Who should pay the medical bills of the Movie Theater victims?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Life's not fair, sh!t happens. If anyone doesn't have insurance, that's the choice they made to gamble with their life and lost the bet.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Life's not fair, sh!t happens. If anyone doesn't have insurance, that's the choice they made to gamble with their life and lost the bet.

Again, if your employer doesn't provide it you can't buy it, it unaffordable for most.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
It doesn't matter. If lightning struck the theater and it caught fire and someone got hurt, the insurance would cover it. That's not to say the theater caused the lightning or necessarily could have prevented the fire. That's what insurance is for.

In fact, if the theater's gross negligence caused an injury/death, I don't believe their insurance would cover anything. (I could be wrong)

Most CGLs cover negligence, gross negligence, and recklessness.

They, as well as almost all other forms of insurance, do not cover intentional acts.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

And premise liability insurance/cases are just costs of doing business especially for places that cater to large crowds.

Hell, I'll go there; American Airlines and United were not the cause of 9/11. They weren't anymore negligent than the movie theater in this case. Their insurers and the federal govt paid out BILLIONS(total sum is still TBD because there are still hundreds of suits, most currently stayed because of AMR's bankruptcy filing). Shit insurers and re-insurers are still fighting it out between themselves as well. What we have today in insurance law is very much shaped by 9/11(and hurricane Katrina to a lesser extent).

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
So true.

Life sucks, the families should pay for the bills. Anyone who WANTS to donate should, those who dont shouldnt be forced to. Because of my vision I have to get a pair of 2500$ glasses just to drive, guess who will be paying that for me???/ MYSELF and my family, shit happens and its not fair, but it still happens and you need to deal with it.

You're right. Unless someone poured acid into your eyes and that screwed up your vision. Then they should pay, should they not?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
They should have their own. Stop sticking your hand out for help all the time, and suck it up.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I don't think this is entitlement talking. It's a reasonable question. If you were crossing the street and a driver hit you and broke your leg, would you not expect him to pay? If he couldn't pay personally, then wouldn't you expect his insurance to pay?

Situation's the same here, just that the means of assault is changed.

Unless he is destitute and still has his lease vehicle, then you can sue and win against the lease company.

It's called vicarious liability and until the laws were changed in 2005 ambulance chasing lawyers would justify it.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20110928/FINANCE_AND_INSURANCE/110929904

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
And premise liability cases are just a cost of doing business especially for places that cater to large crowds.

American Airlines and United were not the cause of 9/11. They werent anymore negligent than the movie theater in this case. Their insurers and the federal govt paid out BILLIONS.

I was actually thinking of that, and it's a possibility the theater's insurance will have to pay. Not necessarily all of the costs, but some. I find it negligent on their part that an emergency exit didn't sound an alarm when it was used, which would have alerted people that something wasn't right.

Nonetheless, I don't buy the whole emotional appeal to pity, that somehow these victims are entitled to compensation when it was their choice to not get insured.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I was actually thinking of that, and it's a possibility the theater's insurance will have to pay. Not necessarily all of the costs, but some. I find it negligent on their part that an emergency exit didn't sound an alarm when it was used, which would have alerted people that something wasn't right.

Nonetheless, I don't buy the whole emotional appeal to pity, that somehow these victims are entitled to compensation when it was their choice to not get insured.

No the insurance company is going to pay its maximum. Cinemark will be tied up in litgation for a decade, if they don't settle the rest. Everyone in that theater has a valid claim, doesn't matter if they don't have insurance. I say everyone, and not just the injured because Colorado recognizes negligent infliction of emotional distress. The NIED claims won't get much, but they will get some and they all have are valid claims.

And guess what, people with medical insurance will have to pay back their medical insurance providers when they recover. You recover for injuries and your medical insurance picked up the tab, they are entitled to what they paid out when you recover.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Saw there were pages to donate, plan on donating at least 20 to a few of them.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
That wasn't the question. You claim individual insurance is unaffordable to most. A quick glance online tells me individual insurance ranges from $250-450 a month. You're trying to say that's unaffordable?

Link or gtfo

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you operate a business you are liable for people at the business. If your business makes money off of the people then it is your responsibility to insure their safety while they are there. There may be some limits to liability. For instance if you are at a baseball game and get hit by a baseball that may not be covered because that is an expected occurrance. However, it is reasonable to expect a theater designed to hold hundreds of people should insure their safety. If the theater is designed in such a way that there is no security on the exits, then maybe that is the responsibility of the owners. The owners are making a lot of money off of placing a large crowd in a small space so they should also provide some security and a way for people in the theater to exit as quickly as possible. I have been to many theaters where the only way to exit is to go down by the screen, turn around and exit on the sides up a ramp to the front. So often the only way to exit is to go past the shooter. This is a safety flaw and subject to liability.

Compare this to a car. If the car can suddenly burst into flame or the throttle sticks and kills everyone in the care the seller/Manufacturer has liability.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Compare this to a car. If the car can suddenly burst into flame or the throttle sticks and kills everyone in the care the seller/Manufacturer has liability.

this is not the same at all.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
Originally Posted by piasabird

this is not the same at all.

The theatre didn't malfunction, resulting in death. It was an non-connected third party.

Last edited:

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005

I could report this post, but I won't. Maybe once you grow up a little, you'll realize that you're not as special as you think. You're not entitled to shit just because you feel like it. Nobody owes you a damn thing just because your life didn't turn out as well as someone else's. Get used to it.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I could report this post, but I won't. Maybe once you grow up a little, you'll realize that you're not as special as you think. You're not entitled to shit just because you feel like it. Nobody owes you a damn thing just because your life didn't turn out as well as someone else's. Get used to it.

One day you will be homeless and you will wonder why no one wants to help you.