Who knew motherboards will tell you when your PSU surges?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by JimKiler, Nov 29, 2017.

1. JimKiler

JimKiler Diamond Member

I got a MSi RX 580 gaming GPU last weekend and i was getting screen flashes on loading screens for games. today i tried to play fortnite and same thing then my PC shutdown. after a few seconds my PC restarted and my ASUS Z97-AR LGA 1150 Motherboard told me my PSU send power surges so to protect the mobo it shut down. Cool, i already bought a Seasonic Titanium Prime PSU and should have it in two days. My current Enermax was purchased in 2007 and was proabably fine with my R9 270 GPU but now that i need an 8 pin connector i am pushing too hard too late in its life. My Enermax is a 720watt unit but probably just on its last leg. now i want to avoid gaming until i can change it out so i don't break any components.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - knew motherboards surges Forum Date
    Power Supply or Motherboard? Power Supplies Aug 14, 2017
    PC will not turn on sometimes just Green light will be ON Power Supplies Jun 11, 2017
    Asus Anti Surge - question. Power Supplies Feb 8, 2017
    Electric ticking noise PSU or MoBo Power Supplies Nov 5, 2016
    Would Corsair TW 750w be compatible with X99 Motherboard + i7 5820k? Power Supplies May 25, 2016

3. UsandThem

UsandThem Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I did :cool:

At least some of them do. There is a overseas user on here who about once every six months posts a question about the Asus anti-surge displaying a message after a power spike/storm. He also says he has bad power in house, doesn't want to fix it or buy a UPS with AVR. You think after it happening 4-5 times it would sink in. ;)

For a replacement PSU, I recommend avoiding Enermax (a good quality PSU shouldn't do what yours did), and taking a look at the EVGA G2 and G3 series, the Seasonic Focus Gold Plus series, or the Corsair RMx series. There are other good units out there, and you can find some by going to JonnyGuru and reading some reviews.

You actually just missed a great sale (in fact the lowest prices I have ever seen) on the EVGA units as they were up to 54% off on their website.

EDIT

I see you already bought a Seasonic Prime (great choice).

JimKiler likes this.
  4. JimKiler

JimKiler Diamond Member

Is Enermax not a good brand anymore? When i bought it 10 years ago to replace a cheap unit that died on day 366 (it had a 365 day warranty) i got it and seemed to be better option although not Seasonic level. I see the Seasonic Prime are the best on the market right now and they even updated it to Ultra Prime Titanium which i got. I have no complaints on my Enermax, it was just time.

5. UsandThem

UsandThem Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

They sell some ok higher end units (like the Revolution X't), but overall they aren't in the same league as top-shelf Seasonic, EVGA, or Corsair. I owned some of their units probably about 16-17 years ago and never really had any big issues.

Here's what JonnyGuru said about them about a year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/c...rands_i_spent_far_too_long/d89m1z1/?context=3

CWT is a little hit and miss on their manufacturing. They supply units to several companies, and sometimes their QA is atrocious. I've seen PSU reviews on some units they made, and they have had loose solder in it, or solder bridging parts that shouldn't be.

6. fleshconsumed

fleshconsumed Diamond Member

They used to be good, and still are. I remember buying Enermax Modu625+ http://www.silentpcreview.com/article806-page1.html which was excellent PSU for it's time. However, the competition is better than them now.