Who should pay the medical bills of the Movie Theater victims?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I don't think this is entitlement talking. It's a reasonable question. If you were crossing the street and a driver hit you and broke your leg, would you not expect him to pay? If he couldn't pay personally, then wouldn't you expect his insurance to pay?

Situation's the same here, just that the means of assault is changed.

Yes, except people are claiming that theaters/movie studio/whatever should pay. People that had zero involvement in the matter.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I don't think this is entitlement talking. It's a reasonable question. If you were crossing the street and a driver hit you and broke your leg, would you not expect him to pay? If he couldn't pay personally, then wouldn't you expect his insurance to pay?

No. You should insure yourself against injury just like you insure your house against damage. You want insurance? Buy it, and then you have it. Or at least that's how it should be.

MrMuppet

Jun 26, 2012

There is a difference actually. Drivers hitting people with their cars tend not to do so deliberately. This clearly was deliberate.

If you wreck something deliberately (say shoot bullets through the engine of your car), you can't expect your insurance to cover it.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Yes, except people are claiming that theaters/movie studio/whatever should pay. People that had zero involvement in the matter.

Yeah I agree that asking any of those parties to pay is idiotic.

No. You should insure yourself against injury just like you insure your house against damage. You want insurance? Buy it, and then you have it. Or at least that's how it should be.

Interesting. I generally agree with that sentiment except for situations wherein phisycal trauma is caused (whether intentionally or not) directly by someone who is clearly at fault. Then they should pony up.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Some of them have insurance - there'll probably be a lot of donations etc for the ones without insurance - but that's not fair to the victims who have insurance Insurance doesn't pay everything.

Feel bad for all of them, but it's a tough situation all around.

With the amount of taxes you guys pay, health care should be free for all

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
What does this even mean? He either pays it or he doesn't. "Within reason?" Five dozen people injured. That's millions of dollars. He should pay all of it? There is no "within reason" here. A person probably earns 1-2 million in their life. So would within reason mean he pays like $100k? He doesn't have that. Sorry to go grammar police on you but you can't just throw out cliches and sayings just because you heard it somewhere. In this case, it doesn't make any sense.

Take him for all he is worth, sell everything he personally owns (minus debt and whatnot), then kill him. Of course, all that should also be less any other financial responsibilities, so that any dependents and whatnot are not negatively impacted.

Whatever is not covered by that, settle with theater insurance, then the rest probably to government and/or any medical center/insurance group/non-profit that wishes to add to the pot.

Someone of his status, after all is said and done might only be 20k? Take it, off him, and be done with it all.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
The OP's question is a great example of how screwed up this country has become.

You should pay for it. Through your insurance, or out of your pocket. Feel free to sue the perpetrator if you like trying to squeeze water out of a rock. I'm sure some ambulance chasing lawyers are already filing wrongful death suits against the theater. I hope the judge throws them all out and they lose all their money doing so.

Christ, the entitlement mentality in this country is out of control.

You know what? If your freaking President didn't completely shit up this economy, then maybe people could afford to pay for insurance, and not have to get shot to get some money to make a living.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is why I like our Canadian system. A big tragedy happens, or an epidemic, or any other health issue, and at least money is the last thing to worry about. If I end up in the hospital with cancer, I only have to worry about the fact that I have cancer, which is a burdon on it's own. I don't have to worry about where am I going to get the 50k it will cost to do the treatments.

No lawsuits, no selling the house.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The movie theater will probably get sued for this. If they did a better job securing the theater, this might not have happened.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007

And if no one can pay, you're shit out of luck. It sucks, but sometimes that's how life is. We have to suck it up and truck on, waah. God I can't wait to die so I can do so quietly and in peace.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

You're getting into the realm that people should take responsibility for OTHER people's action....strongly disagree here.

As far as paying for the bills, if you can't do it, simply file bankruptcy and that's that. One of the few exceptions that I would not say anything about bankruptcy (I think you should pay for the bills that you create). These people were not responsible for what happened to them.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
You're getting into the realm that people should take responsibility for OTHER people's action....strongly disagree here.

As far as paying for the bills, if you can't do it, simply file bankruptcy and that's that. One of the few exceptions that I would not say anything about bankruptcy (I think you should pay for the bills that you create). These people were not responsible for what happened to them.

You should take responsibility for yourself. That's all. You possess a body which is subject to damage. If you value it you will take the necessary measures to protect it. That's not to say that your insurance company shouldn't have the right to attempt to recoup their payout from the person responsible. Just that your personal responsibility for yourself comes first.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You should take responsibility for yourself. That's all. You possess a body which is subject to damage. If you value it you will take the necessary measures to protect it. That's not to say that your insurance company shouldn't have the right to attempt to recoup their payout from the person responsible. Just that your personal responsibility for yourself comes first.

and those who can't afford insurance and are injured from someone else? Why should the person who was responsible for the damage not be liable?

Again, making yourself responsible for other's actions I strongly disagree with.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Same people who pay for anybody else needing medical care, no reason they should get special treatment to be honest.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
and those who can't afford insurance and are injured from someone else? Why should the person who was responsible for the damage not be liable?

Again, making yourself responsible for other's actions I strongly disagree with.

I don't have an easy answer for that. I don't have health insurance. Health insurance with a reasonable deductible would actually be fairly cheap for someone of my age and relative health. If I get injured seriously enough and no one would treat me due to my inability to pay for it, it would be no ones fault but my own. I would die and I would deserve it.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008

But there's one problem, its simply unaffordable if you employer does not provide it...