Who pays who in this scenerio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
When you see things like bubble gum machines or coinstars or pay phones in retail businesses, who pays who for the space? I can see it both ways. The kiosks might bring potential customers to the store that might not otherwise come, but then again the store is providing traffic to the kiosks. Which was does it usually work?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: sonambulo
The owner of the kiosk rents from the store.

Most of the time. Sometimes, it's a profit sharing deal in lieu of rent. The store never (AFAIK) pays the kiosk owner.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: MBony
When you see things like bubble gum machines or coinstars or pay phones in retail businesses, who pays who for the space? I can see it both ways. The kiosks might bring potential customers to the store that might not otherwise come, but then again the store is providing traffic to the kiosks. Which was does it usually work?

LOL, would you go into a store specifically to use a bubble gum machine? Those things are there for impulse purchases, nobody goes out of their way to go to one.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: ArJuN
Guess it would depend on location and the exact circumstance. I know my cousin put in an ATM machine in a business that only accepted cash (Some club IIRC). They gave him the space for free and didn't take a cut because they were losing customers who didn't have cash. And I believe the next closest ATM was in another club...go figure.

And most importantly since he only takes cash he is probably only claiming half of what he is bringing in.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: So
Originally posted by: sonambulo
The owner of the kiosk rents from the store.

Most of the time. Sometimes, it's a profit sharing deal in lieu of rent. The store never (AFAIK) pays the kiosk owner.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.