Who makes the best 802.11B routers and USB adapters?

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Hello all. I know there are a lot of threads on this subject, but I haven't found my question really answered. I'd like to keep it under $250 for a router (doesn't matter how many ports) and under $100 for the USB adapters. I'd like to be able to get it from either mWave of NewEgg, but that isn't set in stone.

Thanks,
Swan

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Dell Home has a great deal on the D-link 713P wireless ap/router. ~$155 - $50 rebate this week. Apparently the Orinoco Gold USB adapters are everyone's top pick.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
I'd go with SMC barricade for a router and orinoco gold usb wireless NIC

Probably one of the best consumer level setups available

Rkonster

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2000
For the client cards, Orinoco wins hands down. Both routers that were mentioned are excellent home routers. I've used both the SMC and the Dlink and they are both great, though the newer versions of the Dlink allow you to add external antennas to extend your range, while the SMC does not.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
>>>I know there are a lot of threads on this subject, but I haven't found my question really answered<<<

May be there is no real answer!!!

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I just had a random thought.

Isn't the bandwidth of the regular USB bus less then 11 megabits? If I'm right, how do these USB adapters claim 11 megabits bandwidth? Then again, I could be completely wrong:eek:

Rkonster

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2000

<< I just had a random thought.

Isn't the bandwidth of the regular USB bus less then 11 megabits? If I'm right, how do these USB adapters claim 11 megabits bandwidth? Then again, I could be completely wrong:eek:
>>

USB bandwidth is 11 MBits, but it is shared, so in theory, it will be hard to get a full 11 Mbits in one device. However, 802.11b devices claim 11 Mbits, but max out around 6 or 7 Mbits, if you are lucky, so there isn't much of a problem.

AubZ

Sep 26, 2001
I THINK I read this correctly, but isn't the DLink and SMC basically the same router?

DaveH

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Rkonster, where did you get the info about the newer d-links taking external antennas? Know any model #s?

With the great deals on the 713P, I'd be tempted to pick one up if I could find a good range-boosting antenna for not much cash.

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
All right, thanks for the USB specs. That puts some fears to rest.

I'll see which router I like best. You guys think the D-link is best for its price?

Rkonster

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2000

<< All right, thanks for the USB specs. That puts some fears to rest.

I'll see which router I like best. You guys think the D-link is best for its price?
>>

I think the Dlink is the best in this price range period. The SMC is excellent as well, since it is pretty much identical to the Dlink, but without the removeable antennas. (Both sourced from AMIT).

Rkonster

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2000

<< Rkonster, where did you get the info about the newer d-links taking external antennas? Know any model #s?

With the great deals on the 713P, I'd be tempted to pick one up if I could find a good range-boosting antenna for not much cash.
>>

You can go to dlink's website and look at the antennas. They state that the antennas work on the 713p. Also, I own one, and the antennas are indeed removable. ;)

ASK THE COMMUNITY