Who says cruncher PCs are boring?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Insidious
hmmmmm....

It's almost like it should be IGNORED :evil:
Someone said something about ignoring a thread...

I can do that! :laugh:

BTW, nice cruncher. :cool:

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Can't ignore this thread, because that is a nice setup.

/me goes and gets the drool bib and bucket......

:D

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
nice setup mate!!! I'm hopeing to get something similar put together in the next couple of months.. i don't know how much longer I can wait to upgrade my tv :)

xbassman

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Insidious
Originally posted by: xbassman
Great setup dude!

I have had one setup to my 1080i 51' RPTV for a couple of years now.
Last year we bought SageTV and a HDTV card, so it has been tivoing ever since.

Hope you have a big HD! :)

Tell me about the HD card... didn't know I could do that in the US :shocked:

-Sid
Hey Sid,

Sorry so long to reply!

When I set up my HTPC for high def I bought an Avermedia SageTV bundle like this:
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/cPath/43/products_id/146

Then I added another tuner later. Got this one:
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.p...l-hdtv-receiver/cName/hdtv-tuner-cards

I am currently running SageTV 4, but I believe I can upgrade to the latest version for free.
I haven't done it yet since everything is running perfectly. I will probably mirror my HD and give it a try though.

Almost forgot I am using nvidia purevideo bronze codec for playback and to pass Dolby Surround to my 5.1 receiver.

<edit> Looks like the SageTV bundle includes the PureVideo codec now as well! :)

I am not sure what makes it better but I wound up getting rid of my stand alone DVD player because my HTPC does such a better job of playback watching DVD's. (I think it has to do with PureVideo hardware support of my Nvidia 6600GT video card.)

The setup works just like a Tivo. Sage picks up the guide online and you can setup favorites to automatically record or manually select the programs you want. It also keeps your box time synced. I have a roof antenna for reception ands get all networks HD feeds.

Picture quality via antenna is superior to cable and satelite (I have Dish Network HD service)

You can check to see what networks are available in your area @ Antennaweb.org.
Just enter your address and it will tell you what direction to aim your antenna.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Thanks XBM!

I am still trying to figure all this out and help like yours is invaluable to me.

I'm going to To try this method for HD capture. But if this doesn't work well, it'll be over-the-air to the Hauppauge for me too.

I hope a card will come out before too long that can receive my digital signal and make the comcrap box unnecessary. (A little wishfull thinking couldn't hurt... right?)

-Sid

xbassman

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2001
Wow, I didn't know anybody was able to get anything from the firewire.

As to your Comcast box, if it is unscrabled QAM The current HD cards can get it, but it is probably not and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a card that will work.

I am kinda SOL on my HD receiver. I am using a Hauppauge pvr-250 via composite to record from it. Picture kinda sucks, but my wife has a few shows she likes to record with it.

And BTW- OTA HD is better than HD via cable or Sat. It is the uncompressed transport stream. Sat and cable co's have to compress the signal due to bandwidth limitations.

Good Luck on the firewire project! I am looking forward to hearing you have some success. :)