Who should pay the medical bills of the Movie Theater victims?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
The NRA. With the amount they spend via lobbyists each year, they can easily afford it. And their lobbying was the means for the lunatic to amass his small arsenal.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I hope that

1. the gun companies
2. the Holmes family
3. the gun retailers

pony up a significant amount.

It would be a real shame if it ends up that George Zimmerman gets more donations than these innocent victims.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
This is why I like our Canadian system. A big tragedy happens, or an epidemic, or any other health issue, and at least money is the last thing to worry about. If I end up in the hospital with cancer, I only have to worry about the fact that I have cancer, which is a burdon on it's own. I don't have to worry about where am I going to get the 500k it will cost to do the treatments.

No lawsuits, no selling the house.
fixed

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I hope that

1. the gun companies

2. the Holmes family

3. the gun retailers

pony up a significant amount.

It would be a real shame if it ends up that George Zimmerman gets more donations than these innocent victims.

You're view as to who exactly is responsible for the actions of James Holmes are no doubt fueled by your own political bias.

1. Gun companies are not responsible for the actions of James Holmes anymore so then a car company who manufacturers a car used as a deadly weapon by a crazy person.

2. He is grown man (24) who acted on his own. His parents have no legal responsibility for his actions.

3. 404 - No responsibility found. Gun retailers have no responsibility for the actions of James Holmes any more then a car dealership is responsible for drunk drivers.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Honestly? The victims should pay for their own medical care. I know this isn't a popular attitude, but still.
I have the same core belief, but the more time I spend on political boards the more convinced I become that we have become far too stupid to be responsible for our own health care.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
This is why I like our Canadian system. A big tragedy happens, or an epidemic, or any other health issue, and at least money is the last thing to worry about. If I end up in the hospital with cancer, I only have to worry about the fact that I have cancer, which is a burdon on it's own. I don't have to worry about where am I going to get the 50k it will cost to do the treatments.

No lawsuits, no selling the house.

But if the US had the Canadian system, Breaking Bad would not exist now would it? :colbert:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Young people don't need health insurance and are being forced to subsidize the sick folks.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
It is amazing how little people care about the misfortunes of others. I am truly disgusted by some of the folks in this thread.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Make the theater pay. It is their lack of security that caused the problem. It was opening night. They should have had some kind of security.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The OP's question is a great example of how screwed up this country has become.

You should pay for it. Through your insurance, or out of your pocket. Feel free to sue the perpetrator if you like trying to squeeze water out of a rock. I'm sure some ambulance chasing lawyers are already filing wrongful death suits against the theater. I hope the judge throws them all out and they lose all their money doing so.

Christ, the entitlement mentality in this country is out of control.

This isn't an "entitlement mentality". People have been severely injured and will incur great costs due to no fault of their own. It is not "entitlement mentality" to expect not to be financially fucked when someone else fucks you over, especially when it is done intentionally.

ChunkiMunki

Dec 21, 2001
I wish conservatives would just introduce legislation banning hospitals from treating anyone WITHOUT health insurance. No card? No treatment. They all believe this, why the obfuscation? They want to repeal Obamacare and replace it with nothing, so insurance subscribers will go back to subsidizing everyone else, until it becomes such a financial burden no one will have insurance.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This isn't an "entitlement mentality". People have been severely injured and will incur great costs due to no fault of their own. It is not "entitlement mentality" to expect not to be financially fucked when someone else fucks you over, especially when it is done intentionally.
Sounds great. Who should pay then? I doubt sideshow bob has millions to cover the costs.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

So what if one of these victims got into a severe accident by a driver with no insurance (the uninsured drive intentionally made the decision to not buy insurance, right)?

Who should pay the victim's hospital bills then???

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Make the theater pay. It is their lack of security that caused the problem. It was opening night. They should have had some kind of security.

Yeah, an unarmed rent a cop would make everyone feel much safer...especially against someone with 2 handguns, shot gun and an AR15...

or should every theater in America had a SWAT unit present???

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, an unarmed rent a cop would make everyone feel much safer...especially against someone with 2 handguns, shot gun and an AR15...

or should every theater in America had a SWAT unit present???
Don't mind him, he's a fucking retard.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Why? How are they at fault?

It doesn't matter. If lightning struck the theater and it caught fire and someone got hurt, the insurance would cover it. That's not to say the theater caused the lightning or necessarily could have prevented the fire. That's what insurance is for.

In fact, if the theater's gross negligence caused an injury/death, I don't believe their insurance would cover anything. (I could be wrong)

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
[liberals]Taxpayers.[/liberals]

So true.

Life sucks, the families should pay for the bills. Anyone who WANTS to donate should, those who dont shouldnt be forced to. Because of my vision I have to get a pair of 2500$ glasses just to drive, guess who will be paying that for me???/ MYSELF and my family, shit happens and its not fair, but it still happens and you need to deal with it.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
We all wind up paying for it that live in the United States. When someone visits the hospital and isn't able to pay and the Hospital doesn't get reimbursed from the government then the hospital has to charge more to everyone else's insurance costs to make up for the bad debt. The hospital is required by law to treat the person regardless of there ability to pay by Federal law. So we all pay for the costs.

I don't get all the screaming about the evils of socialized medicine. Everyone is essentially already covered. It is just that some people get screwed by medical debt and then have to file bankruptcy. It has been suggested that upwards of 60% of bankruptcy filings are for medical debt. A got % of Americans are essentially already on Government healthcare when they get older and go on Medi-care. People are worried about socialized medicine covering illegal immigrants. Well I got bad news we already pay for illegal immigrant health care in icreased medical costs. Why not do some type of Government run health care and make sure everyone is covered more efficiently?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The Theater's General Commercial Liability policy is going to pay out up to its maximum coverage. I don't know why y'all think it won't/shouldn't.

They all have claims against the theater that would get past summary judgement. You never know what a jury will do but I can tell you right now that most juries would be sympathetic to plaintifss in a case like this. Do you think the insurance company is going to litigate 70-200 claims? No they are going settle as many as they can and pay out up their policy coverage limits which isn't going to cover everyone claims because one person already has $2million in medical bills and will probably have close to $20million or more by time all is said and done.

Last edited: