Who should be arrested?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Whose arrest is more important?

• It is more important that John Corzine be in jail than George Zimmerman.

• It is more important that George Zimmerman be in jail than John Corzine.

• Neither of these men should be arrested.

• I don't know but I love voting in polls.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I know the man killed a John Doe kid but the original police report has his name. What else was added or subtracted from that report after is was filled in. Why was the box, no minor involved not checked? Why were three highest ranking officials involved on a a late Sunday night? Why did the video of the man getting out of the police car at the station not have any blood grass or injuries on him. Why were there no injuries visible on the kids body but a hole in his chest, no contusions from that beating he gave. If I believed the man I doubtless could get a job working for the Florida police.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You sure seem to know all about the situation Moonbeam. Is that because you were there?

I think he was framed, you're the shooter.

Of course I have no evidence, but that's not needed. I know in my heart it was you.

Death penalty for Moonbeam, no trial required.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
BoberFett: You sure seem to know all about the situation Moonbeam. Is that because you were there?

M: I may know quite a bit in comparison to yourself but that doesn't mean either that I know a lot or that I had to have been there to know it. I get tired of playing WOW sometimes and watch the news for a break. I happened thereby to have gotten interested in the case and when I listen I can really listen, I guess. The above are some of the data I acquired in the process.

BF: I think he was framed, you're the shooter.

M: No you don't. You just want to imply that I like you just made up my facts. As I said, I have some capacity to absorb what I hear.

BF: Of course I have no evidence, but that's not needed. I know in my heart it was you.

M: Your evidence is absurd whereas mine comes from a deep analysis of the known information, not my own analysis, mind you, but analysis by independent and intelligent thinkers. The facts I gave as facts may turn out to be wrong or explainable in light of new information, but the alibi of the man is full of holes. Why, for example, were his clothes not taken as evidence and his body photographed for signs of a struggle, etc. We shall see what happens when independent investigators deliver their conclusions.

Death penalty for Moonbeam, no trial required.[/QUOTE]

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
You sure seem to know all about the situation Moonbeam. Is that because you were there?

I think he was framed, you're the shooter.

Of course I have no evidence, but that's not needed. I know in my heart it was you.

Death penalty for Moonbeam, no trial required.

Have a tin foil hat.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Corzine's conduct, whether criminal or not, has much further reaching consequences to society than Zimmerman's. The Z case will be largely forgotten in a year. Whether Corzine's case is forgotten or not, it's impact will continue. The disparate media profile between the two is inevitable. Deaths that meet certain criteria for high profile media coverage attract more attention than white collar crimes.

^^This^^

Fern

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Corzine's conduct, whether criminal or not, has much further reaching consequences to society than Zimmerman's. The Z case will be largely forgotten in a year. Whether Corzine's case is forgotten or not, it's impact will continue. The disparate media profile between the two is inevitable. Deaths that meet certain criteria for high profile media coverage attract more attention than white collar crimes.
^^This^^

Fern
Well yeah, but that takes all the fun out of it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That's well said, but except for the last sentence are you sure it's true? Corzine's conduct, whether criminal or not, certainly has more immediate impact, but may still pale in comparison to the economic destruction of widespread riots if such occur from the Martin killing. Also, Corzine's conduct didn't actually destroy any wealth, it merely (legally or otherwise) transferred other people's wealth to Corzine and his cronies. That is true to a degree with riots, but there's also a great deal of destruction and often loss of life.

Also, Martin's killing and the apparent lack of prosecution on its surface indicates a continuance of a horrible thing in our country's past, unequal justice based on race. This indication may well be false, but if it turns out to be true I could argue that this is more destructive to our society than is Corzine's conduct. As it stands, we've had a definite chill in race relations. Plus, Martin's death in and of itself is a diminishing of our society; it guts the lives of his family, all the people who loved him, all the people who would have loved him. I think most people would agree it's better to lose your money than to lose your child. To me that isn't even close. (Although since I've lost a child and I don't have much money to lose it's possible I'm not a good example. LOL)

I'm not necessarily arguing that Martin's killing has a greater impact on society than does Corzine's money, but I do think it's entirely possible. Depending on how this plays out it might not even be close.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That's well said, but except for the last sentence are you sure it's true? Corzine's conduct, whether criminal or not, certainly has more immediate impact, but may still pale in comparison to the economic destruction of widespread riots if such occur from the Martin killing. Also, Corzine's conduct didn't actually destroy any wealth, it merely (legally or otherwise) transferred other people's wealth to Corzine and his cronies. That is true to a degree with riots, but there's also a great deal of destruction and often loss of life.

Also, Martin's killing and the apparent lack of prosecution on its surface indicates a continuance of a horrible thing in our country's past, unequal justice based on race. This indication may well be false, but if it turns out to be true I could argue that this is more destructive to our society than is Corzine's conduct. As it stands, we've had a definite chill in race relations. Plus, Martin's death in and of itself is a diminishing of our society; it guts the lives of his family, all the people who loved him, all the people who would have loved him. I think most people would agree it's better to lose your money than to lose your child. To me that isn't even close. (Although since I've lost a child and I don't have much money to lose it's possible I'm not a good example. LOL)

I'm not necessarily arguing that Martin's killing has a greater impact on society than does Corzine's money, but I do think it's entirely possible. Depending on how this plays out it might not even be close.

I think you make a good point.

At first glance it appears that Zimmerman is of lesser concern because a billion dollars affects more than one life, at least as materialistic societies are concerned.
It does not however deal with the qualitative aspect of how it impacts others. To look at out another way the money taken is insignificant compared to the economy as a whole while Zimmerman raises a potential concern about safety and justice. Which is more important? Well in an absolute sense i'd say that there are more people directly affected by the fraud but fears, principles, and a desire to see justice done are very real if not quantifiable things. Whats more important? That depends on what one values most. There is no absolute answer. The real world doesn't work like that.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

You've said a lot of true things there, but Corzine's case, I would think, could also potentially have long-term impact, in that it reinforces the notion that there's a different justice system for the rich and powerful. If Zimmerman had somehow "lost" millions of dollars entrusted to him, he'd probably be much more likely to face prosecution than Corzine, the powerful banker and former senator. The Corzine case appears to further undermine the public's basic trust in the justice system and the idea of federal oversight of the financial sector.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
If we assume Zimmerman is guilty and he walks, we have a case where some guy got lucky due to circumstances (no other eye witnesses etc). It doesn't necessarily mean the system is corrupt. Guilty people sometime walk because of the protections afforded by the Constitution, and sometime just because of the circumstances (lack of evidence)

If we assume Corzine is guilty and he walks, we have a situation where a wealthy highly connected (former gov and senator) crook walks and it's going to look like our system IS corrupt. We'll look like we have different classes of people who get different treatment. Be rich and well connected and therefore be immune. The more people distrust the fairness in laws, the less likely they are to follow them. It will also undermine confidence in our capital markets which are vital to our economy. I see more potentially wide ranging negative consequences here.

If Z is guilty and walks and I do not see a bunch of people running out to buy guns and go hunt kids with skittles. OTOH, if Corzine finds a way I can see it motivating other people looking to rip a few hundred million. Show em how, and they'll do it. The reward is too great. In the Z case, not so much (if at all, personally I see no 'reward' there, only hassle).

Fern