sidebar:

Casus belli - Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand (28 June) followed by Austrian declaration of war on Serbia (28 July) and Russian mobilisation against Austria-Hungary (29 July).

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: OdiN

It was more than just the killing of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. That was more of the spark that blew up the powder keg.

correct, nations that already hated each other lined up on other sides while it just started with two small countries all of a sudden everyone is involved.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand which led to Austria declaring war on Serbia. Russia then declared war on Austria-Hungary...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

He did so. If he'd decided to take a sick day or something, the whole thing could have been averted! But noooo, he had to go and get shot and die. Jerk.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand is what set it off, but really I think they were all just looking for an excuse to fight.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

He did so. If he'd decided to take a sick day or something, the whole thing could have been averted! But noooo, he had to go and get shot and die. Jerk.

damn him! he should have rolled a 20 for dodge(err or smething).

anyway sounds like a crappy homework question.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Someone got shot, then loads of people got shot, then the mighty English stepped in and sorted things out. The End.